Global Chip Shortage Threatens Production of Laptops, Smartphones and More

Is there any news about the Pyra that I missed? I am starting to get worried. Chip shortages and lockdowns really seem to slow things down. My worry stems mostly from my more pessimistic (and unfortunately so far apparently more realistic) outlook on the lockdowns. Either way, I hope we get some news soon. How many Pyras have been produced? At what rate are they being produced right now? Etc. I am hoping that ED is not waiting for the 2 Weeks to flatten the curve to end. Even if it is at a slow pace, some production is better than nothing. I really have no idea how production is going right now.

Is there any news about the Pyra that I missed? I am starting to get worried. Chip shortages and lockdowns really seem to slow things down. My worry stems mostly from my more pessimistic (and unfortunately so far apparently more realistic) outlook on the lockdowns. Either way, I hope we get some news soon. How many Pyras have been produced? At what rate are they being produced right now? Etc. I am hoping that ED is not waiting for the 2 Weeks to flatten the curve to end. Even if it is at a slow pace, some production is better than nothing. I really have no idea how production is going right now.
I only know what was posted in the other thread. Prepreorders until 105 have been notified to order their Pyras, So that's some 30 more new Pyras sending out right now. I think last number on the first post in that thread was 75 until yesterday?
Or are you asking about some other kind of news ?

Chip Shortage also leads to a Ship Shortage at the end..
So if the ship shortens, then it can no longer block the Suez canal because it's too short and we get our fish and chips and chips.

I am starting to get worried. Chip shortages and lockdowns really seem to slow things down.
(puts on tinfoil hat) They need to allocate some production time to produce 7 million embedable microchips.

so it seems globalization doesn't work that well if you don't have massive economic advantage
it's much better if you can simply exploit poorer nations for manufacturing
fuck globalization

• Love
Reactions: rSl
Agree, but it's too late now as the post-globalization phase has just begun.

I mean, globalization can be good, we just need someone to oversee it.

At this point, it looks like it'll either be Russia or China. ;)

I don't see any chance of it being Russia. They like to hack us, but that's cheap power. China on the other hand have massive infrastructure to make making stuff cheap, and cheap manpower for the time being. It's just a shame for them they're getting into an argument about the uighurs which is unlikely to be good for anyone in the long term. But they did start it /copyright John Cleese.

It's just a shame for them they're getting into an argument about the uighurs which is unlikely to be good for anyone in the long term. But they did start it /copyright John Cleese.
Exactly. China does not want the argument because it's bad for business. If just the west keeps silent (like they keep silent about slavelabour and childlabour), we can get cheap human organs worldwide.

and they have all my devices hacked.
Except the *(future) Pyra?
I want them to get more profits. The margins are very low. Laptops should not be throw-away-to-replace. However, once they meet their targets, there will be a sudden drop in requests... and then what? They'll have more capacity to produce chips, and too few companies asking for them, so they get so cheap that their margins will be very low again. I hope they do not drop the quality, like so many industries, to keep (re)selling you chips.

So: Yes, hole in the market. First one to supply becomes the winner. But run too fast then you have too much production momentum (and will need to close the new factories they build to supply the temporal over-demand), or the old factories because they are less efficient than the new factories. So I guess prices go up now, and say, in 2 years (TM) they drop again. So we'll be stuck with high prices for the Pyra, and low prices once we have our Pyra's.

Reactions: rSl
Not sure, but fabs almost open and close factories every few years because the old lasers don't etch fine enough gates or something. I'm exaggerating, I guess they only sell old machinery and buy or build new one, but opening new factories to cope with demand it's probably not so severe for a chip factory as for others.
And they of course want to spend what it takes to stay a monopoly or close to it. The other continents were startign to think they should really have chip factories on shore.

I thaught they repurpose the fabs that aren't high-end anymore. Making MCs then or other stuff.

I thaught they repurpose the fabs that aren't high-end anymore. Making MCs then or other stuff.
I don't know. But if they repurpose all old fabs always, then they must be building new fabs always. If demand doesn't increase infinitely, then at some point they must throw away the oldest fabs somehow ?
I was only trying to say that they decided to build new fabs now, but they already do build new fabs often so it's not such a huge deal. They will keep more old capacity working until demand is lower again and then stop using more old machinery at once that they do normally.
They will change the moment they do things, but after a long enough interval they'll do the same amount of things they'd've done otherwise. I don't know, I just guess without knowing that business.

Traditionally, fab sites consist of more that one fabrication building (or set of buildings, because the lithographic sheets have to be made somewhere other than where they're projecting them). They rip out one* while building chips in the other.

* Or otherwise convert it. I assume they must have ripped out a lot of them during the transition to 3D transistors, but for the transition from 1µm to 500nm they would have just upgraded the optics.

Back