Global Chip Shortage Threatens Production of Laptops, Smartphones and More

@matzesu ! You and your friends at Washington State University have been uncovered ! Are reporters in Interesting Engineering reading this forum or something ? The start of the article reads as a selection of popular threads here.

Ah, sorry. I missed the link. The CSS for this site is crazy.

Edit: Seems better now I've switched the the dragonbox pyra theme. In the GP32x classic theme, text is black and links are black too with no underlining.

Yeah, so it happened again earlier on some thread or other I was viewing. I assume the issue is the same, although I didn't save the code and check. So it looks like the theme change doesn't fix anything but the colour of links,

Thanks for keeping it in mind I really appreciate it. I'm considering as a work around to stop using this website.

Well, this thread did start about 18 months ago.l At a guess nobody was buying tech during lockdown, so computer maker weren't buying as much DRAM to put in them. DRAM company thinks nobody's buying, it must be too expensive, so start building new DRAM factories.

Meanwhile it appears Europe ran out of Xbox controllers:
"'We know it may be hard finding Xbox Wireless Controllers right now due to supply disruptions,' a Microsoft spokesperson told us.
'We’re working as fast as possible with our manufacturing and retail partners to improve this. Please check with your local retailer for availability.'"

Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/microsoft-has-confirmed-a-shortage-of-xbox-controllers/
Strange. As you buy a controller when you buy your xbox.. then doesn't it point out that xbox controllers break often? All I hear is whiny Microsoft "boohoo, we are missing out on profit" (the fanbase is loyal, right? So it's not like they dump the XBox for another console)
I still see lot's of online offers, at normal prices, so is it a brick-and-mortar problem? You can also buy a cheap secondhand xbox and it will come with a controller too. So in my view, it's great for the second-hand market!
It all gives me a feeling this generation of gameconsoles is broken and needs to be skipped. Also PS5's were not available and with the so-so backwards compatibility, and the still slim amount of games on offer (compared to Xbox at least, with better backwards compatibility). Hopefully The new Nintendo is worth the wait.

ATmega328P shortage. A very popular hobbyist chip with a lot of legacy code depending on it. "Adafruit ordered 9,000 in March 2021 which have not arrived."
The big danger is that they stop producing them because the demand dropped. Because in 2 years, when they set up the machines to produce them in small bulk, by that time hobbyists, universities would have moved on (sure, you can use software, but it's not the same, so you will need something else). And with a smaller consumer base, less production; repeat. And higher prices. Look at the prices for a Z80 (8 euro). And the more capable ATMEL-Mega328P is 2.8 euro

Strange. As you buy a controller when you buy your xbox.. then doesn't it point out that xbox controllers break often? All I hear is whiny Microsoft "boohoo, we are missing out on profit" (the fanbase is loyal, right? So it's not like they dump the XBox for another console)
I still see lot's of online offers, at normal prices, so is it a brick-and-mortar problem? You can also buy a cheap secondhand xbox and it will come with a controller too. So in my view, it's great for the second-hand market!
It all gives me a feeling this generation of gameconsoles is broken and needs to be skipped. Also PS5's were not available and with the so-so backwards compatibility, and the still slim amount of games on offer (compared to Xbox at least, with better backwards compatibility). Hopefully The new Nintendo is worth the wait.
I've never broken an xbox controller. But then I'v e never broken any controller I own, the closest was probably the N64 controller that had a analogue stick axle made of plastic which used to shave a little plastic off each time you swiped. In fact, which i noticed that i went out and bought a third party (I thing Madcatz) contreoller that has a radial pot for vertical attached to to the plastic chassis, and a pot connected to that to do the horizontal. But yeah, never lost a properly engineered controller from PS1, DC, PS2, xbox, GC, Wii, xbox360. The only official controller I've ever bought was a USB connected wired controler for the xbox360 which dso far had provied to be surplus to requirements because I shortly afterwards received by Pandora, so I stropped gaming more or less on my laptop.

Maybe whe should tell the Peaple that you even could use the One Controller on Series, and also the other way round..
the only difference where the Chare Button and the USB C Charging Port,
And it’s feels a bit different..

And you get one Controller whit the Console ..

Maybe whe should tell the Peaple that you even could use the One Controller on Series, and also the other way round..
I think they want the NEW controller, and only the NEW controller. newer=better.
The new model is Thin? I don't care about airflow, it's newer, thus better...
It's the state of today's consumerism.

Back