Ginge

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
GINGE - Ginge Is Not GP2X Emulator - is an application that runs some GP2X software on Wiz.

here is release3 which matches release3 on pandora (finally):
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/ginge/ginge_wiz_r3.zip
Compared with r2, it's mostly Payback support, not much else.

Great. Thanks for this. Glad you found some time to release the new version...

With the Caanoo SDK now readily available, can you compile Ginge r3 for Caanoo?
Being able to play GP2X software on the Caanoo from launch would be a great benefit.

Anyhow, great to hear there's an update, thanks for making Wiz Cavestory a possibility. :)

Has anyone tried this new release? I´ve tried to run several games, that works in the previous version, and the app crash.

Are there any plans for doing this sort of thing with a Wiz to Caanoo scenario, i.e. To run Wiz software on a Caanoo, would that be easier project considering they are so closely matched in hardware?

raindog said:
Has anyone tried this new release? I´ve tried to run several games, that works in the previous version, and the app crash.

Just played Ladykiller and Thruster 1.2, I found no problems...

Last edited by a moderator:
sbock said:
raindog said:

Just played Ladykiller and Thruster 1.2, I found no problems...
Ok, thanks for the info. I guess i did something wrong.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Are there any plans for doing this sort of thing with a Wiz to Caanoo scenario, i.e. To run Wiz software on a Caanoo, would that be easier project considering they are so closely matched in hardware?

Seems redundant if you can just recompile the wiz source as a caanoo binary.
Although true that not every bit of Wiz software is gonna get ported, some devs just up and vanish.

RupeeClock said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

Seems redundant if you can just recompile the wiz source as a caanoo binary.
Although true that not every bit of Wiz software is gonna get ported, some devs just up and vanish.
You're probably right, I think I may have added my post before thinking it through lol.

RupeeClock said:
thanks for making Wiz Cavestory a possibility. :)
Agreed. As the WiZ was my first open handheld, I missed out on the GP2X so I don't know what "must have" games there are for it aside from Cave Story (which I'm familiar with from the PC). Being able to play Cave Story on my WiZ is outstanding ;).

Zaephen said:
Agreed. As the WiZ was my first open handheld, I missed out on the GP2X so I don't know what "must have" games there are for it aside from Cave Story (which I'm familiar with from the PC). Being able to play Cave Story on my WiZ is outstanding ;) .

Have you tried the new Cave Story mod, Jenka's Nightmare yet? (Available here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,56,2852 )
I don't know if it will work through Ginge as I've bricked my Wiz. :(
But it works fine on my F200.

Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
Zaephen said:
Agreed. As the WiZ was my first open handheld, I missed out on the GP2X so I don't know what "must have" games there are for it aside from Cave Story (which I'm familiar with from the PC). Being able to play Cave Story on my WiZ is outstanding ;) .

Have you tried the new Cave Story mod, Jenka's Nightmare yet? (Available here: http://dl.openhandhe...0,0,0,0,56,2852 )
I don't know if it will work through Ginge as I've bricked my Wiz. :(
But it works fine on my F200.

Cheers, Neil

Yes, Jenka's Nightmare works B)

RupeeClock said:
With the Caanoo SDK now readily available, can you compile Ginge r3 for Caanoo?
Being able to play GP2X software on the Caanoo from launch would be a great benefit.
It's not just a matter of recompiling, I'm doing antitear rotation for Wiz, libraries need to be adjusted as they are completely different on Caanoo and OABI kernel support is needed which is unclear if it was enabled by GPH.

Cool!
Payback is impressive.
Cave Story for the Wiz is great!

I also tried some scene demos from GP2X.
Stuff that are ports from older demos and use SDL works.
Many demos natively written not.
* Both Led Blur and Creep Tea works. I ported Led Blur to Wiz days ago and it's the same here.
* Creep tea in Ginge has exactly the same speed performance issue (at few screens) as my unreleased port, because of SDL_Mixer(mikmod?) as I described in another forum. It's funny! But it works great.
* Re-Re-Recycle. I used the second processor for OGG playing. Here it starts, cool, is quite fast and there is just no sound.

Will this force developers to not port stuff? This is what I think.

If one cares about quality release and there is a need it might be done. For example, I will release a Creep Tea port when I find a proper mod lib and make it work. But till now it's funny to be able to run it on Ginge.

From the other hand it might release people from having to port their own old stuff and focus in new software instead.

p.s. I am also curious. Since GP2X is possible to simulate on Wiz and Pandora (because of same ARM processor/SDL calls, etc, etc) does it means that in the future it will be also possible to run some of the Wiz stuff in Pandora too? That would be awesome!

Optimus said:
Cool!
Payback is impressive.
Cave Story for the Wiz is great!

I also tried some scene demos from GP2X.
Stuff that are ports from older demos and use SDL works.
Many demos natively written not.
* Both Led Blur and Creep Tea works. I ported Led Blur to Wiz days ago and it's the same here.
* Creep tea in Ginge has exactly the same speed performance issue (at few screens) as my unreleased port, because of SDL_Mixer(mikmod?) as I described in another forum. It's funny! But it works great.
* Re-Re-Recycle. I used the second processor for OGG playing. Here it starts, cool, is quite fast and there is just no sound.

Will this force developers to not port stuff? This is what I think.

If one cares about quality release and there is a need it might be done. For example, I will release a Creep Tea port when I find a proper mod lib and make it work. But till now it's funny to be able to run it on Ginge.

From the other hand it might release people from having to port their own old stuff and focus in new software instead.

p.s. I am also curious. Since GP2X is possible to simulate on Wiz and Pandora (because of same ARM processor/SDL calls, etc, etc) does it means that in the future it will be also possible to run some of the Wiz stuff in Pandora too? That would be awesome!

And less realistically, Wiz and caanoo stuff on The F200!

just downloaded, thanks for your work, can't wait to play cave story on the wiz!

there are different GINGE threads around here, but my problem is wiz related. so i decide to post here (gravedig?)

when i directly start cave story (yes ... ;) ) using a gpe with ginge_prep, i get massive slowdowns. seems like the it's only 1/10 of the performance. but when i start it using the included menu it works fine.

it's nothing that bugs me very much, but of course it would be nice if there's some way to fix it. don't have the gpe right here, but it just contains /path/to/ginge_prep the_name_of_the_cave_story_gpe.gpe. don't think there's something i could've done wrong here?

crow_riot said:
there are different GINGE threads around here, but my problem is wiz related. so i decide to post here (gravedig?)

when i directly start cave story (yes ... ;) ) using a gpe with ginge_prep, i get massive slowdowns. seems like the it's only 1/10 of the performance. but when i start it using the included menu it works fine.

it's nothing that bugs me very much, but of course it would be nice if there's some way to fix it. don't have the gpe right here, but it just contains /path/to/ginge_prep the_name_of_the_cave_story_gpe.gpe. don't think there's something i could've done wrong here?

The normal ginge.gpe does a lot of preparation (including swapon, if I remember correctly), it's very likely you may need to do the same things before executing Cave Story.

Back