Release Ginge

Just a note: When playing Wiz games with Ginge, it seems like SELECT is mapped as START on the Wiz. And START is not mapped as START, however I haven't tested it enough to tell if it is mapped as SELECT yet.

Also, would it be possible to map extra keys on the Pandora to button combinations? For example, the button combinations for L2 and R2 on pcsx4all are the most uncomfortable combinations to pull off with the Pandora, with customizable buttons, I could set 1 and Del to "press" those combinations when I press them.

Tobriand said:
Also, I'll echo the problems with GPsp: either crashes to GP2x menu (Prince of Persia, Yoshi's Island) or black screens (Wario 4) this is using the option "Unscaled 3:2" with filtering turned off, sound set not to play, frameskip disabled, and CPU speed inside GPsp set to 333MHz. Crashes may be happening as a result of selector too - the pre-GPsp menu for adjusting LCD and CPU settings just acts as though down is pressed continually on my Pandora (probably broken left nub has something to do with it)...

You are not using the most recent version of gpSP. The most recent version does not display the CPUFreq menu before starting the application. Download the most recent version and you should be fine.

Tobriand said:
Finally, I'd like to echo DaveC's request for an unfiltered version. W&W looks MUCH fuzzier than it need do, given how nice it looked on the 2x screen. It may be low down the list of things to do, but it'll make me happy when it turns up :)

I actually kind of agree on this.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to remap buttons either globally or on an app by app basis? The attack and jump seem reversed to me in Cave Story.

With Pandora at 500mhz, frameskip 0, I am getting a solid 60 fps on all games I tried with the latest gp2x release of gpsp. I don't think changing the clock speed setting within the emu menu has any effect, but I'm sure notaz could clarify at some point.

Ah, nice. Really cannot wait to get my hands on a Pandora now! Still have my F100, but it's missing its stick cap, and no longer runs from batteries so it really doesn't get used much. Continuing from my saved games is also going to rock. How well does Snake On Dope run and is the *stoned* effect spoiled at all?

We all knew you rocked anyway notaz, but yeah! You rock dude!

I've been playing Snake on Dope. The stoned effect is not quite as liquid, but it certainly has the same effect on gameplay. :D

I'd love to play some Sleuth Slots too, but it's not making it past the splash screen at this stage (odd, because all the other Ruckage games seem fine).

skeezix said:
further, gpsp native will be along one of these days too.
Yeah, about that... is there any way to see what GINGE is doing to the original code when it runs? Seems to me gpSP is to all intents and purposes running on the Pandora's CPU, so maybe the solution to that niggling cache problem we were having is in there somewhere.

God Ginrai said:
Just a note: When playing Wiz games with Ginge, it seems like SELECT is mapped as START on the Wiz. And START is not mapped as START, however I haven't tested it enough to tell if it is mapped as SELECT yet.
Yeah it seems I mixed them.

DasFool said:
Is there a way to remap buttons either globally or on an app by app basis? The attack and jump seem reversed to me in Cave Story.
Not at the moment.

naples39 said:
I don't think changing the clock speed setting within the emu menu has any effect, but I'm sure notaz could clarify at some point.
Yeah clock related registers are ignored.

Gruso said:
I'd love to play some Sleuth Slots too, but it's not making it past the splash screen at this stage (odd, because all the other Ruckage games seem fine).
If somebody could list non-working stuff with links like here it would be enormous help for me to improve compatibility.

SteveM said:
skeezix said:
further, gpsp native will be along one of these days too.
Yeah, about that... is there any way to see what GINGE is doing to the original code when it runs? Seems to me gpSP is to all intents and purposes running on the Pandora's CPU, so maybe the solution to that niggling cache problem we were having is in there somewhere.
It is doing nothing cache related, I have no idea what's your problem with gpSP.

That's a great release for all the Pandora owners, great work you guys!

But what about the license status, is Ginge opensource? Can I download the code somewhere?
I remember I was able to partially run some GP2X titles on Jornada 720 and Openmoko Freerunner devices, maybe with the help of Ginge I could fully run all the GP2X titles on that platforms?

notaz said:
zear_ said:
But what about the license status, is Ginge opensource? Can I download the code somewhere?
no.

I guess this short answer means you have no interest into expanding Ginge to other platforms? :)
That's a pity, but well, you have full right to do it ;)

notaz said:
SteveM said:
It is doing nothing cache related, I have no idea what's your problem with gpSP.
Well, without going too far off topic: there's a problem which cache invalidation. I believe you wrote the "warm" part for the Wiz port? Would GINGE patch anything in that bit of code of does it get run as-is? If the latter then we'll at least know we need to look elsewhere.

yodaofborg said:
Ah, nice. Really cannot wait to get my hands on a Pandora now! Still have my F100, but it's missing its stick cap, and no longer runs from batteries so it really doesn't get used much. Continuing from my saved games is also going to rock. How well does Snake On Dope run and is the *stoned* effect spoiled at all?

We all knew you rocked anyway notaz, but yeah! You rock dude!

Your welcome to borrow my GP2X F200 if you want fella, It doesn't get used any more :pandora2ut4:

I played around with PSX4All and it seems to run a lot better than psx4pandora. The compatibility is not there yet, but Final Fantasy VII plays a lot better. At 800 mhz and frame skip of 2 it needed to have frame limiting turned on. So I set it to frame skip of 1 and frame limiter on and it runs great. I'm not sure if the Wiz CPU setting has any effect on the Pandora CPU. I haven't messed around with too many other settings yet. I haven't had any luck with Final Fantasy IX or Dragon Warrior VII yet.

MUMBL35 said:
I played around with PSX4All and it seems to run a lot better than psx4pandora. The compatibility is not there yet, but Final Fantasy VII plays a lot better. At 800 mhz and frame skip of 2 it needed to have frame limiting turned on. So I set it to frame skip of 1 and frame limiter on and it runs great. I'm not sure if the Wiz CPU setting has any effect on the Pandora CPU. I haven't messed around with too many other settings yet. I haven't had any luck with Final Fantasy IX or Dragon Warrior VII yet.

I don't think the Wiz '800mhz' setting does anything, the Pandora is clocked to 500mhz AFAIK.

craigix said:
MUMBL35 said:

I don't think the Wiz '800mhz' setting does anything, the Pandora is clocked to 500mhz AFAIK.

I had the pandora set to 800 mhz, just didn't know if the Wiz clock effected it at all.

zear_ said:
notaz said:
zear_ said:
no.

I guess this short answer means you have no interest into expanding Ginge to other platforms? :)
That's a pity, but well, you have full right to do it ;)
If you are thinking Dingoo... It's not so straightforward I'd guess. it's MIPS Vs ARM and it's like asking to port WINE to other platforms. But... I could be wrong.

Also just a note that Wind&Water crashes for me when I try to enter the shop.

DasFool said:
For Cave Story, there's a text file in its folder called something like "GP2X Buttons" - you can edit this and the change will be reflected in-game. That's what I did. :) It was rather fantastic editing it on my Pandora itself.

PokeParadox said:
If you are thinking Dingoo... It's not so straightforward I'd guess. it's MIPS Vs ARM and it's like asking to port WINE to other platforms. But... I could be wrong.
Of course I'm not thinking about the Dingoo, because I'm aware Dingoo is MIPS and Ginge is not an emulator ;)
I am thinking about Jornada 7XX series and Openmoko Freerunner, which are both ARM devices running linux, which I managed to run some of the gp2x binaries on in the past.

Back