GINGE Community input!

Hooka

That Guy!
Website
Visit site
So I want to get the communities input on some GINGE-related issues...

I was gonna make a poll, but it seems you can only pose one question in a poll in these forums...

1. Should I use a non-official skin for the Wiz to prevent screen burn in (mine winds up with anything in white burning in temporarily even if it's only there for a second...)

2. Do you guys want me to compile new compilation packs for Wiz/Caanoo after I migrate some of my changes and get compatibility up for them too?

3. Is F300 support something anybody is interested in? I have an F300 that I can test on, so it's just a matter of figuring out how Picodrive is detecting the screen rotation and making GINGE do the same.

4. I've ran into various issues with PXML stuff that doesn't/hasn't worked, would you guys appreciate it if I modified libpnd to actually change clockspeed, support multiple icons and possibly even subcategories under the main categories (ie, having SNES and GP2X subdirs under emulators, etc.)?

5. Is Caanoo support something everyone is interested in?

6. Is everyone interested in gmenu2x as an option for a Pandora menu? AKA If I take the time to keep working on it, should I do so as a GINGE thing and leave it as 320X240 or should I try refactoring it to higher resolutions and adding pnd/binary support and integrating GINGE support?

Last edited:
2. Sure.
4. That's something to discuss with the maintainers, but why not if it doesn't break anything.
7. Slackware support ! ^^

1. You mean when running Ginge on the WIZ? Or WIZ stuff on the Pandora? The Pandora shouldn't get burnt in.

2. Sure, I never really followed the Wiz/Caanoo, maybe there are som neat games out there?

4. Clockspeed should work, but not libpnd does that, it's pnd_run. Multiple icons would be awesome, something I missed since the early days when I packaged pickle's Vice-Port, subcategories could turn into a mess if PND maintainers didn't really care about that yet, but you could implement that as an option via config file. But these changes should be tested and go into the OS, not just in your PND.

6. The latter one would rock. An additional optional menu with PND and Ginge-support built in :) gmenu2x was in development for the Pandora (from the original author), but he didn't have time anymore (the changes should be in the GIT already). The cpasjuste wanted to create a menu which he never finished and that's why skeezix slapped up MiniMenu in record speed shortly before the first Pandoras shipped.

If I might make a suggestion - not having all those menu items would be a good start. GINGE for Pandora already has a browser built-in so you can choose your games from that - do we really need all these icons?

And they're in the wrong menu, to boot.

D.

GINGE for Pandora already has a browser built-in so you can choose your games from that - do we really need all these icons?
And they're in the wrong menu, to boot.
D.

Standard browser in ginge is pretty bad, using GMenu2X in Ginge would be the best solution for this problem imho. Until then I like having these shortcuts.
I use mini-menu - list instead of icons - and you can skip through them fast.

EvilDragon: Yeah, I mean for when you run GINGE on wiz, the current skin tends to almost burn in the white controller icon, etc. after just a second of being on screen...

Linux-SWAT: #7 is a definite, just need to find some time to figure out what the issue is...

ZXDunny: My logic was that the gp2xmenu is slow and clunky, but I'll see what I can do :) P.S. do you use minimenu or xfce? in xfce they show up in the emulator menu, but minimenu automagically puts them into the games category (as according to those stupid x11 categories, emulators are a submenu under games...)

gic was that the gp2xmenu is slow and clunky, but I'll see what I can do :) P.S. do you use minimenu or xfce? in xfce they show up in the emulator menu, but minimenu automagically puts them into the games category (as according to those stupid x11 categories, emulators are a submenu under games...)

Yeah, I'm using XFCE - my emulators menu has inflated enormously. It's a shame we have no mechanism for specifying submenus... Maybe we'll do better for the Pyra. Mednafen also suffers from this.

I tend to use GINGE to play games I have stored in a folder, rather than from individual PNDs - would be lovely if you could get GMenu2X running and have it all in one PND, or allow separate downloads of games into one place and uncluttering the menu in XFCE.

D.

Don't worry, I'm looking into it... :)

Heh, I guess I'm just used to the excessive xfce menus... my 128GB Card has pretty much everything on it and ginge, remood, mednafen and a couple others do chew up a bit of space, but I find it easier to hit X and pagedown a few pages, takes less time...

Heh, I guess I'm just used to the excessive xfce menus... my 128GB Card has pretty much everything on it and ginge, remood, mednafen and a couple others do chew up a bit of space, but I find it easier to hit X and pagedown a few pages, takes less time...
I had upwards of 250 PNDs on my SD card at some point, and for the past couple of months I've been trying to pare them down to a few dozen I'll really enjoy and have time to play (as of today I'm still at over 200). It's crazy how even on a niche platform like Pandora there's enough content to keep you busy for several lifetimes...

So I want to get the communities input on some GINGE-related issues...

I was gonna make a poll, but it seems you can only pose one question in a poll in these forums...

1. Should I use a non-official skin for the Wiz to prevent screen burn in (mine winds up with anything in white burning in temporarily even if it's only there for a second...)

2. Do you guys want me to compile new compilation packs for Wiz/Caanoo after I migrate some of my changes and get compatibility up for them too?

3. Is F300 support something anybody is interested in? I have an F300 that I can test on, so it's just a matter of figuring out how Picodrive is detecting the screen rotation and making GINGE do the same.

4. I've ran into various issues with PXML stuff that doesn't/hasn't worked, would you guys appreciate it if I modified libpnd to actually change clockspeed, support multiple icons and possibly even subcategories under the main categories (ie, having SNES and GP2X subdirs under emulators, etc.)?

5. Is Caanoo support something everyone is interested in?

6. Is everyone interested in gmenu2x as an option for a Pandora menu? AKA If I take the time to keep working on it, should I do so as a GINGE thing and leave it as 320X240 or should I try refactoring it to higher resolutions and adding pnd/binary support and integrating GINGE support?

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I never got around to replying to all the points via my phone over the Xmas (or whatever) period.

1. No objection to that. I don't have a Wiz personally, so it doesn't concern me, but if it helps people that do have a Wiz then that's a positive.
  2. As above.
  3. Again as above! xD
  4. I would appreciate modifications for subcategories and multiple icons. I think clockspeed is already supported.
  5. More software is always welcome! :p
  6. Personally I'd like GMenu2X within GINGE and eventually a SwitchGUI option.
PS Thanks again for your efforts in improving GINGE! :)

I would appreciate modifications for subcategories and multiple icons. I think clockspeed is already supported.

If it is, doesn't seem to work for me to set clockspeed in pxml, but putting a cpuspeed file in the pnd will change the clockspeed globally for entire pnd which I don't always want...

If I remember at all correctly, the clock speed in the PND was designed as the minimum clock speed, so that people who were underclocking would be able to run everything provided their system maximum speed was up to it. But in practice it's not been very widely used, as 600MHz owners often seem to want to try out software that only runs well at 1GHz and so on.

It's kind of assumed that software is able to regulate its own minimum frame rate, and that's almost always the case for stuff designed for the Pandora running on a Pandora, but I imagine we'll find a few more problems when we try to run them on a Pyra.

I'm not sure what the best course of action is from here. I didn't design the PXML format, so I don't know if I understand all the reasons behind it correctly.

Back