Release Ginge

Reo

Wiz support? Holy fuck. I don't even own a Pandora, but that sounds so kick-ass anyway.

ndbsolar

Website
Visit site
zx-81 said:
all my homebrew/ports are working fine using Ginge ! (chess, mancala, go game and all emulators ...)
With the fact that they are working on Ginge, as a developer would that discourage you from making native ports of your software?

Last edited by a moderator:

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
ndbsolar said:
zx-81 said:
all my homebrew/ports are working fine using Ginge ! (chess, mancala, go game and all emulators ...)
With the fact that they are working on Ginge, as a developer would that discourage you from making native ports of your software?
It's a tricky question isn't it. If it works fine and does not need high resolution, why should they not just wrap their game/emu/app in Ginge?

It's a pretty awesome way to get a huge library of software fast and easily.

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
Spirit said:
(How) Can I pass commandline arguments to .gpe applications?
There is 'ginge_prep' in the .pnd, you call it like this:
Code:
cd /gp2x_game
/path/to/ginge_prep ./some_game.gpe --some_argument

Wolfsclaw

can't be longer than 2 months right?
Website
Visit site
craigix said:
ndbsolar said:
zx-81 said:
It's a tricky question isn't it. If it works fine and does not need high resolution, why should they not just wrap their game/emu/app in Ginge?

Though not everyone's a fan of black borders :p

TJFBryant

Island Man with Pandora in my pocket
trying to get W and W puzzle battles to work .... Is there any particular place I need to place these files for it to work. I get knocked back to the Mini Menu whenever I start up a GPE file.

For some reason I can't get any GPE files or games working. I know I am doing something very wrong.

Michoko

I'm really impressed. I would have never suspected the Pandora could be such a wonderful emulation platform...

cosam

Website
www.cosam.org
Very impressive stuff. I'd never have expected Wiz support so early on. Now just a few tweaks and we'll be playing Caanoo games too, right? ;-)

craigix said:
ndbsolar said:
Because your other dev mates will laugh at you? ;-) Seriously though, if the original really pushed the hardware, or there were compromises made to get thing running adequately, a native port is of course always going to be better. But if it's a simple enough app the benefits of a native port may be outweighed by the time required to alter the code. I mean, does anyone really care about a bit of emulation overhead when you're only using 10% of the system's resources anyway? That said, there's usually something to add when porting to a new platform, like making use of different types of controls, etc.

Personally I think the real value is being able to play titles for which the source code is no longer available (or never was in the first place).

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
ndbsolar said:
zx-81 said:
I will have more time to focus on ports that haven't been made for gp2x :)

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
Wolfsclaw said:
Though not everyone's a fan of black borders :p
In the menu -> settings you can set the video fullscreen mode, and there is no black borders ...

TJFBryant

Is there any particular place the GPE files need to go for this to work. I get bumbed back to the MMenu screen when I try to execute a GPE file. In particular the W and W puzzle Battles.
I am desperately trying to figure out a resolution for this. THanks

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
craigix said:

I encourage all Pandora software, especially emulators, to make at least some use of the non-game keys, as alternate shortcuts for things like entering the menu or saving/loading.

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
@TJFBryant, all I can tell you is how mine is set up. I have an existing 8GB card still set up for GP2X. It has the usual folders:

\game
\emus
\ebook
\movies

etc etc.

I created a new \gp2x folder in the root, and dumped all the existing GP2X content into that. (So now the only folder in the root is \gp2x). Then I made a \pandora folder in the root, and set it up as per a regular Pandora SD. I dropped GINGE into \pandora\desktop, and barring any compatibility issues, everything runs fine. :)

[edit] In short, the trick may be to ensure all GPEs are in their respective subfolders under a 'game' folder.

TJFBryant

Gruso said:
@TJFBryant, all I can tell you is how mine is set up. I have an existing 8GB card still set up for GP2X. It has the usual folders:

\game
\emus
\ebook
\movies

etc etc.

I created a new \gp2x folder in the root, and dumped all the existing GP2X content into that. (So now the only folder in the root is \gp2x). Then I made a \pandora folder in the root, and set it up as per a regular Pandora SD. I dropped GINGE into \pandora\desktop, and barring any compatibility issues, everything runs fine. :)

[edit] In short, the trick may be to ensure all GPEs are in their respective subfolders under a 'game' folder.
Thank you so much Gruso.
I appreciate the help very much. I remember now what I;ve done wrong. Thanks for the refresher.. Truth be told I sold my GP2X F100 and F200 a few years ago and kept its programs but lost all organization of all files.
Thanks again. I owe you a Coke.

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
TJFBryant said:
Gruso said:

\game
\emus
\ebook
\movies

etc etc.

Thank you so much Gruso.
I appreciate the help very much. I remember now what I;ve done wrong. Thanks for the refresher.. Truth be told I sold my GP2X F100 and F200 a few years ago and kept its programs but lost all organization of all files.
Thanks again. I owe you a Coke.
This is really agitating me, TJB did you steal the Shakespeare folio from the University of Durham?

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=kMK&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&q=raymond%20scott%20durham&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=671

It's uncanny! I thought you were in prison.