Release Ginge

Sounds amazing, thanks for the effort!

...Wow, 2+ hours to download 3.2MB?! :blink: ...any chance of putting this on the File Archive or App Store? ...Oh wait, only 20 minutes now! :)

Looking forward to picking up Brass Munkey again! :)

EmuGuy said:

...Wow, 2+ hours to download 3.2MB?! :blink: ...any chance of putting this on the File Archive or App Store? ...Oh wait, only 20 minutes now! :)

I've put it on Pandora apps for this reason, but I can remove it if Notaz does not want a proper release yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
TJFBryant said:
Gruso said:
@TJFBryant, all I can tell you is how mine is set up. I have an existing 8GB card still set up for GP2X. It has the usual folders:

\game
\emus
\ebook
\movies

etc etc.

I created a new \gp2x folder in the root, and dumped all the existing GP2X content into that. (So now the only folder in the root is \gp2x). Then I made a \pandora folder in the root, and set it up as per a regular Pandora SD. I dropped GINGE into \pandora\desktop, and barring any compatibility issues, everything runs fine. :)

[edit] In short, the trick may be to ensure all GPEs are in their respective subfolders under a 'game' folder.

Thank you so much Gruso.
I appreciate the help very much. I remember now what I;ve done wrong. Thanks for the refresher.. Truth be told I sold my GP2X F100 and F200 a few years ago and kept its programs but lost all organization of all files.
Thanks again. I owe you a Coke.

This is really agitating me, TJB did you steal the Shakespeare folio from the University of Durham?

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=kMK&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&q=raymond%20scott%20durham&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=671

It's uncanny! I thought you were in prison.

Nah, the bloke in Prison is my Twin half brother from my mothers third marriage. I am free to roam this globe to harrass all and ask retarded questions on the Gp32x Boards.
Uncanny is right....damn... I better change my Avatar. :p

craigix said:
EmuGuy said:

I've put it on Pandora apps for this reason, but I can remove it if Notaz does not want a proper release yet.

Cheers!

Does GINGE keep the old gmae paths for Save Files 'n stuff?
For Example, when I have GINGE onto my Pandora SD in slot 1 and I put my old GP2X SD in slot 2 to play the programms there with ginge, do the GP2X programms save their stuff correctly in their old places or has ginge it's own folders?
Or do I need GINGE onto the old GP2X SD to make it work?
...I just want to be prepared until my Pandora arrives. :)

OK, I've got most things running fine, but Cave Story kicks out to the Ginge menu after I run gpe file. What am I doing wrong for this game, when other things run OK?

Chris

Wolfsclaw said:
craigix said:
ndbsolar said:
zx-81 said:
all my homebrew/ports are working fine using Ginge ! (chess, mancala, go game and all emulators ...)
With the fact that they are working on Ginge, as a developer would that discourage you from making native ports of your software?

It's a tricky question isn't it. If it works fine and does not need high resolution, why should they not just wrap their game/emu/app in Ginge?

It's a pretty awesome way to get a huge library of software fast and easily.

Though not everyone's a fan of black borders :p
I despise black borders :angry:
Every Pandora video I've seen with them agitates the f*ck out of me, it's such a waste of that lovely screen.

I spent many, many hours playing Cave Story last night while I couldn't access the forum - I'm absolutely delighted. :D Ginge is easily one of the greatest programs I've ever used. Thanks muchly.

fusion_power said:
Does GINGE keep the old gmae paths for Save Files 'n stuff?
For Example, when I have GINGE onto my Pandora SD in slot 1 and I put my old GP2X SD in slot 2 to play the programms there with ginge, do the GP2X programms save their stuff correctly in their old places or has ginge it's own folders?
Or do I need GINGE onto the old GP2X SD to make it work?
...I just want to be prepared until my Pandora arrives. :)
I don't have my old GP2X SD Card anymore, myself, and I can say that it works fine if you just have a directory full of GP2X games in their respective folders, too. :) (In my case, I have a directory named GP2X right alongside all of my other system-specific ones.) The GP2X apps do seem to save their stuff where they're supposed to.

jumpman said:
OK, I've got most things running fine, but Cave Story kicks out to the Ginge menu after I run gpe file. What am I doing wrong for this game, when other things run OK?

Chris
Have you got Cave Story in its own folder, as it is when you extract it from its zip file, and all that? I never encountered this - it just worked right away.

jumpman said:

Try removing it and start again with clean files. Apparently it unpacks some files. Maybe that went wrong. It runs fine for me.

Could someone try to "un-pnd" it and run anything? I get framebuffer errors and segfaults.

gPsp runs really nice (and what a great menu it has). I could not access the menu in "Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow" though.
Quake runs with ~40fps on 500MHz and ~60fps on 750MHz. I tried to install Albion but apparently I did something wrong. It goes straight back to the menu. Is there a log written somewhere? Is it possible to windowize the menu?

Spirit said:
jumpman said:

Try removing it and start again with clean files. Apparently it unpacks some files. Maybe that went wrong. It runs fine for me.

Could someone try to "un-pnd" it and run anything? I get framebuffer errors and segfaults.

gPsp runs really nice (and what a great menu it has). I could not access the menu in "Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow" though.
Quake runs with ~40fps on 500MHz and ~60fps on 750MHz. I tried to install Albion but apparently I did something wrong. It goes straight back to the menu. Is there a log written somewhere? Is it possible to windowize the menu?
Great advice guys/gals. I started over again, and it's working fine.

Notaz, this program is frickin GREAT! I just sent a donation to say thanks for all the work in the past, and your current projects. I'm looking forward to 32X support for picodrive, but with creativity like this, I'm more interested in some of your original ideas. Truly outstanding!

Chris

Spirit said:
gPsp runs really nice (and what a great menu it has).

Haaaa, you've got to be the first person to think so. You would not believe how many complaints I've received over the menu.

Wow. I would say notaz is my hero, but he kind of already was. Had to find the ol' gp2x and tap that SD card.

Got mame4allwiz running. Outrun runs so beautifully. Had some sound issues but I thinking changing to 15khz fixed that.

One thing I'm wondering about is emulation performance. I was hoping (perhaps naively) that emus such as gpsp would run faster on ginge-pandora than they did on gp2x. I think it does run slightly better (can't say I remember exact fps back on gp2x), but the performance seemed to be constant no matter what speed I set the pandora to or whatever gp2x clock speed I selected in gpsp menu. What is the best way to maximize the performance of old emus? Are certain old emus just performance capped in some way?

Also, anyone know what the pandora keys are for gp2x vol+ and stick click? Pandora comma and period both seem to do vol-.

I still think emus should be directly ported when possible, but for a game like animatch is really doesn't need to be ported. It doesn't need the keyboard or touchscreen or anything, and ginge's scaling works just fine.

I would fully expect GINGE to be ignoring the system clock values instead of trying to turn them into clock values on the native platform.

gpSP is "performance capped" to not run faster than it's supposed to, which is 60fps - but you can turn this off. If you have frameskip on, turn that off too. I dunno about overclocking Pandora with GINGE, it's possible that it's setting the clock speed on its own. I'd check the readme but I don't have a Pandora here or another way to expand the PND.

Exophase said:
I would fully expect GINGE to be ignoring the system clock values instead of trying to turn them into clock values on the native platform.

gpSP is "performance capped" to not run faster than it's supposed to, which is 60fps - but you can turn this off. If you have frameskip on, turn that off too. I dunno about overclocking Pandora with GINGE, it's possible that it's setting the clock speed on its own. I'd check the readme but I don't have a Pandora here or another way to expand the PND.

D'oh. I always forget these pnd's have readme's accessible on the pandora.

I guess it's something about the interaction of ginge and gpsp and the frameskip code, I don't know, but turning the frameskip to 0 seemed to do the trick; racing gears holding steady at 60fps. I am a happy man. :)

Back