Release Ginge

Wiz support? Holy fuck. I don't even own a Pandora, but that sounds so kick-ass anyway.

zx-81 said:
all my homebrew/ports are working fine using Ginge ! (chess, mancala, go game and all emulators ...)
With the fact that they are working on Ginge, as a developer would that discourage you from making native ports of your software?

Last edited by a moderator:
ndbsolar said:
zx-81 said:
all my homebrew/ports are working fine using Ginge ! (chess, mancala, go game and all emulators ...)
With the fact that they are working on Ginge, as a developer would that discourage you from making native ports of your software?

It's a tricky question isn't it. If it works fine and does not need high resolution, why should they not just wrap their game/emu/app in Ginge?

It's a pretty awesome way to get a huge library of software fast and easily.

Spirit said:
(How) Can I pass commandline arguments to .gpe applications?
There is 'ginge_prep' in the .pnd, you call it like this:
Code:
cd /gp2x_game
/path/to/ginge_prep ./some_game.gpe --some_argument

craigix said:
ndbsolar said:
zx-81 said:

It's a tricky question isn't it. If it works fine and does not need high resolution, why should they not just wrap their game/emu/app in Ginge?

Though not everyone's a fan of black borders :p

trying to get W and W puzzle battles to work .... Is there any particular place I need to place these files for it to work. I get knocked back to the Mini Menu whenever I start up a GPE file.

For some reason I can't get any GPE files or games working. I know I am doing something very wrong.

I'm really impressed. I would have never suspected the Pandora could be such a wonderful emulation platform...

Very impressive stuff. I'd never have expected Wiz support so early on. Now just a few tweaks and we'll be playing Caanoo games too, right? ;-)

craigix said:
ndbsolar said:

Because your other dev mates will laugh at you? ;-) Seriously though, if the original really pushed the hardware, or there were compromises made to get thing running adequately, a native port is of course always going to be better. But if it's a simple enough app the benefits of a native port may be outweighed by the time required to alter the code. I mean, does anyone really care about a bit of emulation overhead when you're only using 10% of the system's resources anyway? That said, there's usually something to add when porting to a new platform, like making use of different types of controls, etc.

Personally I think the real value is being able to play titles for which the source code is no longer available (or never was in the first place).

ndbsolar said:
zx-81 said:

I will have more time to focus on ports that haven't been made for gp2x :)

Wolfsclaw said:
Though not everyone's a fan of black borders :p

In the menu -> settings you can set the video fullscreen mode, and there is no black borders ...

Is there any particular place the GPE files need to go for this to work. I get bumbed back to the MMenu screen when I try to execute a GPE file. In particular the W and W puzzle Battles.
I am desperately trying to figure out a resolution for this. THanks

craigix said:

I encourage all Pandora software, especially emulators, to make at least some use of the non-game keys, as alternate shortcuts for things like entering the menu or saving/loading.

@TJFBryant, all I can tell you is how mine is set up. I have an existing 8GB card still set up for GP2X. It has the usual folders:

\game
\emus
\ebook
\movies

etc etc.

I created a new \gp2x folder in the root, and dumped all the existing GP2X content into that. (So now the only folder in the root is \gp2x). Then I made a \pandora folder in the root, and set it up as per a regular Pandora SD. I dropped GINGE into \pandora\desktop, and barring any compatibility issues, everything runs fine. :)

[edit] In short, the trick may be to ensure all GPEs are in their respective subfolders under a 'game' folder.

Gruso said:
@TJFBryant, all I can tell you is how mine is set up. I have an existing 8GB card still set up for GP2X. It has the usual folders:

\game
\emus
\ebook
\movies

etc etc.

I created a new \gp2x folder in the root, and dumped all the existing GP2X content into that. (So now the only folder in the root is \gp2x). Then I made a \pandora folder in the root, and set it up as per a regular Pandora SD. I dropped GINGE into \pandora\desktop, and barring any compatibility issues, everything runs fine. :)

[edit] In short, the trick may be to ensure all GPEs are in their respective subfolders under a 'game' folder.

Thank you so much Gruso.
I appreciate the help very much. I remember now what I;ve done wrong. Thanks for the refresher.. Truth be told I sold my GP2X F100 and F200 a few years ago and kept its programs but lost all organization of all files.
Thanks again. I owe you a Coke.

TJFBryant said:
Gruso said:

\game
\emus
\ebook
\movies

etc etc.

Thank you so much Gruso.
I appreciate the help very much. I remember now what I;ve done wrong. Thanks for the refresher.. Truth be told I sold my GP2X F100 and F200 a few years ago and kept its programs but lost all organization of all files.
Thanks again. I owe you a Coke.

This is really agitating me, TJB did you steal the Shakespeare folio from the University of Durham?

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=kMK&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&q=raymond%20scott%20durham&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=671

It's uncanny! I thought you were in prison.

Back