GINGE

Mr 2X

Website
lostsite.altervista.org
I'm very interested about GP2X emulator by notaz. I'ld like to know if it's a proper emulator or something like, and if it has good performance (or just a tech demo).
It would be great to play some GP2X homebrews that haven't been ported B)

Please notaz give us some infos :)

Anarchy says that it can play "Cave Story" well so... incredible piece of software!

Hokutoy said:
Anarchy says that it can play "Cave Story"
Whut.
Erm notaz will you port this to the Caanoo? :3

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'm wondering is whether Ginge is somekind of alternative firmware that you can boot (without killing the wiz FW) is it an application emulator, which you launch. Or whether it's some kind of software wrapper that will let you launch GP2X executables.

Well I'll just quote part of readme:

Code:
GINGE - Ginge Is Not GP2X Emulator

About
-----

Ginge is an application that can run many GP2X F100/F200 games on other ARM
Linux platforms, which currently includes Wiz. It is not a full hardware
emulator like MAME, PicoDrive or similar, it does not emulate the CPU. It can
be considered as compatibility layer similar to Wine on PC Linux, however it
does emulate small portion of MMSP2 system-on-chip. It operates by hooking
certain system calls and using realtime patching of code that accesses memory
mapped hardware directly.

Very interesting and absolutely unexpected. :)

Can you say something about how good the compatibility is? What's with applications which use the GP2x graphic hardware or the second CPU?

Second CPU is not supported, I don't think it's worth the effort handling it.
Most usefult operations of GP2X blitter are implemented, enough for hardware accelerated SDL apps to function.
It works with most things I throw at it, including Payback demo.

notaz said:

Great. Thanks for the infos. Cave Story and Payback Demo. I love it. :D

How's the performance however? Does Ginge handle stuff at a playable FPS? I know it's not nice to ask until it's released, but it's just so interesting!

This sounds cool and if I get the Caanoo and this is ported to it should make the transition much easier and will be a good way to play games made by devs not around any more and who didn't open source their games.

You do some great work notaz.

sbock said:
notaz said:

Great. Thanks for the infos. Cave Story and Payback Demo. I love it. :D
Cool stuff, hope it works with the full Payback too!

The full version of Payback doesn't use the 2nd core (I remember discussing it with the dev, he said his major bottleneck was memory constraints, so he didn't want to put in all the extra effort for little to no performance increase...), so hopefully it works :)

Notaz: I could almost e-hug you for this man, beautiful work! The only thing that would've blown that outta the water imo would've been a fullspeed GP32 emu, but that's just me...

i'm really impressed! i thought that it would be the way to go for gp2x but never thought that anyone makes it. but here you come :)

all-thumbs-up.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance. Is this released yet, and if so, where ?
Thanks and BR

Anes Lihovac said:
Sorry for my ignorance. Is this released yet, and if so, where ?
Thanks and BR

no not released yet. every entry that was sent in for the spanish compo is due to release on the 16th of august.

So as a Wiz owner and newcomer to open handheld gaming, can someone direct me to a nice list of software that I've missed out on that this device can emulate? Anyone ever try to come up with a ratings system that I can reference to help me decide what is worth getting into?

notaz said:
Well I'll just quote part of readme:

Code:
GINGE - Ginge Is Not GP2X Emulator
About
-----
Ginge is an application that can run many GP2X F100/F200 games on other ARM
Linux platforms

Notaz keeps surprising us with amazing stuff! I am very curious to see reports how well it performs on the Wiz.

Two questions (sorry for getting slightly off- Wiz topic). How easy is this to port it to other Arm Linux platforms? Would a rooted Android phone like my G1 be capable of running it?

Back