Get ready to rumble!

I didn't expect the early prototypes to sell given the price (honestly thought either none would sell, or perhaps just one) so I have certainly been proven wrong there (and very happy about it too).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll wait. I don't have the time, and let the emu and game makers get the first 200.
Number 500 or 1000 would be great too to have. 

I hope devs, Grench and other prototype buyers will occasionally post what they are doing and how things are going, good and bad.

I'm thinking very dark orange for the case and buttons/stylus to match the keyboard Fn layer color.   B)  It's that or dark red with black buttons...

Check with ED to see if one of the prototype cases can be made in your dark orange with the Fn color other stuff.  Looking forward to pics when you get it.  Also, try the Red Hot Stylus in it.

Edit: Maybe ED can be convinced to include a US 4G module in your prototype.
That would be an experimental color choice if available.  Might be a cool prototype color, but not practical for production units.  ED said some of these might have odd colors and I'm on board with that concept.

Playing with the RHS optons is high on my list (of course).  I should be able to create a prototype to fit my prototype.

With any luck, I'll have a US 4G module or ED will be using the international one.  If software support allows, I plan to test that on AT&T.

I'm an experienced beta tester.  It won't go to waste.  If I feel I lack time or am out of things to test and can figure out a way to insure I get it back, I may loan it out for a few weeks to a US dev - maybe.

Fun times.

I didn't expect the early prototypes to sell given the price (honestly thought either none would sell, or perhaps just one) so I have certainly been proven wrong there (and very happy about it too).

I'm quite surprised too, especially considering they will likely be barely working at the beginning, the base OS should be ok thanks to Debian and aTc's efforts (still likely missing tweaks), but hardware support is likely to be really poor: barely working and tearing display, probably no 3D acceleration, we don't know if sound and wifi will even work (not tested on early CPU board), HDMI will likely be unusable due to problems with drivers (unless booted without LCD out), and probably much more unexpected breakage. It's great that Nikolaus not only does hardware design but also can do kernel work, but the work needed for things like this should not be underestimated. I've burned huge amounts of time in early pandora days to get things working, but there is no way I can commit to that these days, probably not even 10% of what it was. General OMAP support in kernel has improved a great deal since those days, but still I'm not as optimistic as ED was in the description of those prototypes.

I'm quite surprised too, especially considering they will likely be barely working at the beginning, the base OS should be ok thanks to Debian and aTc's efforts (still likely missing tweaks), but hardware support is likely to be really poor: barely working and tearing display, probably no 3D acceleration, we don't know if sound and wifi will even work (not tested on early CPU board), HDMI will likely be unusable due to problems with drivers (unless booted without LCD out), and probably much more unexpected breakage. It's great that Nikolaus not only does hardware design but also can do kernel work, but the work needed for things like this should not be underestimated. I've burned huge amounts of time in early pandora days to get things working, but there is no way I can commit to that these days, probably not even 10% of what it was. General OMAP support in kernel has improved a great deal since those days, but still I'm not as optimistic as ED was in the description of those prototypes.
All very true and expected in the title of prototype.  Anyone expecting a fully working commercial product with proper software support at this stage is delusional.

What tipped the scales for me was Ed stating that the prototypes would get updated boards if there is a substantive revision for production.  It lowers the chance of the unit being a doorstop.

The available prototypes sold fast.  I would like to think that general project support is a factor in that.

Good idea to only post this caveat after the prototypes have been sold;-)

That said, people can donate to accelerate Nikolaus' kernel projects (not only Pyra) at his shop

I am on board again :) Should be number order number 165 - just in case CraigX asks :p
Deciding to order the Pandora back then took me some days because I was a student. Nowadays it is much much easier :)

I'll wait. I don't have the time, and let the emu and game makers get the first 200.
Number 500 or 1000 would be great too to have. 

Do not forget, if they deliver 100 per month you are looking at one year of waiting. (Not that I have waited 3 years for my Pandora :) )

I thought it was common knowledge? 

Not many people read anything passed the link. ;)

As of now, about 48 hours later, and 171 pre-pre-orders have been grabbed up.  I am suitably surprised, and impressed.  I expected a bunch in the first 24 hours but that it would taper off and we might get this far after a week.  Glad I was wrong.

I hope devs, Grench and other prototype buyers will occasionally post what they are doing and how things are going, good and bad.

I'm thinking very dark orange for the case and buttons/stylus to match the keyboard Fn layer color.   B)  It's that or dark red with black buttons...

Check with ED to see if one of the prototype cases can be made in your dark orange with the Fn color other stuff.  Looking forward to pics when you get it.  Also, try the Red Hot Stylus in it.

Edit: Maybe ED can be convinced to include a US 4G module in your prototype.
That would be an experimental color choice if available.  Might be a cool prototype color, but not practical for production units.  ED said some of these might have odd colors and I'm on board with that concept.

Playing with the RHS optons is high on my list (of course).  I should be able to create a prototype to fit my prototype.

With any luck, I'll have a US 4G module or ED will be using the international one.  If software support allows, I plan to test that on AT&T.

I'm an experienced beta tester.  It won't go to waste.  If I feel I lack time or am out of things to test and can figure out a way to insure I get it back, I may loan it out for a few weeks to a US dev - maybe.

Fun times.

Yeah, that is what I meant about your orange, ask for it since you are getting a prototype, like ED suggested.  Have a little fun and try to get a color you want since I doubt orange will be the final case color.

I thought the international module was 3G, and for 4G you had to get a US one.  I haven't looked at what freqs are available with all the different modules and which cellular services use them.

Not many people read anything passed the link. ;)

As of now, about 48 hours later, and 171 pre-pre-orders have been grabbed up.  I am suitably surprised, and impressed.  I expected a bunch in the first 24 hours but that it would taper off and we might get this far after a week.  Glad I was wrong.
I'm not glad, that means there'll for sure be > 200 people in front of me :p  

Yeah, as if I've posted anything new. Also almost complete lack of mention of software in ED's progress reports should not go unnoticed.

It would be really interesting to hear from anyone of prototype preorderers why did they do such a thing. I do hope it's to support the project, not because they think they can actually use their units before anyone else.

How ready IS the software anyway? Is it not going to be usable at all for these people?

Yeah, as if I've posted anything new. Also almost complete lack of mention of software in ED's progress reports should not go unnoticed.

It would be really interesting to hear from anyone of prototype preorderers why did they do such a thing. I do hope it's to support the project, not because they think they can actually use their units before anyone else.

I was pretty open about my motivations and understanding of expected current state of function.  So, you have a 12.5% response rate to your question.

I wouldn't blame other prototype buyers if they stay anonymous though.  This community can sometimes be a bit rough.

How ready IS the software anyway? Is it not going to be usable at all for these people?

Well, it should be largely the same as the experience people are getting with the devboard.  See the 'what would you like to see' thread for examples.

I think it's safe to say nothing 3D will be running by the time the prototypes are delivered though.  Last time I heard, work on the driver wasn't going to start until the prototypes had been delivered.

See also Notaz's informative post currently on the previous page of this thread.

Well, it depends on what you want to do.
What will almost work out of the box is a fully normal Debian distribution with FireFox (or IceWeasel ;)), LibreOffice, etc.
Basically anything that can be installed of the box from the Debian repositories.

Keyboard input, nubs, the modem, the sensors, etc. are all working.

What's not working yet is proper sync with the display (so you have tearing with fast movements), no 3D, no optimized power saving functions, and we're not sure yet which graphics driver (DRM or FB) we'll use in the end - though it'll probably be DRM (but that currently runs slow).

What people with the Prototype will experience is the the continued effort on the OS.
The default theme (icon sizes, etc.) will be worked on. LunixBochs wants to work on 3D (and he gets a prototype unit as well).
More and more of the hardware functions (LEDs, sensors, etc.) will be included.

So yes, with the missing sync they're not meant run emulators and fast games at the beginning - but I hope no one bought a prototype just for that ;)

Well, it depends on what you want to do.
What will almost work out of the box is a fully normal Debian distribution with FireFox (or IceWeasel ;)), LibreOffice, etc.
Basically anything that can be installed of the box from the Debian repositories.

Keyboard input, nubs, the modem, the sensors, etc. are all working.

What's not working yet is proper sync with the display (so you have tearing with fast movements), no 3D, no optimized power saving functions, and we're not sure yet which graphics driver (DRM or FB) we'll use in the end - though it'll probably be DRM (but that currently runs slow).

What people with the Prototype will experience is the the continued effort on the OS.
The default theme (icon sizes, etc.) will be worked on. LunixBochs wants to work on 3D (and he gets a prototype unit as well).
More and more of the hardware functions (LEDs, sensors, etc.) will be included.

So yes, with the missing sync they're not meant run emulators and fast games at the beginning - but I hope no one bought a prototype just for that ;)

I'm good with all of that.  Frankly it sounds like it will have better Day 1 capabilities than I'd originally expected.  Quick question though...  Will we have any sound?  The last I remember on the DSP was that someone was going to evaluate the on-SoC DSP and amp vs a discrete DSP and amp vs on-SoC DSP with discrete amp, etc...  I have no idea where the pieces fell for that one.  (Yes - I know that sound support will happen eventually - just wondering if we'll have it on prototypes Day 1.)

Keep up the great work, happy belated birthday, and thank you for allowing us to follow along and be involved in the project!

Sound works... HDMI sound may be another thing.

Back