Release GemRB 0.71 released

foft

Certified Guru
Website
www.scrameta.net
Here is a pnd for gemrb 0.7.1:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=gemrb-31292

Features beyond simple compile:

i) Brightness boosted (I found brightness controls not working - its currently just locked...)

ii) Touchscreen position when scrolling off edge.

i.e. not alot...

The setup is the same as the previous releases - I took the existing pnd and updated the gemrb side of things.

Please give it a try.

So it is not known if "Baldur's Gate" works after the character creation ? In the 0.7.0 was a crash, that's the reason why I'm still using the previous version 0.6.5 ...

EDIT: Hey !! That's WORK !! I started a new game, created a character and YEAH, the game actually started !! I also tried starting the mission pack and didn't found problems, but I played only for 10 minutes.

Thanks a lot foft !! :) I will give more info if I find issues

EDIT: (Tried only with BG1 )

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just been trying it out a bit and there seems to be a problem with the conversation dialog. It gets narrower and narrower and does not allow scrolling to the bottom. Will try to get to the bottom of it...Let me know if you find more (simple - can't really get right into the gemrb core) bugs.

edit: Getting somewhere. It works on a Linux box. Found the call is core/Font.cpp Font::printFromLine. Now need to work out how that function works and why it behaves differently on the Pandora... Inputs are the same.

You are right, there's something strange with dialogs, I didn't read them when I tried :p

It seems that after the first line of text, every line it's too long to stay in the box, and seems that the lenght in excess corresponds to the lenght of the name of the speaker.

But if you scroll down just to hide the first line (with the name), every line will be placed at the start of the box and you can read them entirely.

Uploaded a newer build with these changes:

i) Workaround for the conversation box issue.

ii) Removed debug info - now 2MB rather than 10MB!

I entirely removed the brightness setting entirely since I'm pretty sure it wasn't doing anything. Found the best thing to do is the the LCD settings gamma tool in the new firmware. Would be great if gamma setting can be exposed to apps then I can add brightness/contrast based on that...

thanks a lot for all the updates love this game never would have thought when i bought the game (8 cd's) would i get to play it on the go

Finally got this to work. Boy, people were not kidding when they said that the files had to be in the correct folders. Took me a while, but now I am play BG1. Looks and sounds great....

hi, any news ?

I found the time to play BG1 a bit, after installing "Widescreen mod v3.05" and "TWM_GUI beta 0,994" that seems to work without issues.

The problems I found are:

1) related to the AI... I just can't activate it... I mean, the button is highlighted and the scripts are assigned to the respective characters, but them do nothing automatically...

2) some configuration options seems ignored, for example if I disable the "Pause when attacked" flag, it does change nothing... The game continue to Pause at the same way... this is for ALL the options I tried

EDIT: OH !! and just another thing, I've seen that the TTF plugin is loaded at the start, so I tried to use some custom TTF fonts, but seems not working...

(I edited the bg1w.cfg file and added the path to the ttf folder, and modified fonts.2da in the override dir)

PowerGod, I'm having the same issues with Baldur's Gate 1. I've started a post in General Talk about this because I thougth I was the only one with this problems and I've searched google and this board a lot but I didn't see your post... Is there a soution? (forgive my english, I'm not a native english speaker)

Edit: There is a solution for the auto pause issue: you have to add a line in the file "baldur.ini" that is inside the game folder. "Auto Pause State=0" I'm not sure if you have to add it in the [Game Options] section or in the [Program Options] section, but it works. It could be a temporary solution until all the issues are properly fixed.

I'm sorry, but I have no news... I have still to play that game, but I stopped to search for solutions because of other projects... anyway thanks for your information, it can be indeed useful.

I don't know if foft is still working on this project, when I will find the time I'll try again to find some way to resolve some issues

Thank you for the reply and your interest.

My Pandoras are away for repair at the moment, I should be able to take a look when I get them back. It would help if you can check if the bugs you are seeing also exist on the x86 linux version of 0.71 or are just local to this build.

Just to check I understand - the problem is that the gui controls are not adjusting the settings here? Specifically auto-pause setting and the AI activate button.

I never really got to the bottom of the menu problem - bit of a heisenbug that vanished when I added logging, so I left the logging in! Wonder if my toolchain is iffy.

Where can I download the x86 linux version of 0.71? I've only used the ones that are on Repo Pandora.

On a 1GHz Pandora with gemrb 0.71 and kernel 3.2, zaxxon 1.51:

Baldur's Gate 1.

Not working:

-Graphics: brightness and contrast. But I think you know that already. The other options I can't tell.

-Sound: all sounds preset at max. and cannot change the volume.

-Character sounds: you cannot disable any of them.

-Gameplay: mouse and keyboard scroll speed works. Gore and weather I don't think so, but not sure. Auto-pause, the options that are enable can't be disabled and the ones that are disable can't be enabled. What is more, there is no coincidence between the options enabled in the menu and the ones that apply in the game... They are all mixed. This is, by far, the worst issue because it makes the game unplayable.

About the gameplay, I think the character is a bit slow responding to the comand attack but maybe it's me. I'm not accustomed to this genre.

I cannot be so specific about Icewind Dale 1 and Planescape Torment because I haven't played them as much as Baldur's Gate, but there are issues very similar to the ones I've mentioned.

I've tried using gemrb 0.65 and 0.70 but the first does not work on my Pandora and the last runs worse than 0.71.

Anyway, thank you for your work and to all the people who work on the Pandora so that people like me can enjoy it without having too much trouble :)

Thanks for the info here - very helpful.

The x86 linux binaries are available from http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=download.

I see 0.72 has just been released. Looks like they've done work on saving the menu settings. Which is why I wonder if these worked in the x86 0.71 build.

Reason I'm asking if the issues are specific to the Pandora is because I don't really have time to get involved in the gemrb development. So am only fixing issues with the Pandora build I did.

But, I can't use the x86 linux binaries with the Pandora, can I? Sorry I don't have the kwoledge people here have.

I've come to a solution with the auto-pause issue.

This is what my baldur.ini file looks (Baldur's Gate 1 downloaded from GOG):

[Alias]

HD0:=G:\PANDORA gemBR GAMES\Baldurs Gate\

CD1:=G:\PANDORA gemBR GAMES\Baldurs Gate\data\

CD2:=G:\PANDORA gemBR GAMES\Baldurs Gate\data\

CD3:=G:\PANDORA gemBR GAMES\Baldurs Gate\data\

CD4:=G:\PANDORA gemBR GAMES\Baldurs Gate\data\

CD5:=G:\PANDORA gemBR GAMES\Baldurs Gate\data\

CD6:=G:\PANDORA gemBR GAMES\Baldurs Gate\data\

[Program Options]

SoftSrcKeyBltFast=0

SoftBltFast=0

SoftSrcKeyBlt=0

SoftBlt=0

SoftMirrorBlt=0

Translucent Shadows=1

Maximum Frame Rate=30

Path Search Nodes=4000

Tooltips=100

Sprite Mirror=0

Gamma Correction=0

Brightness Correction=0

Volume Movie=80

Volume Music=10

Volume Voices=80

Volume Ambients=80

Volume SFX=80

Strref On=0

[GameSpy]

Region=0

[Program Options]

Volume Music=10

[Game Options]

Auto Pause State=1 (written by me)

Memory Access=100

Footsteps=1

Weather=1

[Config]

CacheSize=240

[Movies]

BG4LOGO=1

TSRLOGO=1

BILOGO=1

INFELOGO=1

INTRO=1

In my file the line "Auto Pause State=1" was missing. I've added this line and now you can change the options in the auto-pause menu. The thing is that if you want the auto pause for an option you have to clik on that option so that the golden square disappears. I think this is the contrary to what you should do but it works!

I've only tried this on Baldur's Gate 1. It does not work with other options like music volume, etc.

I'm going to play the game to inform and help as much as I can.

But, I can't use the x86 linux binaries with the Pandora, can I? Sorry I don't have the kwoledge people here have.

Well it could work with qemu, but I wouldn't recommend it! What I mean is the idea is to compare the Pandora one with the PC one to see what is 'in the original program' and what is introduced 'in the pandora version'
:)

Back