Release GemRB 0.71 released

Right now my only linux pc is the Pandora itself, but I'm waiting to receive an old P3 that I can use to do all the dirty works and tests needed for the Pandora apps ^_^

But, I can't use the x86 linux binaries with the Pandora, can I? Sorry I don't have the kwoledge people here have.

Well it could work with qemu, but I wouldn't recommend it! What I mean is the idea is to compare the Pandora one with the PC one to see what is 'in the original program' and what is introduced 'in the pandora version' :)
As PowerGod says, my only linux pc is the Pandora itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a Pandora back from ED today, but it's still broken. I'll have to send it back again. 4th time lucky!! Then I can take a look at the new Gemrb and these bugs.

Mark

Thank you, Mark. I'm Playing Baldur's Gate and, despite these issues, I'm hooked to the game! Once solved the "auto pause always enabled" thing, the game is perfectly enjoyable.

Another minor thing I would like to have solved is the fact that when you save the game the changes in the options menu are not saved as well.

I wonder if that's why the music volume is always at maximum?

Well I put a new build up on the repo.

Changes:

i) Core updated to latest gemrb version - 0.7.2 released a week or so ago.

ii) Switched round the Auto pause check boxes so that off is off and on is on which is less confusing to use.

Actually when testing I noticed that the 'Character sounds' checkbox is also back to front, so I think this may be for all checkboxes the graphic is wrong. I saw the same in a build I did for Linux x86 though. I'll ask on the gemrb forums later in the week...

One change in 0.7.2 is that is supports saving config I think. However I need to mess around to make that work with the pnd setup to allow that - will have to investigate when I have more time.

Uploaded another one:

i) Wired up brightness and contrast.

ii) Flipped all checkboxes instead of just autopause.

(note that the default brightness/contrast is not right in this one - I'll fix that tonight probably when I sort out the config saving setup)

:eek: I have no time for some days to try those updates, anyway I will feedback ASAP

Foft, there are some problems with gemrb 072. I've been playing Baldur's Gate 1 for a bit and the biggest problem is that when a character casts a spell the game pauses, at least during combat (it is not an auto pause issue). And the artificial intelligence button does not work well.

I don't know if these issues are from the original gemrb 072 or they are created in the pnd conversion.

Uploaded a new version. I found that I'd messed up the packaging and some scripts from 0.7.1 were still present and used! This mix is likely what causes some of the problems.

Changes:

i) Removed stale scripts!

ii) Notably this fixes config saving which GemRB devs had added in 0.7.2 and hopefully more....

iii) An auto pause fix from the GemRB devs.

i hope these two will fix the spell pause but haven't had time to play it yet! Let me know how you get on.

edit: Hmmm, can't select characters properly on the Pandora build. This works natively... Will do another build this W/E. Think I need to update my toolchain, getting some weird stuff...

I have not tried this new version yet, but I thank you very much for your work. I've gave up Baldur's Gate because the 071 version was freezing a lot but now that you are working on it again I'll try it asap :)

I was very happy playing ps1 and scummvm games, when I discovered gemrb and Baldur's Gate. And now it's becoming hard to go back to ps1 and graphic adventure games...

OK, put one more version up. If you try the new 0.7.2. make sure its build 4 (now on the repo). This one has the compiler optimizations turned off. This may make it slower, but it fixes several issues. As mentioned above, I think my compiler does not seem reliably optimise C++. This is the 2011 Sourcery version...

edit: This at least fixes the character selection... + casting spells does not pause... + didn't need the horrible workaround for the display problem.

Another new version on the repo (0.7.2 build 5):

i) Faster

ii) Fixes brightness/contrast

Please let me know how you get on.

---

More detail for those interested:

A lot of the bugs in early builds appear to be compiler optimization bugs. I updated my compiler from the 2011.09 Sourcery Lite version (heavily patched 4.6.1) to a newer gcc using crosstool-ng (vanilla 4.7.2). With this new compiler it seems to behave properly when built with -O3.

The contrast fix is due to the range of the control changing from 0-5 to 0-10. There were some checks in the code that blew up when over 5, so the controls just stopped working when the contrast was set high.

(Fixed in version 6) - Known issues: The check boxes were back to front for BG1 - e.g. enable auto pause disabled it. I inverted this and now BG1 is great, however BG2 is now back to front! Will investigate a proper fix.

I asked before this question, but received no answer - did anyone try Planescape Torment with this? How does it work on Pandora? Well or not ?
For what I've played (more than play I've tested the options and gameplay) it runs well. There are some options that cannot be changed like sound but the game is perfectly playable. It runs smooth and, in general, I think it runs better than Baldur's Gate. But I've only play in the first scenario of the game, I cannot assure that there won't be any issues later on.
There is a bug that makes the character run bacwards but it is also in the windows version. The fix that mention on internet does not work for gemrb.

Back