GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

Sorry controls are kind of set where they are molds are not cheap to make or modify we will keep your idea in mind on the next console. As for where will I take the partial pay orders be taken they will start on the blog and move to new site once it goes live the new site will host information, videos, tutorials, and app store.

As for extended memory in the 100 we will partial pre-sale OD shouldn't have trouble allocating the excess ram. Keep your eyes open on the blog for it to go live probably tomorrow night.

I will talk with hardware devs about changing the lcd screen to a 640x480 or 800x600.

640x480 might be OK. But 800x600 or 800x480 is a definite NO.

But anyway, if having a bigger screen resolution decreases performance, i would stay with a 320x240 screen. Remember that the "bad" thing about Dingoo and Caanoo is that they haven't got enough power for emulating some consoles fullspeed, and if you want full screen gaming, there is always a big FPS drop because of scaling.

What i expect from GCW is a fullspeed SNES emulation. Don't ruin it by putting a large screen, and then not having enough CPU power to emulate + scale.

Also, a 640x480 screen would eat the battery 4 times as much as a 320x240 one. Also, higher res screen = higher price.

What makes you think quadrupling the pixels makes the screen consume 4 times as much power? The vast majority of the power used by a LCD-module is used in the backlight. Also: Smaller pixels -> less lc to power. Any increase would be in the driver logic, afaik

I'd like the control's and buttons moved around a bit so that it can be spun around to play vertical shooters, just like you can with the Caanoo.

Is this possible?

What do you mean by "moved around"?

I mean as per the Caanoo, a joystick and button arrangement that will allow you to play it vertically if you want. There's a bucket load of games that were made with a vertical screen, that was the best thing about the Caanoo, it was great for these games as well as horizontal(landscape) games. Without this ability , vertical games get truncated or shrunk to fit the horizontal screen , it's a big minus. Check the Caanoo in action below playing vertical games (Disregard the guy's no clue about the diff between vertical and horizontal).

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FuRYvfnNdJ8?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
I will talk with hardware devs about changing the lcd screen to a 640x480 or 800x600.

640x480 might be OK. But 800x600 or 800x480 is a definite NO.

But anyway, if having a bigger screen resolution decreases performance, i would stay with a 320x240 screen. Remember that the "bad" thing about Dingoo and Caanoo is that they haven't got enough power for emulating some consoles fullspeed, and if you want full screen gaming, there is always a big FPS drop because of scaling.

What i expect from GCW is a fullspeed SNES emulation. Don't ruin it by putting a large screen, and then not having enough CPU power to emulate + scale.

Also, a 640x480 screen would eat the battery 4 times as much as a 320x240 one. Also, higher res screen = higher price.
Nope. http://boards.openpa...120#entry148509

320x240 would make this little more than another Dingoo with a faster CPU. But with a 640x480 screen it would stand out from other handhelds. That's what would sway me, anyway.

If you flipped the GCW Zero in it's current config, you would have the dpad on the left and the joystick on the right. In this config, you could control vertical orientated games with the dpad, but then the joystick would be where the buttons need to be.

One of the strongest points of the Caanoo was that it really was designed with retro gamers in mind and took in there requirements.

But wouldn't it be too late to change the case?

test.jpg

Who knows?, I was just putting it out there. Hopefully it's not to late

I have to agree with Gruso though, and I'm not trying to be harsh here, but the GCW as it is compared to some current handhelds doesn't sway me to buy it. For example , compared to the Caanoo, the only pro would be the faster processor - Cons, almost everything else. The Caanoo has a great community, Superb Analogue joystick, can play vertical games, great menu system, etc etc etc. and , oh yeah, its the same price.

It's not compelling/different enough as Gruso has pointed out above. I'd rather see some extra time spent on the GCW Zero and have it come out with a strong differentiating set of features. But hey that's just me

That it was designed with the needs and requirements of retro gamers, for example the design to allow it to be flipped to play vertical games was a strong request by retro gamers for years.

Ahh you do have a sense of humour SONY, no doubt :)

Back