Antiria - The first Metroidvania!

That's "The Sacred Armour of Antiriad" to give it the full title. And nah, it was pretty shit tbh. I recall buying it and then finding that it's not that fun to play at all when I got it home.

D.

It was crap, wasn't it. Got rave reviews - I'm thinking only for the graphics, I really don't think anything else mattered to reviewers back in the day, I had it on Amstrad CPC BTW.

And it is NOTHING like the Metroid games.

It's not Castlevania either.

There was a rash of "huge sprite" games - such as Trantor - back at that time, and they were all pretty bad.

D.

It's not Castlevania either.

There was a rash of "huge sprite" games - such as Trantor - back at that time, and they were all pretty bad.

D.
Bit like the bandersnatch, psygnosis games I guess. focus on big sprites and nice graphics.

IIRC, it was indeed used on some of the 8bits, C64 springs to mind for some reason. However, on the Spectrum it would have required extra hardware so was never released.

D.

*sighs* Am I the only one with fond memories of this horrible to control and even worse to navigate game? I loved it on my CoCo 3, spent countless hours hoping I'd get the power core for the suit and be able to run around and shoot stuff all awesome-like, only to find I had to get antigravity boots too so I could hover my ass around cause they obviously couldn't animate a suit of armor.

Yeah, I finished it, more than once... and it was worse than playing whatever the hardest megaman ever was (2? I'm gonna say 2, just cause that'll probably stir the pot ;) )

*sighs* Am I the only one with fond memories of this horrible to control and even worse to navigate game? I loved it on my CoCo 3, spent countless hours hoping I'd get the power core for the suit and be able to run around and shoot stuff all awesome-like, only to find I had to get antigravity boots too so I could hover my ass around cause they obviously couldn't animate a suit of armor.

Yeah, I finished it, more than once... and it was worse than playing whatever the hardest megaman ever was (2? I'm gonna say 2, just cause that'll probably stir the pot ;) )
As someone with the CoCo 1 & 2, I envied people with the CoCo 3 as it had all the cool games... At least I had Dungeons of Daggerath and Tetris(before it was even on the NES).

MegaMan 2 can't be the hardest as I could beat it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! but no downloads...at least on the pc it should run polygons faster while sporting crap music :D

Thanks for the info Wrath!

As someone with the CoCo 1 & 2, I envied people with the CoCo 3 as it had all the cool games... 
Didn´t we all?

Oh, I remember seen screen shots of this on coco 3 too, just a note, dosen´t the player´s animation looks like the player´s animation on shadow of the beast 2?

Checking the monsters and scenery, I kind of feel like the guys at psygnoses sure had this one as inspiration to the shadow series.

*sighs* Am I the only one with fond memories of this horrible to control and even worse to navigate game?
Nope. I bought it, and desperately wanted it to be great (I'd spent that week's pocket money on it) so I played it to death, hoping against all hope that there was a game in there. There wasn't, but by that time I'd bought Booty and was having an absolute blast on that instead :)

D.

Back