GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

You should also add a menu button. It comes very handy.

Look at all the emulators for Dingoo. There is no standard way to access the emulator menu. Select+Start, Power button, L+R, even some weird combinations of L/R+some buttons. It is difficult to remember which emulator uses which key combinations to access the menu.

Select+start is not a good way IMO. There are some cheats in console games, which require to press select+start, and a menu popping up makes impossible to do them.

That's the reason why i mapped the menu to the "power" button in Dingoo Ohboy.

@ Saber

I guess the other folks have already answered for me.
Yeah, they beat you to it. If battery life isn't affected much, I wouldn't mind the screen upgrade. On my Caanoo, I haven't noticed the text problem with the 320x240 resolution myself, but I guess it can be a frustration. What i'd like to see with this GCW Zero is the ability to read ebooks in portrait mode. :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO I´m quite happy with 320x240 as that is the resolution I kind have a love for.

For some reasons (owning an amiga), I never really got much into the 640x480 old pc games with a very few exceptions, like syndicate.

I don´t quite like the consoles game from this point on, I take them too easy or replay-to-finish kind of stuff.

Better resolution should do better for me on the likes of porting gfx2 or milkytracker or homebrew games, I would not bother emus.

That is, if battery life is good and price point won´t rocket.

The rest of the specs seems perfect.

OLED would be pretty sweet, mate.

...and pretty expensive. remember that GCW should have a price of about $100 or lower. (well... that if he want to compete with Dingoo/Caanoo)

Otherwise, forget my post.

Ops, I forgot to answer the original question, the one about a possible pre-order.

I currently can´t afford, but if the online store is solid and, let´s say, GLBasic can compile to it, then I would try and get a dev version of the console.

@GCW can you add google checkout payment method I don't have paypal or any other payment methods.

Done and ordered proud to be one of the first and have 512mb ram bring it on baby

Android would eat all the memory resources of the console. It is not a very efficient OS. Besides, all apps must be written in Java, and Android has to run them under a virtual machine (which is like an emulator to run java apps).

So... do i want a console which emulates something, to run a software which emulates a console, to run a software? No.

Anyway, if you want Android, there are already some Android consoles.

I would have also suggested using an OLED screen, the main reason why the Wiz was popular, but I guess it is too late too change now. Please make the d-pad atleast upto Pandora quality. I don't have one but heard it is very good. Build quality should be better than Dingoo and Wiz, atleast upto Caanoo standard. Does the GCW have an FPU? I don't see that in the current spec.

@ Saber

I guess the other folks have already answered for me.
Yeah, they beat you to it. If battery life isn't affected much, I wouldn't mind the screen upgrade. On my Caanoo, I haven't noticed the text problem with the 320x240 resolution myself, but I guess it can be a frustration. What i'd like to see with this GCW Zero is the ability to read ebooks in portrait mode. :wub:

All good, mate.

I always say a removable battery would be a great idea and adds to the shelf life of the product you can easily replace the battery when needed I don't know if this could be done to the zero but would be a great idea.

Back