Gather Innovative Ideas Here!

___

Advanced Member
Okay, just thought we might start dreaming a little. Maybe a few interesting innovations that you could imagine on the pandora.

Here is my list:

Physics games...
Has been talked about before in the old "our new machine" thread but I am too lazy to find a link right now. There is a bunch of really interesting games out there that could be perfect on the pandora.

- the sandbox simulator (originally world of sand)... maybe a more advanced version with fluids aswell. We have had this on the gp2x but just a rather slow port. With more processing power and touchscreen capabilities this could be even more fun!
linkylink: http://siebn.de/index.php?page=burningsand/game

- crayon physics... now just look for this on youtube and you will be amazed. It's magical! You draw different shapes with the stylus and they become moving objects bound to physics. Draw a car and it will start driving. Draw a boulder and a slanted platform and it will roll down. etc etc etc...
link: http://www.kloonigames.com/blog/games/crayon/

Touchscreen fun...
Lots of stuff to do with this. Let's steal from the NDS ^^.

- graffiti style chat- and whiteboard... yes, the DS has it. Simple but could be fun with a few more options. Drawing and typing onto the white board, chatting with friends over the internet or maybe on the LAN. who knows, maybe some smart reverse engineer might be able to crack that NDS protocol and make it compatible!

- remember mario paint? how about pandora paint (okay, cheesy name). a little drawing here a little drawing there, combine the pictures and put them into a chain of frames and you can make little goofy animations on the go. Or go advanced and draw yourself some pixel art and tiles for your newest game production.

- electro plankton anyone? How about a little play with soundwaves? Maybe some sort of a graphical synthesizer with the ability to use a sequencer, a few effects and influence your creation in realtime. An onscreen keyboard, some abstract noise makers for the fun of it. Now that would be cool! Also, we have a microphone now!

- minigames using the touchscreen ala wario-ware touched... yes still stealing from nintendo here. but you gotta admint that they are the kings of game innovation. We had minigame compilations for the gp32 and the gp2x. Now I am sure the community can come up with something using the touchscreen asweel. Again I would like to note that we even have a microphone now!!!

Microphone stunts and audio fun...
Voice recording, VoIP, so much stuff you could do with this.

- VoIP... how about talking to your buddies over the internet? Maybe with a bluetooth headset... there is a few free skype like clients out there.

- Record your voice and sounds surrounding you, turning them into landscapes: sort of like vib-ribbon except maybe a little more detailed. Might be a weird idea but I am still putting it out there.

- Voice control? Not sure how advanced this technology is yet and what programs there are opensource but this would be the shiznit. Just say "run squidgesnes" and off you go. Obviously this could be extended to all sorts of functionality. Voice recognition to gain access to your pandora "my voice is my password" ;-)

- Record voice messages on the go. Lots of mp3players have this feature. Should be easy to implement. You could record notes or maybe even dictate a text (see voice recognition above).

- LGPT and pikix... maybe some VJ software, sequencer or tracker ports could turn the pandora into a portable studio! Live performances and studio work in this little machine. Adding hardware using the usb, sdio and serial interface might extend the quality of the audio output and add functionality.

Wifi... yay!
Well the potential of this is obvious.

- LAN networking... access your data at home. Don't have enough space on that sd card to throw all these iso images onto for the future psx4pandora emulator? just mount a samba share. Synchronize your calendar and phone book etc.

- Internet on the go... Wifi access at uni or at work? maybe sitting in a cafe with access and want to check your email? Just do it... this one is a no brainer. Webbrowsing etc...

- War driving kit in the palm of your hand... check for some open wifi networks. Go wild! Airsnort for arm? who knows what's possible...

- Remote control your music library... http://www.ampache.org Basically you set up a serverside application on the computer with your music on, then use the php interface to sort playlists and queue them for your computer to play. So maybe build yourself a silent little living room computer with your collection on it. Then get your pandora out and start playing your music. No need to turn on your TV or monitor, you got all the information and album art shown on the pandora.

- Audio and video streaming on the go... stream some simpsons episodes from your favourite internet tv channel. Get yourself the newest podcast while you have access somewhere, listen to it later. Check what's new on youtube. The possibilities are endless.

- Remote Desktop applications and VNC... control your pc over the internet!

- Kaillera port... multiplayer support for emulators.
link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaillera

Well the other obvious stuff is not mentioned. Obviously there will be a lot of emulators coming out and I am sure these don't need mentioning. I wanna see some extraordinaire ideas. Outrageous lunacy... what do you think is possible on this little hellish machine?

Elektro Plankton yes.

Also, people were talking about remote desktop and stuff before, and it would be REALLY cool if someone could set it up so you can remotely play games. Imagine playing like Bioshock or something on this thing. I don't know how feasible an idea this is, but if someone wants to try it, it would be awesome.

Nah I don't like the idea of that too much. Why would you want to play bioshock on a tiny screen like that? Also, if you are at home, why not sit in front of your tv nice and cozy instead of using the pandora. I also don't think that this is possible over the internet. Just forget about that idea... not feasible.

xnopasaranx said:
Nah I don't like the idea of that too much. Why would you want to play bioshock on a tiny screen like that? Also, if you are at home, why not sit in front of your tv nice and cozy instead of using the pandora. I also don't think that this is possible over the internet. Just forget about that idea... not feasible.
Well it doesn't have to be Bioshock, obviously. But can't remote desktop work through the internet, assuming the connection is fast enough? Because if that's the case, getting full PC games to work would be awesome. It would have to be one heck of a connection, though, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah that's just the point. I don't think you could get the needed bandwith anywhere on the go. And certainly not with wifi. The servers are just too slow to provide the quality of the picture and to synchronize with the controls and sound. I think that would just be too much of a hassle for anyone to want. Neat idea but I don't see it working.

Hi there =)

I don't think I would buy a pandora anytime soon, but I thought the following could be of interest:

The two things that makes me never regret buying a GP2X:

-LGPT (GP2X Music Tracker)
-Pikix (GP2X VJ (Graphics Mixer) Software

They allow me to do live shows and events with an handheld console I can practice with anywhere I go.

So basically anything related to art production would be awesome

Could be through the touchscreen (Drawing ANSi Style oldschool graphics?), or a betterish sound chip, an awesome synth chip like the 2A03 (NES) or the SID (C64) (or the GB one, forgot the name), a DSP, a preamp for an external microphone (Sampling), etc

I'm not saying this is needed or that's it's a good idea, just telling what an artistically inclined individual might find appealing in the device =P

yeah that sounds cool. I love the idea of being able to create stuff on the go and not only play games. I think this could very well turn into a professional portable studio with some hardware addons. And for that we have usb, sdio and serial!

definately! Should be ported aswell... man that would be cool! Ah, listen guys, I will extend the list with your ideas... at least the ones that I think are feasible. It's hard to decide what should be on the list of possible stuff and what not. If you would like your idea included, feel free to discuss and elaborate!

Someone clone Katamari. Do it. :excl: :ninja:

I'm not even joking, I'd pay someone to make it. Or even a commercial version... :blink:

A Katamari clone would rock me so hard on this thing... I'd definitely get back into learning 3D modeling in order to help that come to fruition. If you want to do it, contact me.

I've been thinking of waiting with Li'l Trooper until I could develop it for this thing, and that's probably happening. If I do that, the graphics will probably gain a significant upgrade. I'm actually considering rotoscoping graphics like in the old Prince of Persia days.

Also, I really want stuff like Simple RTS on this machine. Would be such awesomeness. Quick, dirty skirmishes of fast-paced real-time strategy while on the bus? Yes, please!!

Yuglooc: porting roguelikes to a linux device with a keyboard is just a matter of compiling it =P

The "difficulty" with the GP2X is that you have to create menus and whatnot... since you don't have a full fledged keyboard, or implement a virtual one, all of which requires extra code.

Well, a usable user interface is always important. You still have to create menus that work and a system that is easily manageable. Nethack is a perfect example of how a keyboard can complicate things to an unnecessary degree. I've never seen a better Nethack than the one on the GP2X by Dzz, and that came as a RESULT of the fact that there was no keyboard, so he had to actively invest himself in creating a manageable system to play it without the "shortcuts".

xcen said:
Yuglooc: porting roguelikes to a linux device with a keyboard is just a matter of compiling it =P

The "difficulty" with the GP2X is that you have to create menus and whatnot... since you don't have a full fledged keyboard, or implement a virtual one, all of which requires extra code.
Yeah I know :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, I never saw the lack of a keyboard as a problem for what the GP2X was as it encouraged more advanced thinking in the UI. The keyboard does open up a host of possibilities in terms of the device's usage areas. Whereas the GP2X will never be a useful internet device, the Pandora has that bonus.

I'm developing a game since a year ago. At the begining of the development stage it was a simple PSX's silent hill-like game for the gp2x. But the style of the game has changed to an original, never used before, graphics style. But let's hope things go well and I finish the game, because I'm still working in the engine, and a game of this kind needs a looooot of time and work.

Why am I commenting this? Because, althought it was originally focused for the GP2X, the artistic change makes the GP2X not powerfull enought, and the pandora the ideal device, because that change does an extensive use of pixel/vertex shaders ;)

Anyway, I will not buy the pandora, it's too expensive for me, but the good thing is the device is running linux/OpenGL and my development platform is linux/OpenGL, so a port could be a simple recompile to the ARM platform :)

PLEASE FORGET ABOUT PLAYING 3D-GAMES USING VNC, RDESKTOP OR SIMILAR STUFF.

thank you. No Bioshock, not even Counterstrike. 3D games run on the machine you are playing on or they don't run. (yes, you could use the pandora as a gamepad, but this doesn't make the game run on it.

- mythTV:
I'd like to see a mythTV Frontend on the Pandora and will likely try to port/recompile it. It has been done before (mythTV on an arm) so I guess it will work out.
What I would like aswell is a mythTV remotecontrol for my girlfriend as she already has a mythTV Box hooked up on a dvi display but remotecontrolling it is kinda a pita. Having an overview of the programm and change channels by clicking on it one the Pandora sound very practical to me.

- SIP:
Perhaps Ekiga which can use SIP. I won't use skype if you pay me for it, but SIP is the way to go for me. Buying a BT-USB-dongle like this:
DAPTER.jpg

and using a headset sounds rather convenient to me.

Back