Gather Innovative Ideas Here!

Balzac2m said:
PLEASE FORGET ABOUT PLAYING 3D-GAMES USING VNC, RDESKTOP OR SIMILAR STUFF.

thank you. No Bioshock, not even Counterstrike. 3D games run on the machine you are playing on or they don't run. (yes, you could use the pandora as a gamepad, but this doesn't make the game run on it.
What if you used the Pandora as a controller, but did it remotely by setting up a webcam pointed at the monitor?

And yes, I know I'm being utterly ridiculous at this point. lol :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
But seriosly, is it possible to setup the panda as a controller, then having screen capture with extreme compression (example, low res. divx)?

Would it lag?

Not that I would play it..

cowai said:
But seriosly, is it possible to setup the panda as a controller, then having screen capture with extreme compression (example, low res. divx)?

Would it lag?

Not that I would play it..
It would be an interesting experiment... You'd need ridiculously fast internet, though.

For games that need instant response it would have too much lag, but what about, say, galciv 2?

No way that is going to work. Also as I said before, the graphics will be untolerable even if the rest works. You wouldn't be able to read ingame text at all... just no way that's gonna happen. Through screen capturing, playing a game at 1024x768 and scaling that down to the pandoras maximum resolution would crappyfy the picture, capturing it with a webcam even worse including screen flickering as it wouldn't be in sync and bad artifacts from the picture correction. Really, no way this would work sufficient to play a decent game.

craigix said:
Try it with your pc webcam and xbox. It would probably look bad, but it would work, do wireless webcams exist?
In a sense, a cell phone with WiFi and a camera can do it, for example the Nokia N95 I'm going to have for xmas can do that. Anyways, don't webcams have some delay due to compression and such? By the way playing smoothly a game over VNC is impossible, even locally. Merely controlling the game is another story tho.

As for innovative ideas, I had a good game idea that would have made use of the touchscreen, but since the touchscreen is pretty much unusable with the current design..

well tell us about your idea anyway! Might still be interesting and the design can still change slightly.

Anything in the Debian X86 repositories has also been compiled for ARM. And MIPS. And Z90, in case you want to play Nethack on your hundred-thousand-dollar IBM mainframe.

imec said:
aMule would be awesome ;). I wonder if it has been compiled for ARM Debian yet?
I agree, being able to download a new song and listen to it all on a handheld device would be awsome.

As for the whole warioware-esque touchscreen game idea. You might want to call up quist to see if he's up for a minigame project redux. :D

xnopasaranx said:
well tell us about your idea anyway! Might still be interesting and the design can still change slightly.
Well I've had a few. First was a level editor for a 2D skateboarding game, based on splines. Well admittedly you could do it all with only the D-pad, but it's much cooler to place to points on screen. Next thing was, in the same game, to draw the ground right before the wheels of the skateboard roll on it, still using the touchscreen, if that makes any sense.

Then of course a properly designed console with a touchscreen could have been used for drawing apps, my main idea was to create an on-screen editor with "brushes" and such just as in Photoshop for my ARSE program (see my signature), thus allowing you to design sounds on the console with a dedicated editor. But actual traditional paint programs would be more attractive to a hell of a lot more people anyways.

And then, well I thought that with a proper touchscreen you could just use it as a mouse for Xfce/Fluxbox/KDE or even if you're crazy GNOME. Craig wants to make it some sort of mini laptop PC, but he forgot something, laptops have touchpads, it would be hell to use a laptop with only a touchscreen to control the mouse cursor.

miniK0bo said:
What if the Pandora gets an accelerometer? Would it make the Pandora even more cooler?
Yeah, add a GPS to that and a 5 MP camera and it would be almost as cool as my Nokia N95 ;)

A_SN said:
Craig wants to make it some sort of mini laptop PC, but he forgot something, laptops have touchpads, it would be hell to use a laptop with only a touchscreen to control the mouse cursor.

Some laptops dont have touchpads but pointing sticks instead (and many have both). I actually prefer pointing stick over touchpad. And the analog controls could be a good replacement for that.

Hmmmmm..... Now, here is an interesting idea: use a three-axis accelerometer to make the Pandora itself a controller. ...and can't you just picture some hacker writing a custom driver to let him use the Pandora as both controller and ancillary HUD for Crysis 2, mounted on something like the Wii Zapper?

The chip certainly is cheap enough at $2.60 in larger quantities. Heck, SparkFun even sells a breakout board for less than forty bucks.

That 3-axis accelerometer sounds like a lot of fun. Did MWeston say anything about the possibility of integrating this into the pandora? Maybe it could be sold as an addon. He did mention that there is still some space on the pcb for hackers later on... so maybe that could be added as a mod. Would be cool though if it was already in the pandora. I wonder if that would raise the price evenmore, though the pricing for the chip itself is pretty cheap. Let's ask! ^^

Back