GP2X Just Some Touchscreen Ideas

Dan2552

Still Fresh
Here's some nice uses of the touchscreen:

- on screen keyboard (as if i need to say this one)
- turning the console 90 degrees on its side and using the touchscreen as input can be more suitable for certain things (like brain age did for DS)
- gesture inputs
- allowing users to draw shapes to control games [video] (this one's very interesting)
- note taking ingame, you wouldn't believe how much it can enhance gameplay - especially puzzles (ie. Zelda Phantom Hourglass)

I started a project a while back for a brain training style game on the GP2X but got sidetracked by Round Em Up and continued that instead. This was long before the F-200 was announced but touch screen is perfect for the game as proven with the DS brain training games and its many clones. I even thought up the best name ever for it, Noggin Joggin :) It was in the very very early stages, basically a quick demo so unfortunately it wont see the light on the GP2X but it might be worked on in the future for another console.

I think Muffinmans Sudoku game for the GP32 would make a good touch screen game. However, I imagine that it is very difficult to actually interpret the touch screen input into numbers or letters.
Those brain games on the NDS do a very good job but even they sometimes mis-interpret what you are writing.

Maybe there's a handwriting libary somebody could port? There must be an open source one somewhere... Right?

I do like the idea of having the screen usable from different angles and especially the involvement of drawing stuff using the touch screen in games!

Back