Gather Innovative Ideas Here!

In my opinion the Pandora should ship with an open-source killer app pre-installed. Maybe Firefox 3.0?

I don't know if Firefox is in the Debian ARM, even, but I bet it would be just as much a RAM hog on the Pandora as it is on any other platform, according to those I know who use it regularly.

Firefox 3 fixes all memory leaks that were present in Firefox 2. On average it consumes 30MB of memory. Plus it should be released by the time the Pandora is out.

Firefox? I prefer a port of Webkit. Althought webkit it's not a browser but instead a html engine...Perhaps I'll do something with it, like a port, if I get enought money to buy the pandora *cries*

Megatog615 said:
Firefox 3 fixes all memory leaks that were present in Firefox 2. On average it consumes 30MB of memory. Plus it should be released by the time the Pandora is out.
Oh man, they are finally going to fix the memory leaks? That's going to be crazy. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
imec said:
Megatog615 said:
Oh man, they are finally going to fix the memory leaks? That's going to be crazy. :eek:

Imec's remark is an exaggeration-- only a handful of them are fixed. It does rein in memory consumption somewhat, but under light to moderate use my copy of the Firefox 3 beta still consumes around 110-130 MB of RAM. That's not noticeably better than Firefox 2. Which is fine on my desktop with 2048MB of RAM, but not for a handheld with 128MB of RAM and an OS already running.

Imec's remark is an exaggeration-- only a handful of them are fixed. It does rein in memory consumption somewhat, but under light to moderate use my copy of the Firefox 3 beta still consumes around 110-130 MB of RAM. That's not noticeably better than Firefox 2. Which is fine on my desktop with 2048MB of RAM, but not for a handheld with 128MB of RAM and an OS already running.

You mean MegaTog, yo. I'm running Firefox 3 Beta 2 right now, and it takes up almost as much memory as Firefox 2.

Megatog615 said:
In my opinion the Pandora should ship with an open-source killer app pre-installed. Maybe Firefox 3.0?
Wouldnt Kazehakase be better for many reasons? Light-weight, fast, minimalist.

Speaking of which i hope you can choose different desktop enviroments, Openbox would be the best for the panda me'thinks, it uses virtually no ram and would be great with a touch screen :D

There was a game I had on my Palm (I have a smartphone now) that had you tapping on the screen to kill wee nasties by tapping on them, but also had good guys wondering around too. If you killed a good guy then game over!

This is a nice idea for some form of mid game level where you are told to pick up your zap stick, ready, steady, ZAPPPPPP!!!!!!

How about remote play through wifi? To me, I would rather sit on the couch and use the :pandora1: then sit in front of a computer to play. :Thinks about playing Tabula Rasa on the Pandora:

About Crayon Physics. If we are able to emulate Ds we can use the DS version. Pocket Physics.

And I'd like pIRC ( PandoraIRC).
The minigames? Already being made check the Pandora Panic topic.
And about Wifi, a FTP server client would be great. Nothing is better than online storage....

this is a topic i don't mind being resurrected did not see this yet.

Fun to see that most of the suggestions on the first page are almost guaranteed now :)

There are a lot of crayon phisics clones, some of them quite good, one will be ported probably.

FTP and all that stuff: well it's linux :rolleyes: that's the part i'm most looking forword to as a current windows user (only have linux on a test/practice pc here)

edit: spelling

Back