A Quick Question.

TreyMcfly

Still Fresh
So I was looking at the front of the Pandora home page and I noticed something interesting. I saw that it said you can access the internet on the Pandora device via your phone. How does that work? I know it has something to do with BT, but does it use minutes off your phone or is it like accessing the internet on your phone for the pandora? It might be a dumb question.

TreyMcFly said:
So I was looking at the front of the Pandora home page and I noticed something interesting. I saw that it said you can access the internet on the Pandora device via your phone. How does that work? I know it has something to do with BT, but does it use minutes off your phone or is it like accessing the internet on your phone for the pandora? It might be a dumb question.
It's like connecting to the internet with your phone (assuming it's one that's capable of doing so) except it acts as a gateway for the Pandora instead, through bluetooth. It doesn't use minutes, usually. It's usually an extra data plan you need to pay for. You'll need to investigate with your provider. North America is screwed in this respect, but I hear Europe and Asia have awesome data plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
North America is screwed in this respect

As a Canadian being raped by Rogers' overpricing; I know what you mean...$100+ per month for an iPhone? I think not. >.>

CyruzDraxs said:
WizardStan said:
North America is screwed in this respect

As a Canadian being raped by Rogers' overpricing; I know what you mean...$100+ per month for an iPhone? I think not. >.>

Amen my brother. I got my Blackberry thinking "sweet, email on the road."
It didn't take long before I found the option to shut off all data access.

The process of connecting a cellular phone to another device to be used as a cellular modem is called tethering. It can be done with a USB cable or over bluetooth. You must have a phone that is capable of tethering, and you must have a service plan that allows internet access. Note that the act of tethering will probably violate your service agreement unless you're paying extra for a tethering plan. If your provider discovers you are tethering your phone without paying for the plan, you could get hit with extra charges.

The method for tethering your phone to an external device varies by model. I suggest you search Howard Forums for more details on your particular phone.

I have a mobile with wifi (and bluetooth, of course) and I use it as a "standard wireless router" with my laptop. I'll be able to do that with Pandora too, but using bluetooth instead of wifi would save battery or it would be worse?

David Gutiérrez Palma said:
I have a mobile with wifi (and bluetooth, of course) and I use it as a "standard wireless router" with my laptop. I'll be able to do that with Pandora too, but using bluetooth instead of wifi would save battery or it would be worse?
Bluetooth uses significantly less power than wifi.

closetwam said:
I'm a total noob to this concept of... tethering. Can one connect to a standard dial-up ISP?
You might be able to, but that would be an awfully roundabout way of doing it. Slow, too.

What you're really going for with tethering is to use the internet connectivity provided by your cell carrier.

Yah, slow, I imagine it would be!

Cellular internet access is EXPENSIVE here in the USA, especially in my neck of the woods. I don't need to check out the latest vids or anything like that. I'd be satisfied to browse around in lynx, checking email and posting on forums. IM and News Feeds as well. Most of my internet use isn't bandwidth intensive to begin with, save my addiction to Wolfenstein: Enemy-Territory. I don't expect I'll spend much time playing W:ET on the Pandora =P

Unfortunatly, Wolfenstein: Enemy-Territory is closed source but is based on the now opensource Quake 3. Also part of the game was released as opensource to allow for mods to be created. Unfortunatly is not a simple thing to put the two together and have a portable W:ET. I may attempt a clone though since the maps have been opensourced recently and IOQuake is available :)

Sorry for getting OT

I wonder what cellphones or carriers can the pandora connect to for this method , I know its slow but It would be great for messengers or uploading downloading pics.

Back