Games For Dosbox - What Games Do You Want?

aapje89 - Yes, works great. Got Arcade Fruit Machine working great! Your application works!

Questions: 1) how do we get Adlib sound emulated?
2) how do we get the mouse working (eg games like Hexxagon, for example?
3) how do we get a game in fullscreen (I have a black band at the bottom of the screen)

Arcade Fruit Machine is a very basic, but good game - seems to work full speed, just, which shows the limit of the emulator! ;)

aapje89 - Yes, works great. Got Arcade Fruit Machine working great! Your application works!

3) how do we get a game in fullscreen (I have a black band at the bottom of the screen)

Arcade Fruit Machine is a very basic, but good game - seems to work full speed, just, which shows the limit of the emulator! ;)
1. no idea
2. no idea, never tried any mouse based games
3. hmm, just noticed it depends on the game, for example dynablaster is fullscreen, keen1 isn't.
Why, I don't know...

Im gonna try and find it out, also im adding joystick click as a configurable button.
And nmn asked if I could implement a frameskip and sound so im going to add that as well.

Edit: I found out that when changing (in dosbox.conf) aspect to true, makes keen1 now almost fullscreen.
And dynablaster still works, so im going to make that default.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to get dosbox to work but all I get is this "black screen of death" when I run start.gpe. I can't understand what I'm doing wrong! Is anyone else having this problem with dosbox? Black screen, nothing else?

Could someone maybe send me a zipped directory of a working dosbox setup with a game?

I'm starting to think that my gp2x is abnormal in some way :huh:

I'm trying to get dosbox to work but all I get is this "black screen of death" when I run start.gpe. I can't understand what I'm doing wrong! Is anyone else having this problem with dosbox? Black screen, nothing else?

Could someone maybe send me a zipped directory of a working dosbox setup with a game?

it could be that you are overclocking to high, anyway to try download this:
http://hardwin.kicks-ass.org/sd.zip
and extract the contents to the root of your SD card.

UFO: Enemy Unknown!!! (X-COM 1) (and many more games, like rpg classics etc)

When it's playable I'll be in heaven ;) (I know about Amiga emu, but it's slow)

I had this too, I spent a few hours (!) getting to the root of it. I too kept getting a black screen, or returning to theGP2x menu!

What you do is this (all case sensitive):

1) folder in root on SD card called "dosbox" (no quotes), containing the dosbox file (it has no ending if you notice)
2) Folder in the dosbox folder for game - remember to keep it 8 characters or less (DOS) - eg I called Arcade Fruit Machine "fruitmc". path is therefore (on SD card): dosbox\fruitmc. Put all the DOS files for the game here.
3)run aapje89's fantastic program to map the keys (read his readme). Note you can change the joystick configuration in the config file. These three files MUST go into the game folder (in the example above, into dos\fruitmc ).

That is it. :)

1. no idea
2. no idea, never tried any mouse based games
3. hmm, just noticed it depends on the game, for example dynablaster is fullscreen, keen1 isn't.
Why, I don't know...

Im gonna try and find it out, also im adding joystick click as a configurable button.
And nmn asked if I could implement a frameskip and sound so im going to add that as well.

Edit: I found out that when changing (in dosbox.conf) aspect to true, makes keen1 now almost fullscreen.
And dynablaster still works, so im going to make that default.
Fantastic work! These new changes will be awesome - look forward to getting them!

Any chance of a list of DOS games which run at good speed on the emulator please? (the wiki is out of date!)

Last Half Of Darkness - havn't played that in years with sound - abandonware too last time I checked, so I can finally play part two, havn't managed to get it to work on my PC - do you know how many years i've waited for part two? :blink:

Last Half Of Darkness - havn't played that in years with sound - abandonware too last time I checked, so I can finally play part two, havn't managed to get it to work on my PC - do you know how many years i've waited for part two? :blink:
I know what you mean. Not played your game, but Arcade Fruit Machine was a game I bought when it came out - it is crude, came on a single floppy disk and only ran in DOS. I don't think Windows 95 or 98SE ran it - so I haven't played it for several years. Graphics are crude, but work well on the GP2x, and look crisp. Game is still one of the best fruit machine games out there.

Some DOS games were true classics and still play well today. Graphically they work well as the GP2x screen is small and is only 320x240, which is ideal.

I would looove to see Alley Cat!!! My first video game ever... :wub:

I would think it would work, seeing it was released in mid-eighties...

Start up gngeo, play a neo geo game for a bit. Quit, and load dosbox.

Voila.

I'm serious.

I'm a huge fan of DOS games and would love to see, as listed by others, SSI Gold Box games and also old faves of mine like Overlord, Millenium, and The Dark Heart of Uukrul. The only problem I see with a couple of these, Uukrul in particular, is the copy protection documents needed like the non-xeroxable brown amulet sheets for Uukrul or the voluminous players guide for the SSI games... any workarounds for those? At any rate, being able to play ANY DOS games is a good thing in my opinion... takes me back to the days of games with content rather than dazzling effects and hours spent allocating memory to load drivers and still run the games! Ahhhhh, memories.

Thanks, I tried it but it didn't work. Black screen again :(
I guess I have to give up on this. Something is just wrong with my unit.

Thanks, I tried it but it didn't work. Black screen again :(
I guess I have to give up on this. Something is just wrong with my unit.

I got this as well, but then I ran the neogeo emulator with metal slug, and quit once it loads - and voila dosbox works until I turn off the gp2x.

With this - I can now play covert action - albeit very slowly... Joy Joy!

Hope that helps

Back