You Know.. This Is What I Want :) Sace Combat Sims

TIE Fighter is one of the best games IMO. It definitely lands in my top FIVE(!) games ever played! I bought a joystick just so I could play it.

To Jarska333: I doubt ANY DOS emu on the GP2X will be able to play it, as it requires some 3d processing, plus x86 processing, plus the game itself, etc. Probably not doeable if what others tell me is right. Some people are doubting even a DOSBox on the GP2X!

Iorgy77 posted on Dec 16 2005 at 11:52 PM said:
X-Wing on the DS?

What? Where?

X-Wing was the first game that really blew me away on the PC.

Yeah I loved X-Wing as well. The DS clone is called Starfighter Skirmish, and its pretty damm good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reesy posted on Dec 16 2005 at 07:12 PM said:
Have you seen the X-wing clone for the DS, its very good. I agree we need a space game and we also need a good 3d racing game. Anybody know of any freeware source code?

Look at Google für "Ultimate STunts + linux" etc., it's a cool clone of the old dos classic stunts... most favourite car driving game EVER. Check the Underdogs if you don't know it ;)

Hey, the source for Freespace 2 is available, ofcourse it being dependant on 3d hardware will make a port highly difficult (not to mention the system requirements)

By the way, it has been ported to mac and there is even a project going to bring the graphics of freespace more up to date with todays games called the freespace 2 source code project. I've tried this source code project, a little difficult to install, but it sure is worth the effort, you won't believe how much they've improved it.

Here is the link for all those space combat sims fans= Webpage Source code project
and the forum to ask your questions (trust me, you will have some questions on how to install the mod) or a direct link to the right subforum

Freespace 2 is quite possible my favorite game ever, and the source code project only improves it, trust me, try it.

As far as i know, the sourcecode for Descent, Descent 2 and Descent: Freespace is also avaiable. While Descent 1+2 aren´t exactly space combat sims, they are still fun to play, but (seeing as i don´t have a clue about programming) i dont know if porting those games is possible/likely.
But i can remember playing Descent 2 on a 100 MHz 486DX PC without graphics accelteration...

Second, i think Starfox will get a game on the DS, but currently there's nothing on a release list.
lests just hope it isn't ANYTHING like either of the gcn versions. adventures was fun but really wasn't starfox assuallt just completly sucked.

I had the old DOS wingcommander, that game was mad fun

skeezix posted on Dec 16 2005 at 08:14 PM said:
Interesting.. turns out there are some fan-remakes out there.. check this out:

http://priv.solsector.net/

Open source, multi-platform. Depends on a 3d card however. Will have to keep looking for others.. I'd love to find a software rendered one for Linux .. that'd be a port to do :)

jeff

That looks rather tasty.....

skeezix posted on Dec 16 2005 at 05:52 PM said:
I want a new Wing Commander.

And I bloody want Freespace 3 finally! FS2 was the last real space combat sim out there, freelancer was a joke as well as X2, X3! It's really sad that the genre died completely on the PC, it's like space shooters, they died completely on consoles(oh well almost).

I hate the mainstream.

Oh on topic: I think a space sim for the gp2x would be nice :)

Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 20 2005 at 03:45 PM said:

And I bloody want Freespace 3 finally! FS2 was the last real space combat sim out there, freelancer was a joke as well as X2, X3! It's really sad that the genre died completely on the PC, it's like space shooters, they died completely on consoles(oh well almost).

I hate the mainstream.

yeah freespace2 was awesome
I recently found out about this BSG conversion for FS2 (and I just love the new series)
http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/

Looks great already, really hope they finish it

wahwah posted on Dec 22 2005 at 02:33 PM said:
Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 20 2005 at 03:45 PM said:

I hate the mainstream.

yeah freespace2 was awesome
I recently found out about this BSG conversion for FS2 (and I just love the new series)
http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/

Looks great already, really hope they finish it

Had a look through the site, it looks brilliant because this is actually a mod which will be installed above the freespace source code project (see my last post), so will look brilliant but therefore it will also require a powerful computer, luckily i just upgrade mine :p

Back