GAME TESTER: Do you have any sympathy for this guy?

GAME TESTER: Do you have any sympathy for this guy?

• Total voters

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
http://kotaku.com/i-freelanced-on-halo-4-its-time-for-gamings-contract-510353357

I certainly don't. I mean, I might be able to empathize with him, but it seems as though that he just gave up or threw in the towel a little too easily.

I Freelanced On Halo 4. It's Time For Gaming's Contractors To Strike

My name is Nathan (RC) Peters. In March 2011, I was hired on as a contract Quality Assurance tester to work at Certain Affinity studios in Austin, Texas. I worked on the multiplayer portion of Halo 4. Here is an inside look at the reality of being a contract worker within a video game company, and why you should never accept a job as a contractor. Continue
NoJobSecurity72_1332794714.jpg

EDIT:

Update

Gaming Contractors May Not Be Superstars, But We Don't Need To Strike

There was recently an article published on this very site, written by Nathan Peters. It was a description of his experience as a contract employee in the video game industry; specifically in the QA department of Certain Affinity, a studio that worked on multiplayer aspects of Halo 4. The summary of the article is that if you’re looking to be involved in the video game industry you should never be a contract employee. In fact, it goes so far as state that “It’s time for gaming’s contractors to strike.” Never mind that this statement is immediately preceded by a sentence that starts with “I freelanced…” Yeah. So here’s another viewpoint. More here
http://kotaku.com/gaming-contractors-may-not-be-superstars-but-we-dont-511040096

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like my last job...it was sales, made it sound like you can move up the ladder and overhype it. Until you notice that all they want is cheap labour. I don't blame him for calling it quits, they probably would have let him go any way...

I thought there was going to be something new in that story, but no - same old same old.  Game dev is pants, and game testing is even pantser.

Sounds like a good idea to call for a strike to demand better conditions from these AAA companies. Problem probably is that few of them are unionized, and striking without union backing is quite a big financial sacrifice that not everyone is willing or able to make.

You have the right to strike, regardless of whether you're directly employed by the company or through a subcontractor. The right to strike is a universal human right.

That's the life of private contracting. Get a degree and get in with the parent company.

You accept the risks when accepting a contract or sub contract job. There is no assurance, just a paycheck.

Sorry for his entitlement issue. Things rarely work out the way you think it will in that situation.

I hear way more disappoint stories than I do success ones in similar situations all the time.

That's the life of private contracting. Get a degree and get in with the parent company. You accept the risks when accepting a contract or sub contract job. There is no assurance, just a paycheck. Sorry for his entitlement issue. Things rarely work out the way you think it will in that situation. I hear way more disappoint stories than I do success ones in similar situations all the time.
I think this guy overvalues himself. 

He had his own music thingy, did well once, cocked it up later, is a bit older than the people around him and thinks he brings more to the table then others. And then reality hits him but he doesn't have the level of self critique needed to recognise it.

Seriously, 2 weeks before the end of the project he burns all his bridges and make sure everyone you've worked with will see him as an asshole that couldn't see it through and probably saddled his co-workers up with more work?

My guess is that he already was on his way out and there is some grudge involved here. These kind of jobs you do when you're young and you pay some learning money by doing too much stuff for too little money. But the experience of working in teams and on big projects and the comradery under your co-workers makes up for a lot and if you handle yourself well will lead to bigger paydays later.

The fact that he fell for the "this could lead to a permanent position" line tells me he has issues with reality. Contracting positions very rarely turn into full time positions. It happens, everyone has stories, but for every contractor that gets hired on full time there's 100 more that got the boot. You just don't count on it, and if you have a grudge because it didn't happen then you are way overvaluing yourself.

The fact that he fell for the "this could lead to a permanent position" line tells me he has issues with reality. Contracting positions very rarely turn into full time positions. It happens, everyone has stories, but for every contractor that gets hired on full time there's 100 more that got the boot. You just don't count on it, and if you have a grudge because it didn't happen then you are way overvaluing yourself.
Certainly sounds like it. Every contractor gets the same story "you may be hired" but it's easy once you are in the company to see that the ratio of contractor -> hired is usually very low. And it's natural for something like video games business, when you don't need resources constantly. 

He got paid for the job he did, albeit low by his accounts, and he enjoyed the job at first. Even if he had been hired in a permanent full time position, there's never any guarantee that the job (or his love of it) will last forever.

Future potential employers may read his posts and think twice about hiring him now - he's not done himself any favours

You have the right to strike, regardless of whether you're directly employed by the company or through a subcontractor. The right to strike is a universal human right.
Huh? I think the legal aspect really depends on the country. It's not that simple. 
The universal declaration of human rights is applicable in all countries and includes the right to strike.

Huh? I think the legal aspect really depends on the country. It's not that simple. 
The universal declaration of human rights is applicable in all countries and includes the right to strike.
I was under the impression that you needed to take a vote, and only if a majority of people voted to strike was a strike lawful.  Although I suppose as an individual you could just ask yourself and get 100% of the vote :)

Edit: Though it seems that rule doesn't apply to the states, where this particular story is set.

There is of course the issue of whether a strike gets recognized by your union, which determines whether or not your union will partially compensate for your lost wages during the strike. But there is no such thing as unlawful strikes: you are legally always allowed to strike (and of course not get paid). There are some exceptions depending on the country for some specific jobs like police, army, hospitals, etc where authorities can in some circumstances override the right to strike, but generally not in the private sector and certainly not in the video game industry.

Sounds to me like he misunderstood contract work.

What he should have heard was 'Get valuable experience in our industry and then use your talent and experience to show you're an asset we don't want to lose'

That's what temping means to me .. that or work when you want for how long you want - no ties.

I'm a part of a union at my job (government). We aren't legally allowed to strike. I individually, am allowed to strike, as in not working and not being paid, but I'd expect to be fired almost directly after putting my notice in. But as a group we are not, at least none of the demands will be met if we do, and may go as far as the entire union being abolished. (ie Let go)

My union gets me acceptable hours and working conditions and helps me from being fired for unjust causes. Its what a union should be there for. And in my case it is.

I don't have to pay dues and nobody is promoted over another just because of seniority. Its the best parts of the union crap and none of the bad IMO.

I think contract work sucks from a security perspective. I did it for years and never knew when the contracts were going to end until right before it happened, and I've even been let go because they didn't like my honest response to questions asked. (Technical jobs) someone would come in, give them a lie that satisfied their needs and when they eventually couldn't deliver they were also let go and I was asked to come back.

Now that I'm a perm employee they actually listen to my advise... Strange isn't it?

There re lots of things written in the declaration of human rights that do not apply directly in the countries that signed it.

This declaration of human rights means NOTHING.

Especially since many dictator states signed it, do you expect them to act IN FAVOR of their citizens?

Egypt signed it and that didn't prevent them from killing tons of people during the "arab spring" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Declaration_of_Human_Rights

Seriously, stop using this reference, it's clear nobody cares about it.

Wikipedia :

In Canada [SIZE=small][edit][/SIZE]
In Canada there is no constitutional right to strike, as per a 1987 Supreme Court ruling on a reference case brought by the province of Alberta. In Canada the federal and provincial governments can (and often do) introduce "back to work legislation" that ends a strike (or a lockout) by declaring it illegal.

More :

In the People's Republic of China and the former Soviet Union [SIZE=small][edit][/SIZE]
In some Marxist-Leninist states, such as the former USSR or the People's Republic of China, striking is illegal and viewed as counter-revolutionary (see Trade unions in the Soviet UnionAll-China Federation of Trade Unions). Since the government in such systems claims to represent the working class, it has been argued that unions and strikes were not necessary.

More :

In the United States

The Railway Labor Act bans strikes by United States airline and railroad employees except in narrowly defined circumstances. The National Labor Relations Act generally permits strikes, but provides a mechanism to enjoin strikes in industries in which a strike would create a national emergency

So, the strike Right is FAR from being Universal, and there are many other countries which do not recognize it or put severe restrictions to it. 

Back