Would Any Of You Like A Port Of This Game?

Dimension

Still Fresh
Hi everyone! Im relatively new here and should have my gp2x any day now! For the last few weeks ive been porting over a software renderer specifically for the gp2x for my future projects! Anyways about a month ago I wrote a prototype of a game called maze runner 3d which is a addicting maze game that I wrote in darkbasic and is being ported to openGL and is about 1/4 done. It has also been mentioned in the game creators newsletter in september. I just wanted to know if its worth the effort of me porting it and whether you all would enjoy playing it. here is some info and a link to the projects thread and website. I will host the actual game for you to try and see if you like it in a little while. So here is some info about the game: So I really just want to know if anyone likes these kind of games and would like to see a simple port(It will take awhile,lol)

This is a game I started a year ago but stopped. But now In the last week I have continued it and came up with this. It was originally 2d but I decided to go all out and make it into a 3d game. In its current state it is a complete game with media now.The object of the game is to get the highest score posssible.(of course) to complete a level you must collect all the red spheres hidden in the maze before time runs out.there is a 2d hud that shows you where they are and your current location.The game also generates a random maze each time depending on the difficulty chosen.each sphere is worth 100 points.you gain additional points by finishing levels faster and also by advancing levels.
heres where it gets intresting. all levels can not be completed by simply advancing through the maze therefore you must use special abilitys like speed boosts and jumping.but these eat away at your points so use thenm sparingly.I hope you enjoy this game! I would like your comments so that I can further add features and eventually nice graphics,sound and enemys.That being said lets get to the controls.
controls:
mouselook
wasd to move and rotate(rotate is there only if you do not want to use the mouse until I implement strafing)
hold in shift for speed boost(when you have enough points)
space to jump(when you have enough points)

speed boost costs 5 per timer based movement
you can use speed boost while jumping to get a super jump.though it is costly.

and thatz it feel free to comment and ask questions.heres some screens and the game.Id also like to hear your high scores and on what difficulty.for you 56k people the download is under 3mb.so go give it a try.

Things being worked on:
multiplayer modes
dungeon generation
battle system
more efficient random generation
super difficult maze generation(working!!!)will be in next update.

heres some screens:

mazerunnerscr9hc7.jpg

mazerunnerscr4xf8.jpg

mazerunnerscr5zw7.jpg

mazerunnerscr11mc3.jpg

mazerunnerscr10dh1.jpg

heres the darkbasic forum thread: here

and heres the temporary web page Im sorry its freewebs my host discontinued his service :( : My Webpage

Awesome. Give it a go, it definitely can't hurt. :)
If you have any questions about getting the game up and running don't be afraid to ask. :)

Wow, the least I can say that the graphics are fantastic, I would love to have it ported even if it wasn't playable, just to show off with such graphics :)

The walls look like they use parallax mapping or some kind of displacement map?

If not already i think there should be a monster in the maze like...

3D Monster Maze on the Speccy...
zx81-3dmaze.gif

:D

The walls look like they use parallax mapping or some kind of displacement map?

If not already i think there should be a monster in the maze like...

3D Monster Maze on the Speccy...
zx81-3dmaze.gif

:D

I think you mean ZX81 rather than Speccy ;-) There weren't too many good games on the ZX81, but this was one of them.

Fondly remembering the 'fast' processing when the screen went black whilst the 81 was doing the processing and drawing to the screen. Could make a cup of tea whilst Football Manager was processing - a season took an absolute age...

EDIT - back on topic, maze runner 3D looks great !

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick questions for this project. :)
I imagine you will be taking the code from DarkBASIC and moving it over to a C/C++ codebase. Most GP2X projects are written in C or C++ and are compiled with GCC.
Are you planning to use an OpenGL library for this project?
Out of curiosity, do you expect the transition from DarkBASIC to C/C++ will be a lot of work? I never used/seen DarkBASIC, so I wonder how it compares/adapts.

Thanks for this thread. An original game that is fun is always welcome to homebrew gaming. ;)

id love to see a port of that (the graphics remind me of the Cube FPS engine thingy) or is it just me?

Any details on the software renderer you're porting Dimension? It will be OpenGL compatible?

Thanks for your intrest everyone! To clarify ill answer some of your questions:

Quick questions for this project. smile.gif
I imagine you will be taking the code from DarkBASIC and moving it over to a C/C++ codebase. Most GP2X projects are written in C or C++ and are compiled with GCC.
Are you planning to use an OpenGL library for this project?
Out of curiosity, do you expect the transition from DarkBASIC to C/C++ will be a lot of work? I never used/seen DarkBASIC, so I wonder how it compares/adapts.

Thanks for this thread. An original game that is fun is always welcome to homebrew gaming. wink.gif

Let me explain. First off this was a 2d game originally that I originally wrote many years ago on my old computer using openGL. I then decided to expand and make it 3d which I wrote in Darkbasic for its ease of use. As i will be writing this in C/C++ its more of a port of the current openGL project port that ive been working on. I could use an openGL library which would be less work but im not completely positive how useful they will be and also it will most likely run slow. Therefore Im thinking of using a software 3d engine that I have been writing for the PC. But its very primitive and needs alot of work so I still have to see what im going to do as far as that goes. as for how easy it is to port Darkbasic to C/C++ let me reword that its not exactly going to be a straitforward port its going to be designed the same way using the same algorithms just will be coded quite differently as basic and C are completely different languages in a sense. Rest assured I have been programming in C longer then Ive ever touched basic so really its just going to take longer.

Awesome. Give it a go, it definitely can't hurt. smile.gif
If you have any questions about getting the game up and running don't be afraid to ask. smile.gif

Any details on the software renderer you're porting Dimension? It will be OpenGL compatible?

as I said before it is very primitive but does the basic things it should including primitives, scalin, rotation, translation, basic lighting, solid shading and linear texture mapping(very basic) and not completely working. It currently only works on a pc cause it relies heavily on floating point precision and pixel toaster which is a great frame buffer library. But again it needs alot of work! and im not completely positive with what I want to do with it yet. As for the openGL support. My library is function based so I should be able to make openGl code portable but again I can't really say as its in a very primitive state. so we will see what happens.

Thanks! HElp is always greatly appreciated! :D

Also the last thing I would like to ask is what 3d librarys are currently working with the 2x as if theres something already good for the task why reinvent the wheel. Though that is fun sometimes,lol Again im really glad you guys are intrested! Do you guys want me to host the game? illl see if I can find a place! Thanks!

Back