Game Editor

TylerAW

Deleted because I don't think anybody reads this section

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if nobody would read this section, why remove the link?

I'm no expert, but yeah, I think someone will need to port it.

Also, I just noticed what sub-forum this is in, game creation kits, how long has this been here, I didn't notice it til now, lol.

I haven't had much luck compiling the editor for ARM, and I'm not entirely certain if it's possible to simply compile "the player" for it: when you make a game, it outputs a binary for your intended target, no extra program required. You can output DAT files which can be loaded in an iPhone app, but I'm not porting an iPhone app to the Pandora: that's just asking for trouble :p

Can someone who has worked with this more extensively help me figure out how it's supposed to work? The editor can output Windows and Linux binaries, but what if someone only outputs a Windows binary? Is there a Linux program that can open that Windows binary and still play the game? I'm betting the binary it outputs is little more than a standard precompiled executable with the data tacked onto the end, so it should be possible, I just need to figure out how and if someone has already done half the work.

I haven't had much luck compiling the editor for ARM, and I'm not entirely certain if it's possible to simply compile "the player" for it: when you make a game, it outputs a binary for your intended target, no extra program required. You can output DAT files which can be loaded in an iPhone app, but I'm not porting an iPhone app to the Pandora: that's just asking for trouble :p

Can someone who has worked with this more extensively help me figure out how it's supposed to work? The editor can output Windows and Linux binaries, but what if someone only outputs a Windows binary? Is there a Linux program that can open that Windows binary and still play the game? I'm betting the binary it outputs is little more than a standard precompiled executable with the data tacked onto the end, so it should be possible, I just need to figure out how and if someone has already done half the work.

The Editor can output binaries for specific systems OR Dat-Files which can be run using a runtime.

I tried it on my linux box: Created a DAT-File and ran that using a linux runtime and that worked.

That's how the Pandora-Version should work as well.

The runtime is not that well coded though: If you run it without any parameters or a broken datfile, it just doesn't do anything. No errors, just sits at the cursor.

The best is to load the sample game into the editor, export that to a generic DAT, try to run that using the runtime on your PC (Linux or Windows) to make sure the DAT is okay and then try to port the runtime to the Pandora and run it from there.

The Editor can output binaries for specific systems OR Dat-Files which can be run using a runtime.

I tried it on my linux box: Created a DAT-File and ran that using a linux runtime and that worked.

That's how the Pandora-Version should work as well.

The runtime is not that well coded though: If you run it without any parameters or a broken datfile, it just doesn't do anything. No errors, just sits at the cursor.

The best is to load the sample game into the editor, export that to a generic DAT, try to run that using the runtime on your PC (Linux or Windows) to make sure the DAT is okay and then try to port the runtime to the Pandora and run it from there.
That's the problem I'm having though, I can't find any runtime source, not even a runtime binary. Or maybe I did find the runtime binary but can't for the life of me figure out how to use it. What am I looking for?

I'm sure it's staring me right in the face and when I finally see it I'll think myself an idiot, but right now I just can't find it.

That's the problem I'm having though, I can't find any runtime source, not even a runtime binary. Or maybe I did find the runtime binary but can't for the life of me figure out how to use it. What am I looking for?

I'm sure it's staring me right in the face and when I finally see it I'll think myself an idiot, but right now I just can't find it.

Is that probably the GameEngine subdir in the sorucecode-Trunk?

I could also ask the author :)

Game-editor is hard to figure out how to compile/use. I tried when the source was first released and failed to get a fully working version til the official one was built. Could never get it to accept dat files. I think you are going to have to contact makslane 'bout this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle is going to contact makslane (the author), so let's hope this leads to something :)

Okay, I finally found some time asking makslane about it.

He did send me the link to the compilation instructions:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/game-editor/browser/trunk/compilation.txt

Does that help? :)
YES!

This is the line that I was looking for:

Code:
To compile the Linux engine set the GAMEEDITOR_TYPE to GAMEEDITOR_PROFESSIONAL_STAND_ALONE in the makefile

With that, I was able to build an executable on my desktop that took pre-built GameEditor games as input and played them.

Unfortunately, when I then cross compiled it for the Pandora, the resulting executable just hangs. I don't know what the issue is just yet, but this is very promising.

Thanks a lot!

Okay, I finally found some time asking makslane about it.

He did send me the link to the compilation instructions:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/game-editor/browser/trunk/compilation.txt

Does that help? :)
YES!

This is the line that I was looking for:

Code:
To compile the Linux engine set the GAMEEDITOR_TYPE to GAMEEDITOR_PROFESSIONAL_STAND_ALONE in the makefile

With that, I was able to build an executable on my desktop that took pre-built GameEditor games as input and played them.

Unfortunately, when I then cross compiled it for the Pandora, the resulting executable just hangs. I don't know what the issue is just yet, but this is very promising.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, that's as far as Pickle got :)

I got some info from makslane (the dev):

"The port need to be done using the provided SDL in the Game Editor source code."

Also, if someone wants to contact the author, the mail address would be:

makslane@game-editor.com

I told this to Pickle already, so maybe you can contact him and work together :)

Back