Game Editor?is It Any Good?

I haven't dug too deep, but I'm sure I've seen games made with it for the GP2X, so it is feasible...

When I looked at the editor it seemed more setup to do one screen games, but I didn't look too closely...

It says it's open-source and has a Linux version, so I'm sure the designer program could be ported to Pandora, but it seems to create native executables, so you probably couldn't port existing games without the source or at least some kind of bytecode version.

It looks like it has some useful features, like platform physics, but I can't say how good it is, as I've never used game creator programs.

Yeah, I created a working Pinball engine and my entry for the Crap Games Competition for the gp2x years ago with it.
Basically, it was good - but the gp2x version went down to 10fps once you included music :)

I used it for a long while, it was good for making simple games, but it's DEAD SLOW. Don't believe me? Want evidence? It uses the PAWN interpreter :D. And like EvilDragon said, it dropped to 10FPS with music fr Pinball, that's kinda sad performance, GP2X can do much better.
If you're looking to make simple games quikly, it's more than suitable. However, it is SLOW, waste of cycles (and therefore battery life), and by using an interface like this, you can't fix silly little bugs like a collision occuring on the transparent pxiels of an image or something similar.

Things may have changed a lot in the year or so since I last ran it, and don't get me wrong, makslane (the original writer of the program) is a great guy. Since it was Opensourced, making it possible to make Pandora executables can't really be that difficult, I think the structure has the base engine code, with a project file strapped to it.

Good luck anyway :D. It might just get you started on more 'raw, bloody' dev (C/C++, or dare I say, ASSEMBLER? :D)

Back