Release FoxtrotGPS

Hi,

Is there any way that GPSD can be built into this PND or will I have to install and launch GPSD seperately ?

(Currently not running GPSD on my Pandora, but do have a GPS dongle that I know works under Ubuntu with TangoGPS and GPSD running.)

Cheers.

Work has been kicking my ass recently, I still need to dig into the issue.. I plan on looking into it tonight..

You need to install it separately. Follow these instructions to correctly connect your GPS dongle:

http://pandorawiki.org/GPS

OK so I got GPSD installed and running on NAND.

I know the daemon is running thanks to 'ps aux | grep gpsd'.

Does anyone have any idea how to get the USB end of things working, the wiki only really covers Bluetooth connections.

Apart from that a great offline map viewer.

Does anyone have any idea how to get the USB end of things working, the wiki only really covers Bluetooth connections.
USB GPS setup should be quite similar to Bluetooth GPS, just skip all the rfcomm stuff and change the device GPSD uses to your GPS device (either in /etc/default/gpsd or manually on the command line: "gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0", for example).

@everyone discussing Navit here:

I'd really appreciate to have Navit running on the Pandora, but could you please continue the Navit discussion in a separate thread? As this is the beta testing thread for FoxtrotGPS, i'd like to keep it on topic.

Btw: There’s already a feature request in the FoxtrotGPS bugtracker regarding the address search: https://bugs.launchp...ps/ bug/1007234 . However, I think FoxtrotGPS is primarily intended to be a mapping application (-> recording of GPS tracks) or as a helper for geocaching (-> routing to specific coordinates), and less to be a navigation software, so IMO address search is not a critical feature here.

USB GPS setup should be quite similar to Bluetooth GPS, just skip all the rfcomm stuff and change the device GPSD uses to your GPS device (either in /etc/default/gpsd or manually on the command line: "gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0", for example).

Cheers,

I got GPSD up and running by using 'gpsd -N -n -D 2 /dev/ttyUSB0'

To kill it you can use either 'sudo killall gpsd' or 'sudo kill -SIGINT `pgrep gpsd`

Unfortunately it looks as if my dongle isn't being found as neither 'lsusb' nor 'dmesg | grep tty' are returning anything useful.

Looks like I might have to be looking at why the dongle isn't being found.

Odd as it works fine on Ubuntu.

Cheers.

Cheers,

I got GPSD up and running by using 'gpsd -N -n -D 2 /dev/ttyUSB0'

To kill it you can use either 'sudo killall gpsd' or 'sudo kill -SIGINT `pgrep gpsd`

Unfortunately it looks as if my dongle isn't being found as neither 'lsusb' nor 'dmesg | grep tty' are returning anything useful.

Looks like I might have to be looking at why the dongle isn't being found.

Odd as it works fine on Ubuntu.

Cheers.

is it because it's USB1 ? If that is the case you need a hub, maybe?

Honestly a bit stumped on it, I tried packaging the older version available on the angstrom repository, but getting the same blank window.

OK, so I can confirm that this works fine with an external USB GPS dongle.

I can plug my dongle into a hub and it has a steady light, wait for it to get a signal and it has a flashing light.

Start the daemon, and start Foxtrot and everything works.

Cheers everyone.

I just downloaded Foxtrot, and it works really well as a mapping program. Is there something that I can do to make this, "API Key Required", text disappear from the map?

Back