Four Shoulder Buttons?

Four shoulder buttons?

• Yes

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Yes, but I'm concerned about not being able to press the right button.

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

Alternative placing of R2 and L2 buttons:

http://www.archos.com/img/products/home/archos_tv_connect/dwd/TV_touch_remote.jpg

TV_touch_remote.jpg
Ehh... I don't particularly like the placement. Aside from that, tho', that looks like a neat controller. How much is that?

-God Ginrai

Interesting. I already have a Google TV and a Roku, so the extra stuff doesn't appeal to me so much. But I'll keep tabs on it.

-God Ginrai

I've given this some thought - not that my thoughts actually count.  Yes, it should have 4 shoulder buttons, 2 per side.

Right now we're using a big flap paddle that also acts as the exposed corner of the device.  Let's not repeat that, OK?

The shoulder or trigger buttons should be able to be used individually (selectively) or mashed (all at once) or one held and the others hit selectively.  That leads to an engineering issue since we're really talking about something that is only going to be used with one finger per 2 buttons.

I think I have a solution.  Two closely spaced switches with tall narrow caps.  They could be upwards of 4mm 'long' left to right, but only 2-3mm from peak to peak vertically.

/\_/\

And that is just about to scale.  The points could be rounded off a bit.

It would be easy to feel which button you're on.  You could rest your finger on the valley between.  Push down and in for the lower, up and in for the upper, or straight in for both.

Think of it as a finger-sized rocker switch with a hinge/split in the middle.
I still like this solution.  It would look a lot like a 1/6th scale version of this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-300SE-Antenna-Switch-Up-Down-Button-Clear-Signal-OFF-ANT-OEM-/160750010270?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256d727f9e&vxp=mtr

With a split in the middle so both buttons up/down could be pressed at once.

I've given this some thought - not that my thoughts actually count.  Yes, it should have 4 shoulder buttons, 2 per side.

Right now we're using a big flap paddle that also acts as the exposed corner of the device.  Let's not repeat that, OK?

The shoulder or trigger buttons should be able to be used individually (selectively) or mashed (all at once) or one held and the others hit selectively.  That leads to an engineering issue since we're really talking about something that is only going to be used with one finger per 2 buttons.

I think I have a solution.  Two closely spaced switches with tall narrow caps.  They could be upwards of 4mm 'long' left to right, but only 2-3mm from peak to peak vertically.

/\_/\

And that is just about to scale.  The points could be rounded off a bit.

It would be easy to feel which button you're on.  You could rest your finger on the valley between.  Push down and in for the lower, up and in for the upper, or straight in for both.

Think of it as a finger-sized rocker switch with a hinge/split in the middle.
I still like this solution.  It would look a lot like a 1/6th scale version of this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-300SE-Antenna-Switch-Up-Down-Button-Clear-Signal-OFF-ANT-OEM-/160750010270?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256d727f9e&vxp=mtr

With a split in the middle so both buttons up/down could be pressed at once.
This is similar to my original idea. I really like the idea personally, but the other solutions are good too  :lol:

Back