Forum Feedback

Maybe swearing/namecalling should be banned alltogether.
Well, it's bad form that's for sure. Banning it outright is perhaps excessive.

Also i am tired of the high and mighty attitude some people seem to have, because they have experience in developing.
Instead of constructive criticism the feel the need to make people redicilous, its real immature.
The tone could be different, but on the other hand people should also listen to valid and reasonable arguments. Blindly ignoring valid points out of some form of unrealistic optimism is not very constructive either.

But enough about this matter here. Border line is that discussion and disagreement is bound to happen. Parties on either side should listen and be respectful. Should you or anyone else feel that things go out of hand then there is a nice Report button below each post which will call it to a moderators attention. Better to handle such incidents on a case-by-case basis as I reckon it is hard enough to get people to agree on what constitutes ridicule and immature behaviour.

I agree that the Pandora 2 forum deserves special attention of the moderators as it seems to be overly prone to such incidents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also i am tired of the high and mighty attitude some people seem to have, because they have experience in developing.
Instead of constructive criticism the feel the need to make people redicilous, its real immature.
The tone could be different, but on the other hand people should also listen to valid and reasonable arguments. Blindly ignoring valid points out of some form of unrealistic optimism is not very constructive either.

But enough about this matter here. Border line is that discussion and disagreement is bound to happen. Parties on either side should listen and be respectful. Should you or anyone else feel that things go out of hand then there is a nice Report button below each post which will call it to a moderators attention. Better to handle such incidents on a case-by-case basis as I reckon it is hard enough to get people to agree on what constitutes ridicule and immature behaviour.

I agree that the Pandora 2 forum deserves special attention of the moderators as it seems to be overly prone to such incidents.

Only time can tell if its realistic or not.

Also, is it possible to rename the "Report" function? Form my experience, most people only use such a function when something already went seriously wrong. It might be better if it was called something like "Call a moderator" or even "Is there something that might be wrong with this post?", and entering a report wasn't mandatory.

Changing it from report to report post would make things clearer imho.

I agree.

I forgot something: when topics are split, It's a good idea to put a pointer (i.e. link) into the first post of a the new topic, so that people have a chance to retrieve some context. Otherwise, it's often not even clear from the beginning that the new topic was yanked out of context.

+1
Your quote is broken, you accidentally into the middle of what Strigoi has written. Did you mean to agree to both?

-----

So it would be nice if people get modded for disregarding another persons opinion in a negative way.
I disagree with you on this matter. Would you like to hear why?

So it would be nice if people get modded for disregarding another persons opinion in a negative way.
I disagree with you on this matter. Would you like to hear why?

No, i dont want to know of any reason why it would be ok to swear or namecall or other negatives, having said that, in this topic i am not going to respond to people more then once, its a feedback topic....

Wow, incoming quote pyramid. Guys, please take the time to quote just the relevant parts of the discussion. It's getting hard to follow the discussion like this. Thank you in advance.

Wow, incoming quote pyramid. Guys, please take the time to quote just the relevant parts of the discussion. It's getting hard to follow the discussion like this. Thank you in advance.

You are right. i will change it.

If there will be some general rules after all, perhaps your suggestion could be one of the rules.

I like the quoting system on this forum, but it can be a bit messy at times.

No, i dont want to know of any reason why it would be ok to swear or namecall or other negatives, having said that, in this topic i am not going to respond to people more then once, its a feedback topic....
If swearing and calling names is what you mean by "negative way", then I agree.

I'd say the biggest improvement we could have would be to just be nice.

+1 here.

I never got involved before, but I've had to watch some of these heated 'discussions' with my mouth hanging open.

Keep in mind this is the only place on the internet I hang out. Why? The high level of general intelligence, the helpfulness, and the civility...

Hmm... Well, those three points have come under serious question recently.

And when I read those discussions it soon becomes clear that the content isn't so important, but that people are more interested in proving themselves right and the other person wrong.

Yes, our honored devs need to be respected and their words heeded... But if someone has their own views that seemingly contradict the wisdom of experience and they insist on sticking to these views... Then the best / worst you should do is to express and substantiate your counter views in a non-demeaning way, and then *leave it alone*.

It does no good adding fuel to a fire. People who are obviously trolling *need* you to react to them. Good or bad they don't care... Just so long as they are getting attention.

On the flip side, if you set out to *prove* the troll is a troll and you are right, at the cost of civility then actually you are just as bad as the troll.

This behavior is hard to let go of... it doesn't matter if you are the troll or the anti-troll... it is addictive for the ego and helps to solidify one's sense of self and position in the world.

Nobody is perfect. We are all human.

If we work together in compassion and tolerance for the myriad flaws we all share, then we can only go from strength to strength.

Making somebody wrong even if they are does you no good - no matter how good it feels at the time.

And if someone is trying to make you wrong, have compassion for them. Their ego *needs* to be validated, they are probably insecure under the surface, especially if they are always acting like a big shot.

The moral of the story?

Don't take it personally... treat everyone with respect as you would wish to be treated, even if you don't like or agree with them.

Be tolerant and detached when someone is acting out as opposed to joining in.

Imagine we are all equals regardless of our relative skill levels in different areas. We are all part of this community and the health of the community is more important than our individual egos.

After all, if someone is really out of line you can always report the offending posts... but no need to make it ugly in public where people can get hurt, and more importantly, the Open Pandora project can get damaged.

I'm tired of all these "get a life" posts. For one thing most of you know next to nothing about what the poster does in his or her free time, and regardless it's incredibly rude and irrelevant. If you don't want to talk to someone don't. For that matter, there's no point telling someone that they're being too "passionate" or "emotional", especially when they're just engaging in a technical discussion - regardless of how YOU interpret it you really don't know what someone's mood or motivation is and if you have nothing to contribute don't bother. Same goes for "you're just disagreeing with me because you don't like me" or "you argue everything" - focus on the actual content of someone's posts and get over your little judgment calls and analyses.

It's all just opinions and why people get so heated I will never understand. Everyone tends to make valid points and that is what matters, not the value of those points.

But on another note I have been coming here since 2010 and have had my Pandora for about as long. I like these forums, the threads do mange to get a bit wild at times, but I think it is well managed. Thanks for all your time.

(Craig get rid of this damn sub forum as its too early).
Craigix created that pandora 2 section to removes these flame calling threads from the middle of the general section.

That was a smart move. As if you dont want to get flamed, just keep away of this

Badge for developers maybe? I think people should be told to trust sebt or notaz over anything I say. Seriously who am I? just some smuck.

As for Pandora 2 forum rage. What do you mean something that doesn't exist is considering using something I know nothing about but have a feeling is wrong!

Back