Forum Feedback

Wally

I am a banana!
Hi All,

Given current circumstances where two staff members have left and the forums are all at war over stupid stuff I think its time that we all put in some suggestions / feedback to how we could run this place better.

So please put a suggestion in here but I will warn you now, this will be moderated by me and other staff if they have time. (Staff please un-approve posts if they do not see fit so we can review them later).

Thanks

Hey Wally,

I'm one of the long time forum members and while I've generally tried to be positive, I've been known to be a little passive aggressive.. I've decided to change my tone and work towards being a constructive member of the forums.

I'm glad to see yourself and others are trying to handle people whom I believe are enforcing the vitriol of late or feeding the drama llama. I'll also work towards answering questions from the new members of the forum and spread the love.

Last edited by a moderator:
A long time member with 1 post eh. :) Good to see you!

hahahaha. I "don't" have another account. I just wanted to make this one to reply with when somebody is trolling or making an arse of themselves. ;)

I'd like to report a bug. When viewing private messages, then clicking on "new content", we are redirected to the last created accounts.

Apart this i'm pretty happy here.

I'd like to report a bug. When viewing private messages, then clicking on "new content", we are redirected to the last created accounts.

Apart this i'm pretty happy here.

This is rather annoying I must say. I would also like to see this part of the system altered.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Moderation guideline and fixing "Ask [...] Questions", see here: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/9010-appsopenpandoraorg/page__st__20#entry163306

-----

Also, is it possible to rename the "Report" function? Form my experience, most people only use such a function when something already went seriously wrong. It might be better if it was called something like "Call a moderator" or even "Is there something that might be wrong with this post?", and entering a report wasn't mandatory.

-----

When viewing private messages, then clicking on "new content", we are redirected to the last created accounts.
I'm afraid this might well be a feature, as it also happens when you're in the Member List, for instance. If the way this works cannot be changed, but there are more people who think the way this works is annoying (I do too, by the way), it might make sense to complain directly at IP.Board's community forums.

Are there any people here who *do* like that it works this way?

edit:

-----

I forgot something: when topics are split, It's a good idea to put a pointer (i.e. link) into the first post of a the new topic, so that people have a chance to retrieve some context. Otherwise, it's often not even clear from the beginning that the new topic was yanked out of context.

Also, is it possible to rename the "Report" function? Form my experience, most people only use such a function when something already went seriously wrong. It might be better if it was called something like "Call a moderator" or even "Is there something that might be wrong with this post?", and entering a report wasn't mandatory.

Changing it from report to report post would make things clearer imho.

I forgot something: when topics are split, It's a good idea to put a pointer (i.e. link) into the first post of a the new topic, so that people have a chance to retrieve some context. Otherwise, it's often not even clear from the beginning that the new topic was yanked out of context.

+1

I think it would be good if we could answer questions in the 'Ask Ed/Craig' questions areas, but separately from the official reply

Alternatively have it so that only mods/admins can reply in those sections, and encourage people to post in to post in the support section?

Maybe filter all replies in those sections though a moderation/approval setup, requiring all user replies to have citations and give helpful/relevant information before becoming visible

I think it would be good if we could answer questions in the 'Ask Ed/Craig' questions areas, but separately from the official reply

Alternatively have it so that only mods/admins can reply in those sections, and encourage people to post in to post in the support section?

Maybe filter all replies in those sections though a moderation/approval setup, requiring all user replies to have citations and give helpful/relevant information before becoming visible

If you want to talk about something in the ask ed/craig questions area just use the general forum.

Otherwise the ask craig/ed questions section may as well just be 'questions' which already exists as a forum.

Maybe swearing/namecalling should be banned alltogether.

Also i am tired of the high and mighty attitude some people seem to have, because they have experience in developing.

Instead of constructive criticism the feel the need to make people redicilous, its real immature.

I am also really tired of scrolling trough large walls of txt caused by silly pro and con arguments about silly subjects like micro sd or not.

And even more tired of people that act like having a positive outlook on things is a bad thing, its the world upside down.

So it would be nice if people get modded for disregarding another persons opinion in a negative way.

Could we have a sticky with general behavior rules that hopefully stop people from being immature?

I was thinking about the times when someone turns up and asks "Wheres My Pandora You're Ignoring My Emails I Want To Cancel!' or suchlike

A general forum member can explain that there is a huge backlog, the order queue has been rearranged for unavoidable financial reasons, and assure the newbie that this is not a scam, often a general member can answer before the intended answerer gets to it.

Maybe all community answers should turn into a

[click here to show [3] unofficial answers] button

once the intended answerer has replied.

Or an automatic way of creating an associated comments & community answers page

Alternatively, prevent anyone except the original poster, admins and mods from posting replies

Changing it from report to report post would make things clearer imho.

I agree.

I was thinking about the times when someone turns up and asks "Wheres My Pandora You're Ignoring My Emails I Want To Cancel!' or suchlike

A general forum member can explain that there is a huge backlog, the order queue has been rearranged for unavoidable financial emails, and assure the newbie that this is not a scam, often a general member can answer before the intended answerer gets to it.

Maybe all community answers should turn into a

[click here to show [3] unofficial answers] button

once the intended answerer has replied.

Or an automatic way of creating an associated comments & community answers page

Alternatively, prevent anyone except the original poster, admins and mods from posting replies

I understand what you're saying.. I think an FAQ would do well here. Time to start making one so we can just point people to this page instead of explaining everything over and over.

Maybe swearing/namecalling should be banned alltogether.

Could be done but I doubt it'd go down well.

Also i am tired of the high and mighty attitude some people have developed because they are experience in developing.

Instead of consttructive critics the feel the need to make people redicilous, its real immature.

Some of the Pandora 2 section things are a bit out of hand. It'll take time to sort and digest. I don't like how developers are having to get involved to prove a point. (Craig get rid of this damn sub forum as its too early).

I am also really tired of scrolling trough large walls of txt caused by silly pro and con arguments about silly subjects like micro sd or not.

Well yes annoying as it may be, but its Pandora 2 spam for a reason. As I said before, its too early for a Pandora 2 section as its just going to cause trolling and flames.

Maybe we should have an 'order problems' section, actually that might be a good idea.

No. We don't need another section.. It falls under Support.

Maybe we should have an 'order problems' section, actually that might be a good idea.
No. We don't need another section.. It falls under Support.

Maybe sub sections for support, and a general rules sticky that states to post your problems/findings in the correct section, to prevent mods from getting a headache.

As I said before, its too early for a Pandora 2 section as its just going to cause trolling and flames.
Given the random hints given and ideas suggested about the P2, there will always be discussions, and some will get out of hand.

Unless everyone agrees to complete silence about it, the mixture of flamewars and daydreaming will litter the rest of the forums like it did before.

Back