Forum Feedback

I think its an excellent idea, well I could not get the damn irc client thingy to work before, so i gave up on it.

I think there would be a lot more people availing of irc/chatbox if it were built into the forum, Vcoleiro has my vote.

I think alot of people do not even know that the current irc channel exists tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:
UTbmTk2.png

How to recreate: Switch to the Pyra theme, click on the Reply to this topic textbox, then click on the image icon.

I was out of this discussion already and didn't follow it up to the last posts, but Wallys reasoning is getting more silly than usual sometime:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/13316-damsel-in-distress-mouhaha/page-9#entry354091/URL]

Discussing keyboards in "Offtopic General talk"? oO

To me it sounds like he wants to get rid of the whole area

which reminds me of the case where a politican that wanted to completely shut down the ministry of environment in Germany shortly afterwards has become the minister of... the ministry of environment (I think he still is?).

oO

Do you mods discuss this stuff or is it just a matter of someones current mood?

We discuss it. Im not supposed to say im a secret mod, but since you asked you foiled our plan. I dont know what we will do now.

I do think having a central IRC-chat-box is beneficial. Then you get all of the sentiment that you otherwise lose to people spending an extra 2 minutes looking for where it shouldnt be and then accepting that solution

To be honest, although I don't really care for the particular threads and I like most people here, I think that stuff on these boards is handled the wrong way.

The level of preemptive deescalation has reached a point I don't aggree with (I don't have to mention the usual political correctness stuff, it's only part of the problem)

and since I have to admit to myself, that I lost most interest on these boards a while ago and got other stuff to do atm anyway (developing and building my own hurdy-gurdys) besides my main job, I think I won't participate here anymore in the near future, which usually means deleting my bookmark.

Have a good time and don't take everything so seriously.

Why not implement the chat box they use on ouyaforum.com ( you need to be logged in to see it ) . Seems to be a simple thing to implement, there is enough want for it. It's been mentioned enough , just keeps getting the old , do I have to, I can't be bothered mentality. Time to look into it seriously me thinks. I mentioned it before, it's a good way to bring the forum members closer and have more free flowing general discussions. It's used a LOT on the ouyaforum.

It's also all about how and where it's implemented. They had played with a lot of different places etc on Ouyaforum before they got the right place for it. Ie put it in a section and it doesn't get used, expect people to go to a link to it , it doesn't get used, etc etc

We don't really need more than one chat system.. Just throws another spanner into the works ;)

IRC support would be nice but I think ED already said that it was proving to be difficult to add.

Should the IRC channel be at least added to the [Community] drop down menu of this forum?

I'd think so, also a sticky panel on the right hand side along with the donations info, just a little panel with the channel name and perhaps a link to a readme

http://www.qwebirc.org/faq

qwebirc supports embedding a widget on a website. Look at the first answer, second line.

It outputs something like this: <iframe src="http://webchat.quakenet.org/?nick=T4b&channels=openpandora%2Cdragonbox-pyra&uio=d4" width="647" height="400"></iframe>

I haven't tried it, but supposedly this automatically connects me to the two channels as "T4b". As the T4b is supplied in the iframe URL it should be trivial to enter the user name of a logged in user.

Freenode webchat also has this enabled: <iframe src="http://webchat.freenode.net?randomnick=1&channels=%23openpandora%2C%23dragonbox-pyra&prompt=1&uio=d4" width="647" height="400"></iframe>

This is an example on freenode, this also connects to the two channels by default, but it doesn't skip the login dialog and instead allows the user to customize the random user name which is filled in by default.

There are also some other options.

So I don't know how good this would look, but I think ED should be able to just install a qwebirc instance on his server (Python dependence) and then embed it with this code. I can't imagine this being complicated. In principle he could even embed the one from freenode, I haven't seen any restrictions about embedding those widgets while going through their set up wizard.

When you log into the Ouya forum, you see the Chatbox immediately, its updated automatically, it doesn't require you to go to another section and then click a link, it doesn't require you to login to the chatbox software or use another alias, it uses your forum login and you are already logged in.  As soon as you login to Ouyaforum, you see the chat immediately and you can start participating immediately.

As I mentioned before, where and how the chat box is implemented, is critical.  It may sound subtle, but it makes all the difference in the world.  They actually tried it in a few different places/implementatgions on the Ouya forum, it didn't really take off until it's current location/implementation.

Now it's used massively.   It allows for a more free flowing general discussion. One of the things I noticed, is that it brought the community members closer. you feel as though you know people better after having more general communicated with them via the chatbox.  Shortly after it was implemented , spats on the site dropped drastically. 

15109561591_ea1a5b2bbf_b.jpg

Being fancy is not the issue that has to be solved.

Having your forum handle on the IRC hasnt been major problem in the past, nor has fakenicking.

The webirc works wonders, and its easy enough to configure to allow users to pick their own nick if the generic one isnt ok for them.

The generic nick is good, (or client connection message) because it means any answer is good enough, as they will probably leave within 2 minutes of entering if nobody replies.  This often happens as i am writing the reply.

All the feels.

It's not about making it more fancy, its about making it more visible, accessible and connected with the forum.   There is nothing fancy about that

Back