For Anyone Who Cares...

Last edited by a moderator:
I tested some games but this happens. Anybody else that have the same problem?
45ih.png

Yup, Front Mission had missing layers or something.

That, though, is the prototype of Luigi's Mansion. :)

Yep sprites disappear on the lower portion of the screen

awesome squidge definetly shaping up to be the next DrMD (if only drmd had scaling and skinable interface =()

Why would DrMD need scaling? Aren't the vast majority of MD games rendered at a native resolution of 320x240 (the GP2x screen size)?

well i dont know is scaling was the correct term to use, but all of my games dont fill the full screen and i want them too, theres a huge chunky black border around em'

also, i just finished my squidge snes skin to go along with my Aurora GPH linux skin, get it on my site from my sig under "my stuff"

cant take any pictures as fbGrabber doesnt work because SSNES accesses hardware directly or summin or nuffin

Any chance with ISS Deluxe? It stucks on the Konami screen in the intro.. Anyway many thanx to the creator of this great emu :)

awesome squidge definetly shaping up to be the next DrMD (if only drmd had scaling and skinable interface =()

Why would DrMD need scaling? Aren't the vast majority of MD games rendered at a native resolution of 320x240 (the GP2x screen size)?

well i dont know is scaling was the correct term to use, but all of my games dont fill the full screen and i want them too, theres a huge chunky black border around em'
This is game dependant. For example, "tiny toon adventure" has large borders (not ncecessarily black), also visible on tv with the original game !
btw, most of the roms i am playing with are plain full screen, they just fit perfectly. How large exactly are these black borders on your unit ? Are these borders on all sides or only up and down, Maybe you should show us a screenshot so we could compare with our versions

This is game dependant. For example, "tiny toon adventure" has large borders (not ncecessarily black), also visible on tv with the original game !
btw, most of the roms i am playing with are plain full screen, they just fit perfectly. How large exactly are these black borders on your unit ? Are these borders on all sides or only up and down, Maybe you should show us a screenshot so we could compare with our versions

Shining Force 2 has HUGE border around it and the characters look really skinny :rolleyes:

yep i was playing shining force 2 today and its really hard to focus on small things because they seem so squashed..ill try get some screengrabs

Shining Force 2 has HUGE border around it and the characters look really skinny :rolleyes:
Just tried, I also have borders : large left and right borders, and small up and down borders. So, game screen is practically a square !
BUT I'm pretty convinced that with the original game played on tv game screen would have the same ratio ! I don't own the original game so I cannot verify ...
With other games, I've got absolutely no left and right borders (eg sonic 2). However, as far as i know they all have small up and down borders (game screen aspect ratio is not exactly 2/3)

EDIT : in fact this quite obvious, genesis resolution is 320x220, gp2x screen is 320x240, so there is 10 black lines up and 10 black lines down ... I don't think that we need scaling for 20 lines :D

Shining Force 2 has HUGE border around it and the characters look really skinny  :rolleyes:
Just tried, I also have borders : large left and right borders, and small up and down borders. So, game screen is practically a square !
BUT I'm pretty convinced that with the original game played on tv game screen would have the same ratio ! I don't own the original game so I cannot verify ...
With other games, I've got absolutely no left and right borders (eg sonic 2). However, as far as i know they all have small up and down borders (game screen aspect ratio is not exactly 2/3)

EDIT : in fact this quite obvious, genesis resolution is 320x220, gp2x screen is 320x240, so there is 10 black lines up and 10 black lines down ... I don't think that we need scaling for 20 lines :D

Nope, I have the game on my xbox and its full screen. My Tv is has the same aspect [4:3] screen as the gp2x.

Its looks prefect on the xbox.. plus i rented the game for my genesis a long time ago, and im pretty sure it was fulled.

any game ive ever played on the megadrive (console) was full screen on the TV.

i want the same on my handheld, it doesnt have to be a hard coded thing, all i want is the option.

any game ive ever played on the megadrive (console) was full screen on the TV.

i want the same on my handheld, it doesnt have to be a hard coded thing, all i want is the option.

Yeah that would be cool to have, but if its too much trouble I dont mind playing shining force 2 with a malnurished main character :D

anyway..so if your listening squidge, obviously not a main priority but keep in mind an option to stretch or scale the games to fit full screen?

this emu is lookin great so far, especially because snes is my favorite system. i really would like to see all the great features of drmd in this :D

great job so far

EDIT: anyone no if super metroid works in this emu, it wont for me and i think i may have a bad rom

Ando, Metroid will only work once sound is emulated.

And i agree with paradox about full screen. In some instances, the decreased sharpness is a fair exchange for full screen. Even line doubling to achieve full screen is not bad depending on the game.

In any case, excellent work squidge.

Full screens silly in my opinion, they *always* look better without it. However, one thing that annoys me about Squids is that its not centred :p I know its a small thing, but moving it a few pixels to the right would make it perfect in my opinion.

Scaling should probably be the very last thing becuase its by far the least important.

I think we should just let him get on with it and add stuff as they come. Hes doing an amazing job as it is, let him continue with nothing but gentle praise ;)

thanks for the reply grahf, but why? it seems quite odd that it would need sound in order to play :huh:

Ando, a bunch of games will hang at bootup, or shortly after. Its due to the way they are trying to access the "missing" sound hardware. Its been years since i messed with SNES stuff, so i dont remember the exacts. Its DMA related though.

For a bit of useless info, the sound board inside a SNES is actually made by sony. Its a seperate module that you can unplug. I suspect it was made this way in case Nintendo needed to change suppliers at any point.

thanks for the info,
but i knew the useless part ;) ive modded a couple snes mobos, more usless info, the playstation was originally planned to be an add on to the snes. thats why the version ones have a port on the bottom.

is there any chance he will make it able to play games with the super fx chip?

NKs emu supports superfx, but it takes a ton of processing power to emulate and it shows. So of course its support the super fx chip since the information is well documented, and code is out there. The question is whether or not SFX enabled games will reach playable speeds.. I would say no, not likely in the near future if ever.

Back