Folding@home

Azure said:
As a Cal student I feel it my duty to mention that there's also SETI@home, which is way cooler than Folding@home :p

But unlike SETI, folding actually does something important :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter R said:
When they are done curing cancer then people can switch to Seti@home ;)
But what do we do once all the aliens have been discovered? :huh:

Peter R said:
Unfortunately it's not gona happen in the nearest future. Though participating in folding initiatives like folding home can get us closer to that happy day when cancer is defeated and cured as common cold. Another variant is to find aliens and ask them how we could cure cancer :) .
So both Folding@home and Seti@home can solve the problem but I bet folding will do it quicker. It's a pity we won't have a port of Folding@home for Panda.

_VWV_ said:
Peter R said:
Unfortunately it's not gona happen in the nearest future. Though participating in folding initiatives like folding home can get us closer to that happy day when cancer is defeated and cured as common cold. Another variant is to find aliens and ask them how we could cure cancer :) .
So both Folding@home and Seti@home can solve the problem but I bet folding will do it quicker. It's a pity we won't have a port of Folding@home for Panda.

What if the aliens decide to blow you up?

Peter R said:
That also means there'll be no more cancer, because there'll be no-one left alive to get it. So it's a win win situation really. ;)

Lurkio said:
That also means there'll be no more cancer, because there'll be no-one left alive to get it. So it's a win win situation really. ;)
Not exactly so. If we're destroyed cancer would still exist because aliens should suffer from it too. They may have anti-cancer pills or something but still cancer would exist like common cold does. What it does mean is I don't care whether cancer will exist after humanity is destroyed.
Peter R said:
Yes, another point for Folding@home. We should try to solve the problem ourselves. :)

_VWV_ said:
Not exactly so. If we're destroyed cancer would still exist because aliens should suffer from it too.
I should have put that I meant human cancer would no longer exist in my earlier post, that's what I get for rushing. :)

_VWV_ said:

Yes, another point for Folding@home. We should try to solve the problem ourselves. :)

Yeah but, aliens are cooler than cancer B)

EDIT:BBcode

PlopperZ said:
Yeah but, aliens are cooler than cancer B)

EDIT:BBcode
How do you know that? I don't think so. Cancer is the strongest bustard out there, capable of much more than AIDS or ebola virus or whatever. AIDS is an exact enemy with known basic features. Yes mutagenesis is always present and new strains appear but still AIDS is AIDS with same symptoms and same molecular targets. We know the enemy and thus will soon evaluate something to destroy it. But cancer is different. Almost each case differs from previous. Because each cell line differs from another, because molecular basis for cancerogenic changes in each cell line may differ. Because many things can go wrong inside cell to activate out-of-control cell divisions. And because of that curing strategy should differ from case to case.
Cancer is cool because it's diverse. Aliens will most probably be of one species. Though it's interesting to investigate life on other planet, I think they'll certainly blow us up if we try to investigate them :). That is why cancer is way more cooler.
edit: typo

While still arguably on topic for the thread title, this thread has drifted far from having any relation to the Pandora. If you want to continue to debate the merits of protein folding vs alien contact, please take it to the OT forum. :)

Ok, back on topic and I have created a team named "OpenPandora". To contribute to the team just follow the FaH instructions which are:QUOTE
Any client program can contribute to the statistics for this team by putting the number 142927 in the team field in the client

Peter R said:
Ok, back on topic and I have created a team named "OpenPandora". To contribute to the team just follow the FaH instructions which are:QUOTE
Any client program can contribute to the statistics for this team by putting the number 142927 in the team field in the client
:D lol, I thought you were the one knocking creating a team! anyway, doesn't matter kudos for setting it up, I'll join the team

I wasn't knocking FaH, as even if people do it for competitive reasons they are still advancing medical science. However, I do think people doing it for competition are a bit strange :p

Peter R said:
I wasn't knocking FaH, as even if people do it for competitive reasons they are still advancing medical science. However, I do think people doing it for competition are a bit strange :p
well so far I have only completed 3 units, so I consider myself firmly out of the strange bracket, at least in the sense of competitive folding :)

Back