Folding@home

sparkymark

Website
Visit site
Hi there

I was just wondering, has anyone setup a pandora folding@home team, just an idea.

I'm not suggesting for the actual pandora, just using desktops/ps3's etc.

be intruiged to see how many people we could get in a team

When I ran folding@home it was to attempt to help scientific research. I don't see what this whole obsession people have with making teams and getting virtual credits is. It's like that Southpark episode with the "theoretical dollars" all over again...

it's human nature, we will always try to be better at what we do then someone else, you can't really fight it. The only useful thing you can do then is use that for something good, like the folding@home project

Beeing the better team isn't the best reason why you should run folding@home, but atleast it's helping others out.

Peter R said:
I don't see what this whole obsession people have with making teams and getting virtual credits is.
People are naturally competitive + it seems to be a modern day version of my dad's bigger than your dad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, people who worry about the size of their member can buy a sports car ATI video card or join a big folding@home team and rank up.

Who cares about the motive; the competition means that folding gets done at a faster rate than before.

Peter R said:
When I ran folding@home it was to attempt to help scientific research. I don't see what this whole obsession people have with making teams and getting virtual credits is. It's like that Southpark episode with the "theoretical dollars" all over again...

Thats a fair point, but I don't think entirely correct. Running folding@home on your own is all good, and something I do anyway, but joining a team gives you something to work towards, talk about. If you run a race for charity, it's fine doing it on your own, but it's certainly more fun doing it with friends [or people of similar interests in this case]

I'm lurking on this board all the time as I'm sure many are, working together on something just gives us something else to talk about whilst we're killing time waiting for the first batch to be sent out. Anyway, I'm not bothered, it was just a thought.

icurafu said:
Hey, people who worry about the size of their member can buy a sports car ATI video card or join a big folding@home team and rank up.

Who cares about the motive; the competition means that folding gets done at a faster rate than before.
My member is huge enough that it can out fold even the biggest ATI card :p :lol:

Peter R said:
PSyMastR said:
Um nVidia also has a folding@home team.
I only have a 7 series card so I can't run the GPU core :(

:(

The 8 series and up also with the latest drivers run PhysX stuff on the gpu without that stupid Ageia chip now that nvidia bought them out.

atomicthumbs said:
Well, I've got an ATI video card so I'd beat all of you. :p
well i have a genesis with BLAST processing.
beat that, its what makes sonic so fast!

waffles said:
atomicthumbs said:
Well, I've got an ATI video card so I'd beat all of you. :p
well i have a genesis with BLAST processing.
beat that, its what makes sonic so fast!

:D :lol: :lol: Oh blast processing.

Back