Folding@home

Peter R said:
It takes this machine weeks to manage a unit :S
Not that I do it competitively, however, I do have two machines dedicated to F@H and give as much as possible when I'm not programming on my other machines. It takes my best machine an hour to do 1% of a unit (on average).

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter R said:
The current WU is taking 16 minutes per percent. To run this PC 24 hours a day doing this would require.... £140....thats a lot.
The three I've done come from the PS3, I've just installed it today on the desktop. Some of the units are bigger than others though, I saw one at 16hours, and the other two have been about 6-8hours. Still, shows how quick the cell processor is though, plus you get to look at a nice picture of the earth whilst it does it :)

In fairness though, I think the desktop clients run way slower than they could do to stop them interfering withother programs.

I downloaded the linux version, which is also an .exe for some reason, and am now running it. It says that this one will be done on the 30th of september...

Kyosys said:
I downloaded the linux version, which is also an .exe for some reason, and am now running it. It says that this one will be done on the 30th of september...
The windows version no longer gives you information such as how long it's going to take :S

well the linux version just started running in the background, but there's this userinfo text file

Back