Too Late For Transparent Cases?

Matthias_H

Hi,

I remember some folks suggesting the idea of a transparent case, just like the prototype they used for considerations of mechanical stress... I spent some time searching through the archive, but could not find an answer. So I was wondering: could it still be possible to make part of the cases in a different color? I for one would dig something completely transparent.

Matthias

I think that sort of thing would be miles off development. its taken so long for just the black cases and molds to be made.
sure if another colour was desired by the customers transparent and white might enter into the scene, but for now i think the main focus is for the pandora to become a real product.

When i ordered i asked for more colours and they told me that Pandora was only going to be aviable in black.

The Pandora must have the same collor like our souls!!!, black!!!! :wub:

meybe in the next batches, there should be only diverent collered plastik granulat,
transparent should be a bit divicult.. B)

Trevsweb said:
I think that sort of thing would be miles off development. its taken so long for just the black cases and molds to be made.
sure if another colour was desired by the customers transparent and white might enter into the scene, but for now i think the main focus is for the pandora to become a real product.

As far as I know, no black cases have been made, and molds can be used for any color. It should not be too difficult nor expensive to just use differently colored plastic for, say, 5,000 out of 10,000 cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd ask them for one of the prototype cases if you're happy with using one that may not be entirely perfect... (not sure how much tweaking they went through).

The screens are matte, you can buy the screen's used in the pandora now :)

its the same as the smartq 5

The recent comments on the mould making indicates matte.
And if anyone wants a transparent case, they will have to mold their own, which won't be too difficult once the real cases are available.
You just have to disassemble your Pandora and use the case as a positive master.
Linky:
silicone mold making

As it is, they had to order 10'000 black cases as a minimum, even though they're only producing 4000 Pandoras.
It is a pain to change colours in the middle of the process. What that means, is the minimum order of 10'000 is also the minimum order of colour. If they wanted a different colour, they'd need to order 10'000 of them, too. That's why black: no one can really complain about it, it's universal for tech. If orders suddenly explode and the demand is there, they may produce 10'000 in a different colour, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

WizardStan said:
As it is, they had to order 10'000 black cases as a minimum, even though they're only producing 4000 Pandoras.
It is a pain to change colours in the middle of the process. What that means, is the minimum order of 10'000 is also the minimum order of colour. If they wanted a different colour, they'd need to order 10'000 of them, too. That's why black: no one can really complain about it, it's universal for tech. If orders suddenly explode and the demand is there, they may produce 10'000 in a different colour, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
That's very helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true, it would mean another 10k, unless we paid a very high price for a lower run (if they would even do it).

I had thought of do a mold for the pandora as well to make a clear case, but I dont see the point anymore. There is not much to see with the board covered by the battery and the keymat. There is going to be a lot of light coming from the LCD's backlight. The information LEDs will shine through all of the case and may be bright enough to effect game play. And finally, a specific 'con' of the silicon mold method is mold shrinkage. Its usually less then 1% but with tolerances so low it may not all fit together after parts are cast.

Back