Firmware Upgrade Compatible Cards And Faq

AcidiC posted on Feb 26 2006 at 09:43 AM said:
nickspoon posted on Feb 26 2006 at 12:56 AM said:
Mine works with 1.4.0.
Your toshiba? Mine gets crazy coloured screens whenever i run a program :(

It seems that those cards have strange behavior.
I got a viking 512 (wich is meant to be a toshiba right ?!)
And it's working for flashing (1.2.1 to 1.4.0 to Cramfs 0.0.4 and back to 1.4.0)
I used my onboard Sdcard reader to put firmware update on it while other files still in.
I made my upgrades with my gp2X powered by AC adaptator.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, i tried mine with files still on card (img on root) aswell as reformatting card (and y6es, it is FAT32 before anyone asks) and with a full charged set of 2300 ni-mh's ...... and still no luck with my viking 512 SD.. but i do apear to have updated the software, just not the kernal... will this cause me any probs in future?

neosalad

has anyone tried the Bytesor SD cards yet, cant see them on the list. they seem a reasoable price from amazon.
dont want to buy another SD card unless i know it will work pretty much 100% for a firmware upgrade this time.

thanks

neosalad

Just wanted to let yall know that the SanDisk 1GB Ultra II Plus card worked upgrading the firmware for me :D

Just Upgraded firmware from 1.2.1 to 1.4.0.No problem using Dane-Lec 512Mb card.
Using a Mains adaptor from Argos
Think the main problem with upgrading firmware is that you should use an adaptor as mentioned elsewhere rechargables can only provide 2.4v this may not be enough voltage to flash the firmware ROM. :)

Well, anyone else completely dependant on robster's flashers?
NO card works on my GP2X, and robster's flash tester reveals a bad block in the NAND (16).
So, in a lot of cases, the issue is not with the SD. Some of us have bad NAND...
Can that be fixed?
It seems like I'd need a serial cable to explore that properly...

After formatting my SD card to FAT32 my Kingston 512 MB worked fine for firmware upgrading )I went from 1.2.1 to 1.4.0 to 1.4.0 with cramfs with no worries)

I've posted this question in the FAQ forum about a month ago, and no one's answered, so I'll re-ask it here:

I'm currently running firmware 1.1.0. Is it safe to go directly from 1.1.0 to 1.4.0?

As in, do I need to run the patch files for all of the previous firmwares, or do I just need to run 1.4.0's?

Drag posted on Mar 26 2006 at 12:15 AM said:
I've posted this question in the FAQ forum about a month ago, and no one's answered, so I'll re-ask it here:

I'm currently running firmware 1.1.0. Is it safe to go directly from 1.1.0 to 1.4.0?

As in, do I need to run the patch files for all of the previous firmwares, or do I just need to run 1.4.0's?

You can just update to 1.4 ... everything's included. You can also 'downgrade' to any version you'd like ... I must have up/downgraded at least 10 or so times, no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes have a Sandisk 2Gb works ok with V1.4 formatted Fat32.
Have'nt tried firmware updating with it tho'.

I used a Integral 1Gig Card, used a card reader to format it to FAT32 ( it was just FAT by default), copied the files to the root, booted, ran the util and it all worked fine, no problems at all.

*EDIT* And the new LCD timing adjuster (althought the screen bugs when adjusting the slider) is fantastic, no more flickery scanlining! :D

The normal Sandisk 2gb doesn't work for updating the firmware, at least my gp2x does not update with it.
Although I read somewhere, it would qualify for this, but i guess they meant the Ultra II.

The same goes for Extrememory 1gb and Ultron 256 mb. None of these updates for me.

Besides that, no problems with any of those cards.

well ive gotten my gp2x and i have a regular sandisk 2 gb sd card. i have formated the sd card to fat32 (it was fat when i got it). and i can confirm that this card is working for firmware upgrades as wel as general usuage cause i just upgraded it to firmware 1.4. My usb connection did die doh :/

Back