Firmware Upgrade Compatible Cards And Faq

A DATA 1 gig SD card updates and works fine.

IMPORTANT... when updating only put the firmware upgrade files on the card nothing else. Or else it may not work right.

Does that list also include the lexar 64mb MMC card? It seems to detect it and read the pictures fine...

ARRRRR!!! What am I doing wrong!

3 Cards that Just won't work:

Canon MMC-16M:
This is a 16mb MMC card that is recognized by the GP2X about 50% of the time it's inserted. Often when booting with this card insert the GP2X will get stuck on the green loading screen.

A-Data My Flash Turbo SD 2GB:
This is a 2gb 150x SD card. No amount of formating seems to get the GP2X to recognize this card.

256 MB DANE-ELEC:
This is a 256mb SD card. It is recognized by the GP2X 100% of the time. I can play files off this card just fine, however if attempting to flash the firmware with it the GP2X boots and inspecting the card shows that the .img files have been deleted but the update has not been applied.

Formating Methods:
(The 16mb card could not be formated using fat32)

Linux using fdisk to create a single primary partition the size of the entire card, which is then it's type is changed to '0B' (Win95 fat32). The card is then formated using 'mkfs.msdos -F32 /dev/sde1'

Canon Power A510 Camera using in camera format utility. This appears to format the card using regular 'fat'.

Windows XP device right clicked on format selected type set to fat32.

So I repeat -- what am I doing wrong....

anything lower than 128mb shouldn't work at all on the gp2x. AND anything over 1 gig is not supported yet.

Got the 256 MB DANE-ELEC to update the firmware -
I had swapped between formating the card in linux in winxp atleast 20 times, but this is what I think finnally did it:

cfdisk to setup the partition
mkfs.msdos -F32 /dev/sde1 to format
Put the .img file on the card using a card reader
booted the gp2x
inserted card and verified img file is visible
Turned the GP2X off then ***QUICKLY*** back on

Last edited by a moderator:
I can now verify that Transcend 1GB SD cards work for updating. I formatted it with my Verbatim card reader under Windows XP and then flashed succesfully to version 1.01.

Hi,
Iam also used a Transcend 1GB SD Card for updating my GP2X
to V 1.0.1.
Its a 80x speed card and the PartNumber is TS1GSD80

SD80X-1GB.jpg

I formated the card with Win2K and a external Card-Reader to FAT32.

Did work fine :))

Bye
Guido.

I can now verify that Transcend 1GB SD cards work for updating. I formatted it with my Verbatim card reader under Windows XP and then flashed succesfully to version 1.01.

Hi,
Iam also used a Transcend 1GB SD Card for updating my GP2X
to V 1.0.1.
Its a 80x speed card and the PartNumber is TS1GSD80

SD80X-1GB.jpg

I formated the card with Win2K and a external Card-Reader to FAT32.

Did work fine :))

Bye
Guido.

I was just going to post the same message! Make sure you format it to FAT32. Mine didn't work initially because it was FAT and not FAT32.

In linux I create partition after partition disklabel msdos, but the GP2X will not read anthing unless the card has no partitions. I have a variety of different SD cards none of which work

You have to create a SINGLE primary partition that is the size of the entire card.

You have to create a SINGLE primary partition that is the size of the entire card.

They are :) done it in fdisk, cfdisk, gparted

Disk /dev/sdc: 507 MB, 507200512 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 61 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 1 61 489951 b W95 FAT32

Code:
mkfs.msdos -F32 /dev/sdc1
mount -t vfat -o sync /dev/sdc1 /mnt
cd /mnt
cp -p ~/GP2X/*.img .
ls[QUOTE]gp2xboot.img  gp2xkernel.img[/QUOTE]
cd ~
umount /mnt

To get it to read anything I need to format the SD without partitions and using -I

anything lower than 128mb shouldn't work at all on the gp2x. AND anything over 1 gig is not supported yet.

64MB cards are supported as thats the only card I had that would let me upgrade. I think the importance is that it can be formatted in FAT32, 32MB cards for example from my knowledge can only be formatted in FAT.

that's what "windows xp help and support" has to say:

FAT:
Volumes from floppy disk size up to 4 gigabytes (GB).
Does not support domains.
Maximum file size is 2 GB.

FAT32:
Volumes from 512 MB to 2 TB.
In Windows XP, you can format a FAT32 volume up to 32 GB only.
Does not support domains.
Maximum file size is 4 GB.

and yes, small cards work fine too. i used a 8MB one before getting my 1GB card.

I *think* and this may just be Superstition - but after formating the card the kernel image should be the first file copied to it, or the gp2x will just delete the .img without upgrading

I tried with an Integral 1GB card for a while, but it didn't work.

Then I copied all the contents of the card to a temporary folder on my computer, formatted the card as FAT32, then added the contents of the update to the card - and nothing more.

Worked immediately. B)

I received mine today. Well, the only SD i have is a SD branded "captive" (well, it is a no-name ^^ ). The GP2X recognize it, i played some games and then i though, maybe i can try to flash the firmware, and.., it worked !!!.
Haha, i cant believe it, i managed to flash my unit with the cheapest SD i found...

Can someone tell me why i can not play divx now ? sound but no video..... :angry:

Forget what i said, but i have hawful vertical lines now

I received mine today. Well, the only SD i have is a SD branded "captive" (well, it is a no-name ^^ ). The GP2X recognize it, i played some games and then i though, maybe i can try to flash the firmware, and.., it worked !!!.
Haha, i cant believe it, i managed to flash my unit with the cheapest SD i found...

Can someone tell me why i can not play divx now ? sound but no video..... :angry:

Forget what i said, but i have hawful vertical lines now

I have vertical lines and also thin horizontal lines that look like robocops visor. Next firmware update hopefully... At least its not anything hardware related.

haven't read the entire topic but i thought this would be very interesting... some official info about the firmware... and how to make a uppgrade!!!

here is the link: Official info about Firmware

Uppgrade guide.
1. Unzip all the compressed files and put in root directory of SD card.
2. Insert SD card into GP2X and turn off and then turn on.
3. The image 'Fimrware Upgrading' shows and then rebooting starts.
Make sure the prior image of 'loading' is changed into 'Firmware Version 1.0.1'
4. After booting, execute Utility in MENU. And then go to root directory of SD card, execute patch20051128.gpu.
5. For a few seconds, the screen turns black and then turn into normal screen.
6. Execute Info in Setting MENU, and then make sure of version 1.0.1.

Followed the above with a 64Mb Kodak and it worked - had tried other methods which failed.

Back