Firmeware 2.1.0 Ready!

pepone posted on Oct 24 2006 at 01:57 PM said:
did anyone else found sd access speed better than before with this firmware?
Big neogeo games feel better, less choppy. Ie, the first second of a round in garou is more fluid, same as Blazingstar intro.
I did a quick test with hdparm (http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1303), and it showed some noticeable improvement in buffered reads.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
pepone posted on Oct 24 2006 at 01:57 PM said:
Big neogeo games feel better, less choppy. Ie, the first second of a round in garou is more fluid, same as Blazingstar intro.
I did a quick test with hdparm (http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1303), and it showed some noticeable improvement in buffered reads.
Ya, I noticed much faster load times in neogeo stuff.

I don't understand why they don't mention important things in the changelog. Yet they paid attention not to forget to mention their a\/\/3s0m3 1337 useless transition effects...

pepone posted on Oct 25 2006 at 03:57 AM said:
... and it showed some noticeable improvement in buffered reads.
Okay, well that convinced me to upgrade. No regrets here! Did it using batteries too - which I suspect most people will do. The patching process was way faster than the 1.4 -> 2.0 patch, that's for sure.

(Okay, I admit, I actually upgraded for the transition FX, but don't tell anyone)

EDIT: I also noticed that the viewing angle is somewhat better (see the other thread about "better viewing with upside screen") - could it be running at a different gamma setting?

Did you noticed battery life improvment? I played a lot of stuffs like Payback@266Mhz, Picodrive with 2nd core, and it seemed like my last battery set lasted longer :unsure:

The only reason not to upgrade to 2.1.0 is if you really like DrMD over PicoDrive.

On a related note, since DrMD for GP2X is abandoned is there any interest (or talent? :p ) to make it work on the new firmware?

reiboul posted on Oct 25 2006 at 11:27 AM said:
Did you noticed battery life improvment? I played a lot of stuffs like Payback@266Mhz, Picodrive with 2nd core, and it seemed like my last battery set lasted longer :unsure:
Some people have noticed an 10 minutes longer with 2700 mAh and this firmware but I cannot say that comes from this firmware

Yod4z posted on Oct 25 2006 at 05:46 PM said:
reiboul posted on Oct 25 2006 at 11:27 AM said:
Some people have noticed an 10 minutes longer with 2700 mAh and this firmware but I cannot say that comes from this firmware

10mn? I think it was more, else I wouldn't have noticed... but maybe it's just an impression?

Hi, almost totally random/not related to last few posts, thought i'd mention in case it hasn't been. The movie player seems to have a problem with certain movies (maybe all only tested as yet with one sample). It didn't 'like' LoTR The Fellowship of the Ring @444kbps Xvid and 128kbps Mp3 stereo, 640mb approx . It's over two hours long. The audio was played back extremely slowly (and the running time was reported wrong, I think). Played fine on PC.

My Solution; I cut it into two smaller chunks, audio was fine then.

Not sure if this was an issue on FW2.0, I was more concerned about bit rate and quality, and so only used small sample clips. Also it doesn't play back at the extreme power saving setting (100mhz isn't it?), presumably at a higher bitrate it might?

Edit, Some time much later... I discover I'm yet another victim of the Gp2x pretending to update. Don't know what causes the issue. Anyway above may be completely irrelevant.

rooster posted on Oct 22 2006 at 12:58 AM said:
The highlight of this release is definitely movie player stability.

I tried to watch this horizon documentary (1hr long) xvid avi with vbr mp3 audio, downloaded from emule the other day and it was stopping every 5 or 10 minutes with firmware v2.0 - nasty.
Now with v2.1 firmware it plays the same movie faultlessly. A real achievement I think.

But the mp3 player imo has a nasty new crap 'feature':
I like to play long mp3s sometimes, audio books etc. What a joke on the new firmware.
Good luck fast forwarding to say 30 mins into the track; Takes you about 5 minutes while you sit and wait for it to make tiny steps forward of about 5 seconds. Very annoying.
craigix posted on Oct 20 2006 at 06:48 PM said:
You know I offered them CraigAmp to replace the mp3 player they have and they refused saying their player was much better.
Disappointed with the new gp2x mp3 player I tried yours Craig and unfortunately it crashed for me trying to play a 40mb+ mp3 audiobook :eek:
I realised that your player (I think) is constrained a bit by SDL standard functions, ie no fast forward/rewind mid mp3 and using SDL_LoadWAV to cache a tune instead of streaming hence why big mp3s will crash it !?
Good effort though. I guess it will be pretty tough to add mid-song fast-forward/rewind or add streaming with the standard SDL mixer functions.. hope you figure out a workaround :)

Whoa! You're saying not only does the music player not have bookmarks, but now it takes forever to fast forward through an mp3/ogg? I listen to podcasts which are usually an hour in length, so I fast-forward through parts I've heard a lot! I couldn't deal with waiting 5 sec for each little skip. I requested a bookmark feature for the music player on the official gp2x dev forums before this firmware release. Maybe I'll have to try and make a little noise there again about this new negative 'feature' and the lack of bookmarks. I don't see how either of these request would interfere with you people out there listening to 3 minute songs.

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I won't be upgrading to 2.1.0 now... :(

sam fisher posted on Oct 25 2006 at 06:55 PM said:
Someone needs to get DrMD to work on 2.1.0. I want better movies and SD access dammit!
Unfortuantely DrMD has some more bugs, after fixing MMU thing it now crashes somewhere in it's asm code. Is there much demand for this to be fixed?

I second better SNES. Pico is better than DrMD, not that DrMD is bad. I prefer SNES over megadrive anyways. I just hope someone gets a good PC Engine working sometime.

-Kensupen

notaz posted on Oct 26 2006 at 03:59 AM said:
Someone needs to get DrMD to work on 2.1.0. I want better movies and SD access dammit!
Unfortuantely DrMD has some more bugs, after fixing MMU thing it now crashes somewhere in it's asm code. Is there much demand for this to be fixed?

I'd love to see DrMD fixed. I prefer its menu system over PicoDrive's.

notaz posted on Oct 26 2006 at 08:59 AM said:
I know that Picodrive is better for MD, but I use DrMD for GameGear and Master System aswell so it would be really great if you could fix it :D

Back