Finding a proper name and logo :)

That would look really nice silk screened on the top of a case as a small detail.

When you're cutting letters into stone slabs with a hammer and chisel, or drawing them in a clay tablet with a stick or nail, you probably want to use a simple sans serif font, regardless of the alphabet :)
I thought of this, and I think of something worth the effort to actually chisel it into stone, with the time for reflection that naturally gives, tells me there is something worthwile there. As opposed to a lot of the things we do that look like it was computer 20s. I think looking back several thousands of years at something that still looks amazing is a practice in understanding what works.

One does not have to imitate it directly, but there is a huge deal to learn from it in that one can borrow many of the elements that make it work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any proof, but I've always suspected that serifs came from stonemasons looking for a clean way to end a line definitively.

Not sure what this has to do with the topic in question, but never mind.

Keep in mind that people worry about using it for the work place base on its look. I guess other words, keep it simple.

People have serious workplaces filled with serious people only allowing serious-looking devices that are used in a serious manner. This is serious.

I'm seriously serious.

Wow, this thread has gone 77 pages deep, I thought I'd throw a few logo idea I made pretty quickly just for fun.

bZtCOMB.png

Wow, this thread has gone 77 pages deep, I thought I'd throw a few logo idea I made pretty quickly just for fun.

bZtCOMB.png

Now do the simplified black / white version.

It may be pretty when you've got a full colour palate at your disposal, but that doesn't work for most of the places logo's are used..

bZtCOMB.png

Now do the simplified black / white version.

It may be pretty when you've got a full colour palate at your disposal, but that doesn't work for most of the places logo's are used..
Yeah... didn't have that in mind when I made them. I will try to make them in that way later when I have time.

I know this has come up a lot, about a logo having to work in a mono colour...

But is this really so valid nowadays, in the digital age?

What use cases are you thinking about where it has to be a single black/white colour?

Just plucking a random logo, Google, I see it always in colour ... Online, in print...

Even a logo on a device itself could be colour.

Is this really an issue?

I know this has come up a lot, about a logo having to work in a mono colour...

But is this really so valid nowadays, in the digital age?

What use cases are you thinking about where it has to be a single black/white colour?

Just plucking a random logo, Google, I see it always in colour ... Online, in print...

Even a logo on a device itself could be colour.

Is this really an issue?
If you want to put it on the lid with a led backlight, yes, it pretty much has work in monochrome.

If it works in monochrome it is also much easier to integrate it in a subtle way in many color contexts; if it has colors, you can probably make it work nicely on a black background and on a white background, but on a colored background it will look fugly for lots of background colors.

Yes the LED thing I had forgot actually, though glad as I like that idea and sure whichever logo ends up on the lid will look good glowing fiery red :)

Good point on the background colour, I guess that is true with black/white being able to work on pretty much any other background colour.

Taking Google logo example again, when that's used on predominantly black background it's usually set within a white wrap container, so that's one way to maintain your colour I guess. But yes, that makes sense as to why a mono logo would be preferable

I know the shortlist has been filtered down to a final 4... and seemingly a final 2 to battle it out.

Still, I was bored watching something install at work so jumped into photoshop for five :)

Just playing around with something simple and mono, and came up with this style;

hvtpao.png

from this progression

2dkcphy.png

I liked the middle one on the right, that A is nice.

Whats on the lid has to be mono, i suppose it can be a rgb led, at most pwm controllable.

Colour has a way of its own to do things to different design languages, its one of the most important things to grab attention (in a logo).

The lid is black on white and works on its own so to speak, no competition, just a nice uniform black canvas.

Which is why i think a lid design and a logo can be two different things.

Rather, the emblem and the logo can be two different things, or the logo, the emblem and the insignia.

The ZX spectrum i remember not because the logo was awesome, but it was. It was that little rainbow thing on the corner that made all the difference.

The screen is where the focal point should be, so lets throw some colour at the bootsplash. And perhaps a nice boot sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I know the options are down to the final 2, with tweaks on them both being considered.

But this just popped into my head whilst I was walking around town this afternoon ... I guess in the back of my mind this bloody logo is constantly claiming RAM eh :)

Just came to mind so I wanted to put the idea pen to paper as it were, and thought I'd share it anyway, regardless of the fact the shortlist is done, which is why I've dropped it into this older thread anyway, so as not to bloat the 'final poll' or 'tweaks' threads with yet more 'new' ideas.

The concept may have even been mentioned, waaaaay back early on, not sure, it's a pretty simple idea.

Have the flame as the cut out of the letter [P], with a fairly simple font, something like;

nej4nk.png

Which when embossed onto the lid and lit with LED, would look something like this anim;

103bxfq.gif

Back