Features poll (non-practical wishlist)

Granitehead

Advanced Member
Hey, I made a poll (too long for the forum itself) about what features of a hypothetical omnipotent Pandora you would actually use a lot.

That is, without considering cost, whether it's possible or not, etc. Just leaving all the boring stuff out, if you had a Pandora which can already do that, would you use it?

Go to the poll.

If you think a feature is missing just add it to the poll here: Edit Poll.

(also feel free to extend the fairy part of the poll :) )

Edit: Someone is abusing the possibility to freely edit the poll. :-(

Edit: Don't mess it up! I just had to fix the poll again. Don't edit if you don't know how.

Edit: I guess my poll was too sophisticated for you. :p I removed all the fun parts...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I edited the RC and Home automation parts in, was that wrong ?

No, not at all. I mean, it was consequently downvoted, but it is the purpose of this poll to throw crazy stuff in and see what happens. :p

No, I had this nice introduction-game where you first had to choose the right options to actually get to the poll. Someone messed it up.

Someone added sex-toy questions (and then didn't even format them correctly and it was completely unclear how that was supposed to work).

Someone added sex-toy questions
full_of_win.jpg

How about a small screen on the back of the lid - like old clamshell phones?

I would use that - it would be nice to quickly check the time, see if you have mails, check battery percentage, see the song title of the current playing song, etc. With four shoulder buttons and a volume wheel, there's quite a lot you could do with such a small screen.

Only problem would be that it would likely make the lid thicker, add some cost, make the device more fragile, decrease battery life, and require custom software to make it usable in an interesting way. Maybe in some other place than the back of the lid?

I would use that - it would be nice to quickly check the time, see if you have mails, check battery percentage, see the song title of the current playing song, etc. With four shoulder buttons and a volume wheel, there's quite a lot you could do with such a small screen.

Only problem would be that it would likely make the lid thicker, add some cost, make the device more fragile, decrease battery life, and require custom software to make it usable in an interesting way. Maybe in some other place than the back of the lid?
How about instead of a whole display, have a series of LEDs on the hinge edge - like the Pandora only actually having color programable LEDs under every light pipe and a PND application to give user control over them?

I think lcd's (similar to what you have on mp3 players) use less power.

You know what would be awesome? An e-ink display. It would, by default, have the Pyra logo. But be programmable. Imagine reading on that thing! (a bit expensive though...)

http://www.seeedstudio.com/wish/affordable-e-ink-display-shields-for-the-arduino-p1508

see also http://www.pervasivedisplays.com/products/panels

edit: No, I correct myself:

This is awesome (and non-practical): http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/grove-alcohol-sensor-p-764.html

^ small piece of transparent plastic?

It might also be of note that the back of the screen may not be completely flat (the pandora's isn't)

This means that the second screen could be positioned to reduce the extra thickness needed by a mm or two

With a thickness of not even 2mm, that is very tempting. But how to protect that screen..hmm double clamshell ?
Perhaps we can have a fully transparent case, and just put that screen inside. (it would look kinda funky, not sure if it's a bonus or not)

http://www.pervasivedisplays.com/products/3QVGA

^ something like that is nice, but with a refresh time of 3 seconds, it's not really suitable for anything interactive. It would be good enough to display the time and date, battery level, title of currently playing music, maybe subject lines of incoming mails and stuff like that. Not good enough for reading a book (also because of too low resolution) or navigating a menu.

For it to really be useful for book reading, it'd need to cover most of the back side of the lid...

Hmm... taking this to an extreme. The SoC rumored to be in the running can run 4 screens and has lots of I/O possibles.

The 3 screen, four digitizer clam shell handheld computer.

5" paper white style screen with digitizer on outside of flip up lid. VERY low power draw. Could be on all the time. Used for ebook reading, song listing, etc. When open - the lower back of the screen becomes L1 and R1

Main screen inside with digitizer flip up lid. 5" 1920x1080 high color.

Game controls top half of 'base'. Bottom half has clear 1.5mm tall keys captured in a black grid over a low resolution color touchscreen. Key presses are interpreted by the digitizer. Key mappings are displayed on the screen behind the keys. Mapping & re-mapping is done in software.

4th digitizer is a digitizer layer on aluminum as the bottom/back of the console. It is one giant touch-pad. The back right and left 'zones' are L2 and R2. Mouse functions can be handled by the fingers -under- the unit.

How's that for crazy but kinda cool in a twisted way?

Back