Release FastTracker 2 Clone

Discussion in 'Software Releases' started by Farox, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ptitSeb

ptitSeb Serial Porter

Later GCC can then be buit easily from there. It's just, the glibc used on the Pandora doesn't like to modern gcc version, that's why I stick with 4.93 there.

2. 8bitbubsy

8bitbubsy Still Fresh

Apparently the CPU in the Pandora doesn't have a div instruction?! So much for that, nothing I can do.

3. ptitSeb

ptitSeb Serial Porter

No interger div if I remember correctly yes. But there should be float and double division with vfpv3

4. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

The integer based ARM core doesn't as far as I can find, but the A8 includes a floating point chip giving you FDIV/VDIV instructions at the very least. Takes some 30 or so cycles apparently, so isn't blazing fast, but is probably faster than any iterative approach.

Edit: More or less ninja'ed by ptitSeb ;)

5. Farox

Farox Certified Guru

Ok what a hell of week i had...my internet connection goes mad for all the week and plus i had a week uber full at work...:mad:

Anyway here is the recorded song (directly from the Fasttracker clone on the pandora with the option in diskop menu -> record to .wav and is the release 132 with -DLERPMIX )
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdfswplpcn3k7wg/Homecoming_pand_132.7z?dl=0

the song is called Homecoming.XM and is available here

For me is a bit metallic the song in some part...but maybe is my ears, and with previous version was a bit better...i need to know your opinions about it.

6. Farox

Farox Certified Guru

Nobody did have time to test it?

7. KidPaddle

KidPaddle Member

Sorry, i'm an unmusical person, but for me, the wave file is missing volume, seems to me to be flatter than the xm file. This can depends on player.

Thomas

Farox likes this.
  8. Farox

Farox Certified Guru

Thanks for try and reply, i was looking at the code and noted that the source of version 132 did not have a reference of LERPMIX in code...odd, maybe the author did some mistake with this version..i'll retry with a more recent release.

9. FBnil

FBnil Ready to Champion the Pyra to the World...

Sorry, I couldnt be bothered to create a dropbox account again.
    But could you tell me what I could do, for example, use a classic FT2 and export the wav and use the pandora (with latest FT2 port) and export the wav, then visualize it side by side in Audacity where you can import both wavs as stereo tracks?
    Something like this:

10. Farox

Farox Certified Guru

Maybe you could do it...but i was requesting something more simple....just listen (with earphones attached to Pandora) the song that i linked , first with the release 130 (the last on the repo) and then with the release 131 that i shared some messages ago.
    This just to prove that isn't my only impressions (of my ears) that is sound a bit better with version 130.

11. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Hardcore Member

Audio memory is about 10 seconds so you need to play both files at the same time and switch between them to hear the difference.
    I doubt the Spectrum view in Audacity will be of much use with subtle differences like a slightly more metallic sound. It would have to be very obvious to see that in such a graph.

It could also be a slightly different EQ setting between versions of fasttracker. Is there an EQ in there? If not, maybe it's hard coded and can be looked up in the source?

You could check that my way too, which involves a white noise and a 32 band spectrum analizer with hold function. :)

12. FBnil

FBnil Ready to Champion the Pyra to the World...

Farox likes this.