EXT connectors

I guess I'm still a little confused on what this will be exactly and/or what work will have to be done to these to create the cable. I know it's a plastic connector, but will it have the metal pins in it as well, and what would need to be done is solder wires to each of the pins of the connector from existing cables I'm going to cannibalize, or is there something else I'm missing?
Bare minimum is solder Somme cables to the right pins, some kind of housing or case would stop the joints breaking in 5 minutes though :D

I guess I'm still a little confused on what this will be exactly and/or what work will have to be done to these to create the cable. I know it's a plastic connector, but will it have the metal pins in it as well, and what would need to be done is solder wires to each of the pins of the connector from existing cables I'm going to cannibalize, or is there something else I'm missing?

It's just a regular connector a made of with plastic and metal components.. You solder wires to it which you can attach other connectors to... not sure how this is confusing people.

the only big deal is this connector is made by one company and it requires a large order to obtain.. can't just buy one or two you have to buy a large batch of them. Wizardstan is being nice and ordering a large batch of them and reselling them to people that want to make their own cables.

I am holding in my hands about 4 or 5 pounds of plastic and metal conveniently arranged into large quantities of connectors compatible with the Pandora's EXT port.

Gotta say, a lot smaller than I thought they'd be. Might have to be careful when pulling them out of the socket without any housing, but should be fine. There holes that the pins stick out is bigger than the pins themselves, large enough I think to tin some wire and gently insert along side the pins themselves to form a very strong bond within the plug itself.

I'll take some pictures tonight. Gotta get me some envelopes now. :)

Bare minimum is solder Somme cables to the right pins, some kind of housing or case would stop the joints breaking in 5 minutes though :D

Well, I'm glad I asked, a housing for the cable connection completely slipped my mind. That might take a little bit of doing on my part to do since I've never done anything quite like this before, unless you count house wiring and interlocking legos. *< : o )

It's just a regular connector a made of with plastic and metal components.. You solder wires to it which you can attach other connectors to... not sure how this is confusing people.

I'm more of a software guy than building hardware. I know just enough about hardware to be dangerous, and easily forget the terminology. Hence why I asked and was reminded about housing the connector in something. Kind of an important detail that slipped my mind.

Prometheus mentioned sugru a couple of times elsewhere. I'm going to try my luck with that.

Thanks for the tip btw, Prometheus :)

XBOX HUEG pictures ahead!

Comparison image to show the size:

IMG_20110518_182347.jpg

What it looks like plugged into the back of a Pandora (complete with all the scratches and abuse I've done to my Pandora :p )

IMG_20110518_182413.jpg

I dug out my iron to try and demonstrate how "easy" it is to solder here, but I couldn't find my solder so I'll need to make a run to the hobby shop or spend a day cleaning my room to try and find it... hobby shop it is :p

The pins are slightly smaller than 24 gauge solid wire. This is a 24 gauge stranded wire which I've split one of the strands out to demonstrate my thought on inserting into the hole beneath the pin, and then soldering that way. It really does look pretty simple, for someone with a reasonably steady hand, but some sugru stuff will almost certainly come in handy for giving a bit of extra strength to the joints, and give you something to grip.

IMG_20110518_184132.jpg

1st thought: Wooohooooooo!!!!! will be in time for my VJ show! :D

2nd thought: Wow, those pins are tiny, dunno if i can solder that steady :S

Still: Great news!

Cheers!

Kind of an important detail that slipped my mind.

semi-important, i've got vga cables that are just connectors and 2 bits of cat5, only problem is if you start pulling them out by the cables, pull apart pretty easily after that
I haven't read the entire thread (or anything else on the boards in the last few months), so I might have missed something, but what about just covering everything with a glob of hot glue?

I suspect that the best way to do this would be to insert a PCB between the two rows of pins and solder directly to the PCB then glue-gob it.

Unfortunately this means you'll have to etch and drill your own PCB.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the spec sheet the spacing between the two rows of pins is too small for a typical PCB, can you try to fit in a PCB between the two rows of pins of a connector for us, maybe pics of you doing this too?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read the entire thread (or anything else on the boards in the last few months), so I might have missed something, but what about just covering everything with a glob of hot glue?

i was thinking something like that, probably use somethign similar to sugru, but cheaper and solid

defiantely looks easily solderable, though i think i'll need to dig out my smaller iron tips first

pcbs aren't that hard to get hold of, just need to have acess to a university electronics department, could get 3d printed housings aswell if i wanted to spend that much

I am in also. Pledged $10, but can do more if needed. I ordered the TV out cable also, so I will use this for

something else. The question is, what else can I use it for? What other devices out there can the Pandora

access that this cable could be used for?

I am in also. Pledged $10, but can do more if needed. I ordered the TV out cable also, so I will use this for

something else. The question is, what else can I use it for? What other devices out there can the Pandora

access that this cable could be used for?

anythign that takes a/v signals, or anything that can connect to one of the 2 uarts on the ext port

Batch 1: 30 packages ready to go tomorrow. I'll PM those people after they're in the drop box.

Back