EXT connectors

Indeed, exciting times!

Already made friends with someone from the technical department at work that's going to help with the soldering.

Looks like my pandora may be the first one that's going to be used at a live VJ performance :D

Cheers, and Thanks!

WizardStan: You don't, by any chance, have any spares to sell, do you? I meant to get in before you sent out, but these past months have been hectic for me, and I haven't been keeping track as I should...

The post to Pandora Press helped clear out a lot of the spares, but I've still got a few more for any stragglers, no worries. Just PM me your details.

Second batch out the door. I had to skip a few of the larger orders because I'm using a thin foam pad to make it easier to pack so many at once and I ran out of foam, and I skipped the smaller orders because my hand was starting to cramp up from writing so many addresses and I just wanted to get through this one final tray even if it meant having to do a LOT of 3-piece orders tomorrow.

my hand was starting to cramp up from writing so many addresses
My advice would be to make a document with several columns and paste all the addresses in. Print out the pages and cut them up with scissors. That's what I've done in the past and I find that much better on the hands than writing. Now, if you were using a courier where you have to fill out waybills, that is a different story! Man, I hate doing that. :)

My advice would be to make a document with several columns and paste all the addresses in. Print out the pages and cut them up with scissors.
I considered doing that, but that would mean I'd have to go to the store and get some paste, and I'm far too lazy for that. :p

I just got confirmation my Pandora is on it's way to me. I've been eyeing this post, however I did not want to order this untill this was confirmed. Are there any left?

I just got confirmation my Pandora is on it's way to me. I've been eyeing this post, however I did not want to order this untill this was confirmed. Are there any left?
Congratulations, and welcome.

Yes, there will be plenty to go around. When WizardStan's stash runs dry, it's because the community bought them from him. That's the beauty of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
10 thousand?! Why do you need so many?

That also would have been nice to know 3 weeks ago before I embarked on this little adventure. :p

10 thousand?! Why do you need so many?

That also would have been nice to know 3 weeks ago before I embarked on this little adventure. :p
It was the minimum order size for us. You knew about this order months ago. ;)

Still, people should buy up yours first since it was a personal sacrifice you made for the planet. :)

I promise I've been trying to pay attention - I don't wanna be One Of Those People who don't - but apologies if I've missed something.

I get why the plebs have banded together to fulfil their dreams of EXT connector wonderment and non-existent TV-out cables... but what do OPT want them for?

The same grassroots hacking reasons? Or is this a new cunning plan from OPT regarding the aforementioned TV-out cables and a "Fine, we'll do it ourselves then!" way of fixing the lack of them?

NB: This is not (exactly) rampant speculation. I'm asking the question... because that's a helluva lot of connectors.

It was the minimum order size for us. You knew about this order months ago. ;)
Actually yes, we knew this. But nobody willing to sell them even if we ask for a few pieces. This is why WizardStan does this and we support him. :)

---

Lets go to bright side. Can You provide PCB layout for BoB? I can make one myself, but why if there is already one. :)

I added gerber files to this folder: http://openpandora.ca/schematic/

That will allow you to make the BoB. If you use masking and silkscreening, the reference designators will be on the board and make it easy to match against the schematic.

One side of that Tyco connector has those letters molded into it. If you mask and screen the little adapter board, it is easy to see which way to solder that connector on because I wrote it on the board. Just line them up.

hmm, i might just be able to get a run of the boards done, i'll look later if i get the time, and look into what the universities pricing is for a good 30 or so :)

I got a PM from you wizardstan, you mailed my connectors a few days ago! Thx! :)

They should arrive very soon, so I tried to find some info how to solder a useful cable and found enough on the net.

There remains only one question that may be too self-evident that I didn't ready anything explicitly about it:

The connector only has one ground pin. Do I connect all ground lines (from audioOutL/R, s-videoOutC/Y) together to this pin? But why is it that the regular Hosiden plug has two separate ground lines, one for C and one for Y?

EDIT: sry, I must have overlooked MWestons post before the last one. But I still wonder about the Hosiden plug.. :)

Now, if you were using a courier where you have to fill out waybills, that is a different story! Man, I hate doing that. :)
If the waybills are single papers get your hands on one of those old needle printers. If the positioning is done it's easy going.

Back