EXT connectors

Other thought - Is there any electronic enthusiast? I think that UART on the EXT Port could be used as serial line for accelerometer, GPS, RS232 serrial port, media player control, etc. I'll like to build something like this, especially accelerometer, GPS and media player control. But I'm not good in electronic design...

Other thought - Is there any electronic enthusiast? I think that UART on the EXT Port could be used as serial line for accelerometer, GPS, RS232 serrial port, media player control, etc. I'll like to build something like this, especially accelerometer, GPS and media player control. But I'm not good in electronic design...
Someone on the German Forums reported that the Freerunner Navigation Board v3 supports the Pandora now, it's that small that it can be placed directly inside the Pandora, check the first link for pics. It has a whole load of sensors you guys are craving for, e.g. 3D Gyroscope, Accelerometer, 3D Magnetometer...

Can someone please post detailed pictures of the connectors? I want to know how hard they will be to solder and what exactly is needed to make a cable.

Can someone please post detailed pictures of the connectors? I want to know how hard they will be to solder and what exactly is needed to make a cable.

no one has them yet :p

harder than a vga connector i'd say, not super space standard micro soldering required, but most little connectors are a bit of a pain to do well, so a half decent amount of soldering experience would probably help (and a temperature controlled station to avoid melting the connector housing too)

^ you are assuming someone actually has one.

I do tech work daily and some light engineering work and have many layout of these connectors sitting here. not sure if Wizardstan seen the connectors or not but most of the ones i have here are single super thin solder joint to all the pins encased in resin, or the way I do them myself is purchase those HTC Video/audio adapters and the plastic housing snaps open to reveal a full breakout board, you can tailor it to any need. i friggin love em lol.I have dozens of them in my bins from when I worked with my brother (Sprint tech) and he would toss em. if you got just a connector no shell nothing then you will need to make a small pcb to route the wire, yes its doable inside those tiny shells using thin pcb you can cut with sizzors, or option B, massive mess unless you already own a microscope. not sure if you guys can go the HTC route at this point for video cables but in the future try getting those in bulk for an all in one solution. can post a picture later if you want of the different cabling ive done to micro usb and ext.

Edit: those HTC cables were also cheap when you consider they had all the wires and a tiny breakout with females. the chargers sucked cause they excluded all but charge pins.

Edit2: for UART i would use an FT232RL, it has options for adapting the IO using the source voltages. dont get much simpler, forget max232 and old tech.

Last edited by a moderator:

Connector Schematic

Pandora Side:

Cable_connector_pinout.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - 14 pins total.

First 6 signal + 1 ground + 1 power...

8 pin female (2x4) header (internal USB type) for the 6 UART connections plus a ground and a power out pin.

Next 4+1...

Line in L

Line in R

Line out L

Line out R

As 4 female RCA

Last 2...

TV output as either RCA (composite) or Svideo.

What I see is a 4" cable to a 1.5"x1.5x.5" box with 6 female connectors around 3 ends and the source cable on the 4th.

Other than the general unavailability of the connector itself, Am I missing something?

Is the connector available as a pig tail? (Connector and 6" of wires pre-soldered in shrink tube)

I've emailed to ask for an update on shipping. Should get a response tomorrow, I hope.

GRENCH: Yep. BreakOutBoard would be nice:
DSC01409.jpg
(taken from MW photobucket).

Actually, every application has its own "the best" option. For RS232 adapter it could be 1 or 2 serial ports, for TV out it could be S-Video/Composite and/or audio out. IMHO.

Shipped yesterday. ETA is tonight. Since they're being delivered to the office instead of home that probably means I won't get them until tomorrow. 6.4 pounds of plastic is on its way :D

Thursday I should start sending them out. Thanks guys! Two Months? More like two weeks!

Oh boy .. hopefully my Pandora will arrive somewhere in the next month ...

I guess I'm still a little confused on what this will be exactly and/or what work will have to be done to these to create the cable. I know it's a plastic connector, but will it have the metal pins in it as well, and what would need to be done is solder wires to each of the pins of the connector from existing cables I'm going to cannibalize, or is there something else I'm missing?

Back