EXT connectors

Hey!

Is there any tutorial of how made this wire?

I mean, I'm lucky to know how the connector looks like, but I have no idea of what kind of wires do you need, what should be at the other side, If I can buy one already done (not much hope on this)

Is there any other option? HDMI? VgA? instead of just TV Out?

Is there any tutorial of how made this wire?
Check out the Hardware Hack guide in the Pandora Wiki.

Is there any other option? HDMI? VgA? instead of just TV Out?
the SoC used on the Pandora can only drive a single digital out at a time and that is used on the LCD.. Analog out is the only thing the EXT connector can output I'm afraid.. I made a S-Video cable and when using a PAL output instead of NTSC it's almost as good visually as component cables outputting 480p.

Last edited by a moderator:
PM sent.

If these ARE what I think they are...something that would connect to the Pandy, which would then allow us to connect av cables to the TV...then I'm in for fifteen bucks plus postage, for a tops total of 20 bucks.

Should someone with a bit of solder experience step up and offer selfmade TV-out cables then I'm in.
laugh.gif
I ditto this.

I am in if someone can either make me the cable...or give me step by step instructions on how to do it myself.

I, myself do not have a soldering iron, or much experience, but my next door neighbor DOES...and if detailed instructions could be given, I bet he could help me out.  Also, would not mind having TWO of the connectors at the fifteen-twenty price I mentioned, now that I see ED's shop sells them for five bucks.  Could put them both in the same envelope to save on shipping, and you still come out ahead.

I would also HOPE at least some of the profit derived from this might go back into helping a few waiting folks to get their Pandy's.

Nooope.

That's the stuff I WAS looking at that made me all wobbly-eyed and soft-brained.

The kind of instructions I would need are more like this:

A. Locate the TOP of the plug...so that, if you plug it into the Pandora...the top refers to the top...and as you are looking at it.

B. Solder wire X to the second pin from the left on the top row of pins.

C. Solder wire Y to the fourth pin from the left on the bottom row of pins.

D. Solder wire Z to the second pin from the left on the bottom row of pins.

Presto!

THOSE are the kind of directions I need.

All the tech-talk makes me batty, I can't wrap my brain around it.

That's what it basically says though. There's not really any tech talk you need to think about, just solder wires to the pins it tells you to.

But it doesn't tell me which pins IN A WAY I UNDERSTAND.

I do not understand, know, or even want to know what each and every pin is for.

I just wanna know hook wire A to Pin X wire B to Pin Y and wire C to Pin Z.

Nothing more.

Nothing more.
But that's exactly what you get on page 8 of the PDF guide linked from the wiki -

(Below the diagram with the labelled pins)

if you are looking at the pins of your EXT connector, with the sloped corners pointing UP, then 'Line Out L' is the top left pin, 'Line Out R' is the bottom left and so on
Line Out being the audio - so with the cable that ends in RCA Phono plugs that you would connect to Left/Right audio IN on your TV or Amp, those pins would need to connect with the corresponding Left and Right center wire of the audio cables (the wires that terminate in the 'pins' in the ends you connect to your TV or Amp).

The Video out (composite video, same connector as audio: another RCA Phono as in all the photos) is the same - the TV-out pin needs to connect to the center pin of the RCA phono plug that you will connect to the Video In connection of your display device (Ground 'gnd' goes to the wire that terminates in the outer ring at the other end of the phono plugs you connect to your A/V devices)

As others have found, these are veeeeery small solder jobs - show your friend the pdf, if they are used to soldering it should be straightforward to understand - but take care, it's such a teeny area to work with it might be a big ask (and an expensive disaster).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading the post on how to make a video out cable, it specified a resistor for the video out to be in composite  and that a future pandora kernel update would make that unneccesary. The post was written in 2011 so I'm just wondering do you need the resistor now for compsite video out? 

It is no longer necessary, we have svideo and composite outputs selectable, plus a bunch of other useful options

Nothing more.
But that's exactly what you get on page 8 of the PDF guide linked from the wiki -

(Below the diagram with the labelled pins)

>if you are looking at the pins of your EXT connector, with the sloped corners pointing UP, then 'Line Out L' is the top left pin, 'Line Out R' is the bottom left and so on
Line Out being the audio - so with the cable that ends in RCA Phono plugs that you would connect to Left/Right audio IN on your TV or Amp, those pins would need to connect with the corresponding Left and Right center wire of the audio cables (the wires that terminate in the 'pins' in the ends you connect to your TV or Amp).

The Video out (composite video, same connector as audio: another RCA Phono as in all the photos) is the same - the TV-out pin needs to connect to the center pin of the RCA phono plug that you will connect to the Video In connection of your display device (Ground 'gnd' goes to the wire that terminates in the outer ring at the other end of the phono plugs you connect to your A/V devices)

As others have found, these are veeeeery small solder jobs - show your friend the pdf, if they are used to soldering it should be straightforward to understand - but take care, it's such a teeny area to work with it might be a big ask (and an expensive disaster).
The expensive disaster is exactly what I'm afraid of!!

If you had soldered wires wrong, and then hook to your Pandy...could it fry your Pandy?

If so, I'm just not willing to take on that risk.  I'll wait for the official cables or see if someone here will be kind eough to make me one that actually is right.  For a fee, of course.  But I don't want to risk frying my Pandy, that's a hell of an expenive thing to fry.

If you had soldered wires wrong, and then hook to your Pandy...could it fry your Pandy?
Unlikely (but a heroic attempt could possibly achieve it) - what's more a risk is shorting out a couple of pins, that could cause harm - soldering on a small scale (and this fits that description) is pretty difficult, with such tiny gaps you need to double-check there's no chance your work has/will result in any points shorting.

Unlikely (but a heroic attempt could possibly achieve it) - what's more a risk is shorting out a couple of pins, that could cause harm - soldering on a small scale (and this fits that description) is pretty difficult, with such tiny gaps you need to double-check there's no chance your work has/will result in any points shorting.
Well, given that my neighbor has done a lot of exacting soldering in making the electronics of his model railroad work...I suppose HE would be able to do this...I probably don't have the steady hand or the skill,

As a model railway nutter myself, I'd be surprised if your neighbour has done anything on such a small scale.

Its possible, but I'd expect anyone seeking out the high-precision aspects of model wiring to be a keen electronic engineer. Is he?

I think so.  He's done some pretty detail work on this thing he has.  He has a circuit board which lights up where his train is, so he can see when it is in tunnels, he hooked up lights for it...I'd have to show it to him to see if he COULD...and of course, if he WOULD.

Might just be easier to find a kind sould HERE who will make one for me.

Or wait for the damn TV cables if they ever come!!

Or maybe for them to take and make a plug in that you could then plug regular av cables into or something...

Back