EXT connectors

I came home last night to find not only an envelope containing connectors from WizardStan, but also the TinyBoBs I ordered from Peca... I've got to wonder what were the odds that they would arrive on the same day. :)

-Neelix

WTF! Someone submitted the blog post and one of my pandora ext-tvout video's to hackaday, and they even placed it :blink:

Had hoped to be there some day, but with something a bit more interesting than soldering 3 wires :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a diagram that goes good to help eleviate confusion of the pins on the EXT connector. I have a wholesaler who has 70 in stock and getting me a price for them. Thanks for all the hard work!

pandorovideoouta.jpg

pandorovideooutb.jpg

Oh oh oh... looks like I missed the time to get them... Are they still available somewhere? I'd like to buy some...

Sooooo? If I use CAT 6E cable to make a tv out cable. How much would be too much before I suffered from signal degradation? Would it be feasible to use it in the first place? :blink:

Sooooo? If I use CAT 6E cable to make a tv out cable. How much would be too much before I suffered from signal degradation? Would it be feasible to use it in the first place? :blink:

It would certainly be possible to do it with CAT 6, but I very much doubt that it would be the best option. The main thing you need to consider would be what kind of connector you want to end with (e.g. composite, S-Video, etc.), but no matther how you did it you would need a large block or a BOB plus extension to make the connections line up as needed.

Assuming you're going for composite, I'd just suggest using individual wires and then melting some heat-shrink around it.

Well I was going to use a composite cable and connect it to a composite to VGA box and push it into my HD Projector. I'm waiting on a email back on a batch of 70 EXT connectors I am looking at. I have plenty of CAT6e cable to play with. I think connecting it to the EXT cable won't be hard as I do have soldering skills. I'm curious as why the EXT Port is only using composite out. Is this scripted or hardwired? :blink:

Well I was going to use a composite cable and connect it to a composite to VGA box and push it into my HD Projector. I'm waiting on a email back on a batch of 70 EXT connectors I am looking at. I have plenty of CAT6e cable to play with. I think connecting it to the EXT cable won't be hard as I do have soldering skills. I'm curious as why the EXT Port is only using composite out. Is this scripted or hardwired? :blink:

It's hardwired, the hardware is only capable of having one Digital out which goes to the LCD and an Analog out ie Composite/svideo out.. I built a S-Video connector and it looks fairly decent.. I'd say the color and sharpness is as good as component cables.. just doesn't have the higher resolution.. This is when using PAL mode, which isn't normally a north American standard.. but my HD projector can handle it. PAL looks much better than NTSC which seems a bit blurred and text is harder to read..

Hmmmmm...I may need to tinker then..I'm wondering if I could get the schematic for the digital out to the LCD. I have evil in mind. It sucks that PAL is the format. Sorry I have never had issues with NTSC which of course is what I'm working with.

Hmmmmm...I may need to tinker then..I'm wondering if I could get the schematic for the digital out to the LCD. I have evil in mind. It sucks that PAL is the format. Sorry I have never had issues with NTSC which of course is what I'm working with.

Well PAL is inherently better looking than NTSC, just because it sends color control info by modulating that info into the signal.. You just need to swap modes on the Pandora and you will notice the difference.

Damn you!! and the wretched PAL! I'll conceed...(grumble, grumble) to PAL. Thanks..lol. :blink:

NTSC is 720 x 487 active lines (first and last lines are half lines) vs PAL being 720 x 576. The increase in vertical resolution is why PAL looks sharper in fine detail.

Just a quick note to confirm that composite cables without the capacitor now display colour in HF6b1, and that I have uploaded a new version of the EXT cables guide here.

Just a quick note to confirm that composite cables without the capacitor now display colour in HF6b1, and that I have uploaded a new version of the EXT cables guide here.

Thumbs up, very complete again!

If you want to homebuild and are not a pro: Read that guide! :)

Back