Exam Results This Week...

sebastian_insua: University of Bath - got my acceptance letter today.

Looking at the grades, 480/600 is the borderline... two of my grades were ~500, but the other two were ~482 or something which is ridiculous. Then again, an A is an A, luckily they haven't brought in multiple A-grades yet (A-, A, A+ or something, as planned) to differentiate people.

its bloody annoying from the otherside though, i got 477 for my politics!

now, to spend the money on two remarks with the hope of gaining 1.5 marks on each or to just live with the current result?

it'd look pretty on my CV...

I can imagine... personally I think if you get what you need to go to Uni, don't worry about it. Most of the time people ask you how many A-levels you got, not what exact grades. Still if you feel that you'll get the extra 3 marks or whatever it might be worth £30 or whatever.

A degree is more a mark of your ability to learn and apply knowledge and survive living on your own and all that jazz
Exactly :)
Speaking as someone who has recruited a few people, I only read cv's from people with a degree and I don't really care what the degree is in. Anyone without a degree gets ignored, no matter what else they may have that could make them ideal for the job. A degree shows a big difference in a persons ability to learn quickly (and if you can't learn quick you're not much use to me). At school you are pushed to do well, there are different classes for different levels of ability, and teachers will slow down if they notice the class is having difficulty. At university you are expected to do lots of work/research on your own, the lecturers move at the speed they want to move at, and they really couldn't care less if you pass or fail because lecturing is just the thing that pays the bills (all a lecturer cares about is their research work). I know that if I employ someone with a degree then they will be able to learn quickly, work on their own without me having to check on them every 5 minutes, and most importantly they will either let me know when they have finished a job or work out for themselves what they should be working on next (you won't believe the amount of times I've seen non-degree people finish a job then sit around waiting for someone to tell them what to do next).

Oh, and in case you are wondering, 10 years ago I got A, C, D (Maths, Physics and Chemistry). But A levels were much harder back then ;)

I havent read the whole thread :rolleyes: but I can only offer some of my thoughts:

Back in the day, I had to drop french A level since it was a rock subject, I then came out with History and Geography at C grade. All my peers had like triple A's and stuff. I then went to Uni in Plymouth and got a 2:1 honours degree in Business Information Management Systems.

I have since worked for British Airways, Argos eCommerce and now am at BP. Those same people who had the triple A's and stuff, well, checking on that pants site friends reunited, a lot of them did degrees in english literature etc.. and are now finding it difficult to get in the door at large companies. Its not their fault, but they lack the ability to hit the road running.

In the great scheme of things the A-levels are a drop in the ocean. The degree is FAR more important. If you're going to be a fat cat like me, then go for a degree with a year's work placement since this gives you an edge over the 3 year people. (in terms of experience). The degree is also your ticket to getting a job anywhere in the world. (I'm personally hoping to move to the US in the not too distant future :D)

lizard808uk posted on Aug 20 2004 at 03:57 PM said:
The degree is FAR more important. If you're going to be a fat cat like me, then go for a degree with a year's work placement since this gives you an edge over the 3 year people. (in terms of experience).
I think I have this locked down. I'm getting a semi-practical but fairly general degree (Computer Science) sandwich course with a year out... I've been working for 3 years in retail and this summer I've been doing real freelance web jobs which I hope will provide enough experience.

Contrast to my mate who was featured on the local paper and got 6 As at A-level (!) but hasn't worked an hour of his life.

However you have a business degree and probably motivation to move up in the business world. I suspect that a managerial position is fairly easy for you to acquire. In my case I have no such aspirations. I don't like to be told what to do, and I don't think I'll do well in the corporate ladder at all if such an opportunity arises.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, well done everyone who's got what they need, and commiserations to those who haven't...

Personally, I'm now looking at As in maths and English, Bs in RS and Physics, and a distinction in the english AEA... not too shabby, I think :)

Bs are very much in the middle, though, so no point getting any remarks or whatever. Especially since I only needed BBB to get into my chosen uni (Edinburgh for philosophy - should be fun :) )

Back