Just Got The Wiz This Week

wongojack

Still Fresh
Website
facebook.com
Sorry for the longish post. I just got the Wiz this week and even though it is no longer being manufactured, it is exciting to see the developers on this forum who are involved in dev competitions and actually responding to posts about emulation etc. Hopefully those who are involved in Pandora will share their love by porting software to the Wiz for us.

I also want to encourage the community on here that people are still finding out about the Wiz and are interested in this device. I showed it, running MAME, to a work buddy of mine whose jaw kinda dropped. We are both in the tech industry and have lots of experience (as consumers) with emulators so this thing is pretty genius.

I was wondering if there are any lessons learned from other users that would be helpful to know up front now that I'm starting to get into the Wiz. I've made the various emulators work and am sorting through the tools and downloads to get the roms I want onto the device, but just wondering if there are any common tweaks, alternate firmware, or other tips that would be helpful for a noob. Since I'm focused on the emulation, I don't really know what else is out there.

Some shotgun questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to on the various boards:
1) Is there any disadvantage to using a very large (16gb) SDHC card? Any performance difference at all between various SD cards?

2) Any way to just load software directly to the Wiz's internal storage?

3) I found the openhandhelds site, but is there any central place to view all of the homebrew and other wiz games that have been created? Anyone providing some kind of rating system for these games? Are there wiz games for sale?

4) For the comic viewer - If I zoom in all the way I can just barely read text. Are there any enhancements or tips for the comic viewer?

5) PSX4all - not many options in the app itself, so I guess there's not much troubleshooting to do, but I am trying to load games that others seem to report as working (Vagrant Story). My .bin loads in a PC emulator but just gets stuck on the opening load screen on the Wiz - any advice for that game or others?

6) Does anyone have a list of websites that have various Wiz updates etc? I think I've probably found the most helpful ones, but I want to make sure I'm not missing somethning.

wongojack said:
Sorry for the longish post. I just got the Wiz this week and even though it is no longer being manufactured, it is exciting to see the developers on this forum who are involved in dev competitions and actually responding to posts about emulation etc. Hopefully those who are involved in Pandora will share their love by porting software to the Wiz for us.

I also want to encourage the community on here that people are still finding out about the Wiz and are interested in this device. I showed it, running MAME, to a work buddy of mine whose jaw kinda dropped. We are both in the tech industry and have lots of experience (as consumers) with emulators so this thing is pretty genius.

I was wondering if there are any lessons learned from other users that would be helpful to know up front now that I'm starting to get into the Wiz. I've made the various emulators work and am sorting through the tools and downloads to get the roms I want onto the device, but just wondering if there are any common tweaks, alternate firmware, or other tips that would be helpful for a noob. Since I'm focused on the emulation, I don't really know what else is out there.

Some shotgun questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to on the various boards:
1) Is there any disadvantage to using a very large (16gb) SDHC card? Any performance difference at all between various SD cards?

2) Any way to just load software directly to the Wiz's internal storage?

3) I found the openhandhelds site, but is there any central place to view all of the homebrew and other wiz games that have been created? Anyone providing some kind of rating system for these games? Are there wiz games for sale?

4) For the comic viewer - If I zoom in all the way I can just barely read text. Are there any enhancements or tips for the comic viewer?

5) PSX4all - not many options in the app itself, so I guess there's not much troubleshooting to do, but I am trying to load games that others seem to report as working (Vagrant Story). My .bin loads in a PC emulator but just gets stuck on the opening load screen on the Wiz - any advice for that game or others?

6) Does anyone have a list of websites that have various Wiz updates etc? I think I've probably found the most helpful ones, but I want to make sure I'm not missing somethning.
For the first question it is okay to use, but when you want (or need if you messed something :p ) reflash firmware, you need non-SDHC

2.) Yes, when you plug cable into Wiz, select NAND and there is game directory ;)

Regards

SaS

Last edited by a moderator:
Back