Erm, what?

lhn555

Still Fresh
So, I ordered my Pandora maybe a year ago. I've got it, but the cable to connect it to my TV hasn't arrived. We've emailed the Pandora team to no avail. What's up?

The TV out cables are in a state of limbo at the moment. The original source pulled out and they are currently negotiating a new source. Don't fret, you'll get your cable. It's just going to be a bit delayed.

I *think* they may materialize fairly soon!

But don't quote me on that. =3

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

A certain local dragon has some Christmas presents for us.

As mindlord said, unfortunately the situation is that once upon a time (auld lang syne) the Pandora was offered up for pre-order and along with it a TV-Out cable (sometime backend of 2008) which did both exist as prototype units at that point. The Pandora hit mass production for a short time before all kinds of calamities got in the way, stalling further production multiple times.

The TV cables were assured by the company responsible for manufacturing them, to be available quickly when wanted, however they wanted a minimum order of 10, 000 cables, so that put pay to that idea. Open Pandora company did have the proprietory connectors already though apparently, but community requests to get some proved fruitless for awhile.

So community member WizardStan, who works alot on the firmware and battery charging issues, took it upon himself to mass order a batch of the connectors to a private individuals business. These were split off and sent out to forum member Peca in Brazil, who designed and ordered custom breakout boards for these connectors to be soldered to and he himself, then, took on large orders for custom built TV-Out cables to be built in his spare time and shipped to interested Pandora owners.

In recent times Evil Dragon has taken over the Pandora production from Craigix and has moved production to Germany, following some drives for investment which the community itself rose to the required financial bar for. This means new Pandora production will resume shortly.

Sadly, amongst the brave Sir EvilDragons plans, was the slaying of the Idiot Lampterns Wyrm, which had already eluded almost everyone with its cunning ability to disappear when sought, or to not render the X10's of its existence to any but the most terminal of us a11.

The EvilDragon did battle with the Chinese Lion to get the cables under wraps but despite promising to deliver the wyrms as planned, they scuttled for cover, leaving the EvilDragon to scour the lands in partial defeat. The EvilDragon was not yet bested though and thus, has sought the grail in the lands of the old Germanic production grounds of his upbringing and there, amidst the creativity behind the nub song, the Wyrm like cables of the Lantern of the easily bejewelled, will shortly be arriving and you can all kiss good bye to your Pandora handhelds and your freed existence, as you once again, become a slave to the big screen, the big productivity, that once could be placed within a forgotten pocket of your minds eyes cargo pants!

In other words, yo have two options. The official TV cables will be finally built soon (give it a few months perhaps) and everyone that ever ordered one will receive that which he reaped to sow. Alternatively , you can contact Peca on these forums and enquire if he has the will to live to make yet another Tv Out cable in his spare time.

(give it a few months perhaps)

Two months?
trollface.png

I am in the exact same condition. Ordered my Pandora years ago, and still no TV-Out cable. What makes this worse is that back before the Pandora launched, I made a thread on GP32X asking how much the TV-Out cable would cost. Craigix himself then said that it would be included for free, then went on a rant about how other companies rip you off by charging so much for cables that cost next to nothing, specifically calling out the PSP video out cables, IIRC.

We all know how it turned out in the end. I still payed for the cable, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth, which has only worsened over the past two years.

Sorry to hear of your feelings there Palmertech but I understand. However, I in no way care 'myself' as to where my bloody cable is, or such like. It's 20 bucks, paid out in 2008, to a small company of visionaries who actually managed to make a remarkable product that bests much of its even latter day competition in its capabilities, ergonomics and future potential and who actually brought it to market, despite such odds. Delays sure. But I still back the concept and its people and I'd trust them more than any politician, banker, journalist or spokesman for any other company nowadays.

So rest assured that your cable will arrive eventually, as will your Pandora if you are still unfortunately without one. It will hopefully fullfill a few expectations and leave you wanting only the survival of an ambitious project thereafter, to see what further trump cards they have to offer.

However, I in no way care 'myself' as to where my bloody cable is, or such like.
I would normally agree with you, but I went away with friends for a weekend, and it really would have been handy to be able to use it as a media box whilst we're chilling out with a few drinks. I've come close to cancelling the cable a few times in order to acquire elsewhere or try and build my own (if it's possible)

I know exactly what you mean, don't get me wrong. The Pandora will prove truly awesome with the cables for many purposes and my hat goes off to those that organised the community movement to self source and build their own versions during the delay. I have little doubt that ED will get this situation sorted out in Germany in a very short time though and then all the cable pre-orders will start to roll out and we will see a great deal of renewed enthusiasm/innovation in how the Pandora can be used.

I would have gone with one of Peca's custom cables when he first offered them personally, as I haven't used a soldering iron in 20 years but I didn't feel right offering less than $50 bucks or more realistically £50 for his personal worktime, as he bit off alot there. Sadly £50 is disposable income I no longer have, so I am happy to wait until ED gets things sorted. I see little point in trying to claw back the £20 for the official cable via a refund however and feel that could land OPT in a financial mess if tons of people pulled their money. Its money well spent, long ago.

Its certainly possible to build your own though and if Wizardstan no longer has connectors or TinyBobs, or if Peca is fed up with making them still, then I believe Links ithic.com USA based store still sells the TinyBobs and if your handy, you can give it a try. I'd PM Peca first though and see if he's still into making custom cables.

edit: Forgot to say that if your still intending to port some of your coding projects to Pandora sometime, then it would be nice to see your re-working of the Last Ninja games on the OP :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its certainly possible to build your own though and if Wizardstan no longer has connectors or TinyBobs, or if Peca is fed up with making them still, then I believe Links ithic.com USA based store still sells the TinyBobs and if your handy, you can give it a try. I'd PM Peca first though and see if he's still into making custom cables.
I had a look on the Wiki for a schematic, but there doesn't seem to be anything on the cables. What's special about the connectors (I don't have my Pandora with me today to look)?

edit: Forgot to say that if your still intending to port some of your coding projects to Pandora sometime, then it would be nice to see your re-working of the Last Ninja games on the OP :)
So far, I've not got much further on Hot Pursuit - I've just had no time this December. But yeah, I'll probably get around to it

Back